Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 875 times

Advertisements

I recently fell into financial trouble and was evicted from an apartment for being unable to pay rent. I gave my landlord a new address and they already had an email for both my boyfriend and i but we never received a bill and were just notified he's in collections for 8,000 and I am for 7,000. At they legally obligated to notify me when it was Sen to collections or just the bill explaining my deposit being taken (which I never recieved)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 04:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
You forfeited your deposit when you stopped paying rent, so I'm not sure why you think you'd be getting any of it back.

The collection company won't be able to break down the bill, but if you reach out to your landlord they might. They aren't under any obligation to do so, but they might if you're nice about it.

Was this court ordered eviction? I'm assuming by what you're saying that you didn't go to court because this bill wouldn't have been a surprise to you if you had gone.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:27 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Well, within 14, 15, 21 or 30 days (depending on your state) of your move out, they are obligated to give you a breakdown of where your deposit went. But if you were evicted, your deposit probably all went to rent, and the eviction paperwork very possibly states that, which would serve as legal notice.

As for the collections, if you made them fully evict you, there are a lot of costs associated with that. That is why we always tell people when they can't pay rent that they can move voluntarily and owe us a small amount on top of their deposit for cleaning and repairs or they can make us take them to court and owe us thousands. Their choice.

I don't deal with collection companies, so I don't know what the rules are on attempting to bill first. I know you can't get a judgment without serving the tenant with paperwork, but you said "collection", not "judgment", which are not the same thing. I don't think the collection companies care what attempts were made to collect first.

You have the right to protest the collection, but if the landlord can provide documentation showing that you do, in fact, owe the money, the collection agency won't remove it. I don't think that part matters whether the landlord can prove they sent you a bill or not.

But let's cut to the chase and be honest. If you had received the $8000 bill, would you have paid it, or would it have ended up in collections anyway? I'm guessing the latter, in which case, this conversation is a moot point.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You received the bill. That is your notification that you have been sent to collections. If you have proof that you paid it off, then you can present that proof to the collection agency and they will drop you and go after the landlord to get their fee returned.

Since you were evicted for not paying the rent, I suspect that you knew you left owing money.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
An Eviction is the end of a long and costly process and it boggles the mind why someone would wait for the Sheriff to put them out when the writing is on the wall...

At least this is how it works in my part of California.

I try to avoid them when possible by having a heart to heart talk stating the obvious... they will be vacating and we can do it the hard way or the easy way...

No one wakes up one morning without a clue they are being evicted.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:20 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananarichards96 View Post
I recently fell into financial trouble and was evicted from an apartment for being unable to pay rent. I gave my landlord a new address and they already had an email for both my boyfriend and i but we never received a bill and were just notified he's in collections for 8,000 and I am for 7,000. At they legally obligated to notify me when it was Sen to collections or just the bill explaining my deposit being taken (which I never recieved)
They are not required to notify you that they will be sending your debt to collections before doing so. At this stage, you have very little protections so long as they follow the regulations under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Your first action is to educate yourself on debts and collections, followed by asking for verification that this debt is even legal. Start here:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ebt-collection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting