Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:22 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Allowing dogs in an apartment is crazy. As a renter, I'm currently in a 4 apartment building, 2 have cats, 1 has a bird, and I have a rabbit. The people below us have 3 cats, and it's a small apartment. I'm okay with hearing the cats, when I hear their thuds or running or playing I actually enjoy it, happy cats, happy life. But, dogs? I can't. Constantly barking, pooping outside, destroying the three yards of grass we all share. No. When a dog visits, I go over and play with them, but not full time. I gotta hear dogs barking around the neighborhood as it is, and it drove me crazy when I had a different working shift.

And when we eventually move, if the landlord charges us for damage (even though it's as is carpet, eww, already have a thread about it) I will pay without complaining to her because we were the last ones in the unit, and my animal HAS done damage, it's my responsibility to fix it.

But dogs? No way.

If it was a rented out house, or duplex or whatever with a private backyard, then I wouldn't care as much. But even I see, with my age group, how people are never responsible for their actions, nothing is ever their fault. The entitlement of it all, can't stand it.
Cats can be destructive by tearing up carpet and urinating on carpet. But this can be easily fixed with cleaning or replacing the carpet.

Dogs are another story. They can bark at all hours of the day, run all over the floor (which is awful to hear as a downstairs neighbor), and can destroy just about anything in the apartment. In my youth, I rented a crappy house with windowsills and door frames that looked like this:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 01:45 PM

539 posts, read 566,196 times
^
I meant with what fellow tenants have to endure when some jerkoff gets a dog in a tiny apartment with no yard.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:30 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
^
I meant with what fellow tenants have to endure when some jerkoff gets a dog in a tiny apartment with no yard.
I honestly think it's pretty cruel to have a larger breed dog in an apartment. Some of those dogs are super active and need a big place to run around. When they get bored, they start tearing up stuff.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:41 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I honestly think it's pretty cruel to have a larger breed dog in an apartment. Some of those dogs are super active and need a big place to run around. When they get bored, they start tearing up stuff.
Congratz on your 3000th post!

Anyway, not everyone has the luxury of choosing the ideal place to live. Sometimes you gotta take who'll take you.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:03 PM

539 posts, read 566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Congratz on your 3000th post!

Anyway, not everyone has the luxury of choosing the ideal place to live. Sometimes you gotta take who'll take you.
If you're going to say that, then don't get a dog if you don't have your ideal place. If it's not satisfactory to you, why bring other lives into it?

Old 12-05-2016, 04:07 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Quote:
If you're going to say that, then don't get a dog if you don't have your ideal place. If it's not satisfactory to you, why bring other lives into it?
Sometimes owning the dog precedes the need to find a new place to move. Sometimes people are unwilling to part with a family member when circumstances change - even if it's just a dog.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Dogs can be walked/run/exercised outside. If I had a yard, my dog might sniff around out there, but she wouldn't exercise. I need to walk her.

Yards aren't necessary. It always comes back to the owner just being responsible to train and exercise their dogs.

I live in a 115 square foot studio apartment with my rat terrier. She and I took 3 half-hour walks today, where she could be off leash to run and I made sure she did. Otherwise, she pretty much just sleeps when we're home. She's crashed out next to me in my chair right now.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Dogs can be walked/run/exercised outside. If I had a yard, my dog might sniff around out there, but she wouldn't exercise. I need to walk her.

Yards aren't necessary. It always comes back to the owner just being responsible to train and exercise their dogs.

I live in a 115 square foot studio apartment with my rat terrier. She and I took 3 half-hour walks today, where she could be off leash to run and I made sure she did. Otherwise, she pretty much just sleeps when we're home. She's crashed out next to me in my chair right now.
I totally agree...you don't use a backyard to exercise your dog...that's what walks and dog parks are for. I think it's cruel for someone to stick their dog in the backyard and call it good. A dog needs exercise, but it also needs/wants to be with its people.

My dog (55lbs) grew up in two units..both 1200 sf and never, ever chewed a wall, carpet, windowsill, furniture, shoe or anything else that wasn't his toy. He's walked several times a day and enjoys his time at the dog park where he can run off leash and play with the other dogs.

lepoisson: A bored dog is a dog that is not being exercised enough by its human...don't blame the dog...blame the human. The pic you posted was due to a dog being bored and unsupervised...no one to blame but the human. If the dog had been properly exercised, supervised and trained, I doubt that damage would've happened.

Both cats and dogs can cause tremendous amounts of damage and there's no way I'd accept pets (all pets..not just dogs and cats) if I had rentals.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:20 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
Before I had my first house I got a female ridgeback puppy....then five years into her life I adopted her littermate from a family who could not care for her anymore. All of this happened while I was in an apartment....a one bedroom. It was a pain to find a place to rent with two large dogs. I paid the required fees and paid when I moved out due to accidents and such.....never fussed or put up a fight because I knew the rules. Both beautiful dogs where AKC Canine good citizens.....where AKC field champions and one was almost finished in the show ring. Both got the best food available and got to spend a considerable amount of time in the beautiful mountains of the Pacific Northwest. All of this is to say that it is not a given that a person who has a dog in an apartment is negelectful or ignorant. And there are some very responsible pet owners looking for an apartment.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:22 PM

27 posts, read 19,671 times
A lot of people's opinions and I see both sides of the discussion, I have rentals that are pet friendly but as I have put before I am very lucky and actually know all of my tenants. I had a couple who had two very "playful" dogs and we made a great deal the carpet was in need of being replaced before they moved in but I told him no pet deposit and we will leave the old carpet and replace after he leaves. He had no other damage than the carpet so it worked out. I know that isn't the norm and if are a pet owner and you rent that should be put into your buget. I think a few should be included with your deposit some non refundable the rest depends on damage. The non refundable part is not used for pet damage but wear and tear. I do not care if your pets are the best behaved and you are a responsible owner animals leave wear and tear (other than accidents) there is hair and dander. I own my home and have 3 dogs and 2 cats I brush my dogs a couple times a week and I vacuum daily but my carpet wi wear out more quickly. I do not agree that dogs are always more distractible than cats because one of my old cats caused more damage than all of my dogs. If you choose for your rental to pet free that is your right if you allow pets don't judge all pet owners on one bad one. You can't alway tell how good of owners they are even in a interview or catch something durning an inspection or that they won't hide more pets than are allowed. Big dogs or certain breeds don't always cause more damage my pit bull is more quiet than my other little ones and has never had an accident (other two not so much along with other issues). You can only protect yourself from so much damage so know that it might happen one day. If your a renter and live in an apartment that allows pets expect there might be dog poop or a barking dog at not the best time but that's life. I don't normally think big dogs should be in apartments but there are the ones who's owners give them exercise and they are happy (part of being a responsible pet owner) Other than that I have a friend who lives in an apartment complex and they advertise they love pets and have two dog parks if you go that way I think it's a smart niche. Lastly I think children cause way more damage than pets. Don't blame the pets blame the owners.

Sorry if long and bad spelling or grammar I'm just giving my opinion typing on my phone and not really concerned about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting