Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
OP, I don't know where you live but, you can check with the county clerk's office and see if they have a Rent Escrow dept. This is a procedure whereby you send your landlord a written notice of all your complaints and your intention to deposit your rent with the court if the problem is not resolved in 30 days. Then on day 31 go deposit your rent with the court; this protects you. They will notify the landlord and schedule a mediation hearing to try to resolve the problem. No fee on your part - a small fee is deducted from the rent money which the landlord has to eat, so to speak. Your rent money stays with the court until YOU decide to release it.

This will not endear you to your landlord, but hitting him/her in the wallet will ensure some action. You can't be evicted for using the procedure.

This won't work for the OP; you can't withhold rent because you can hear your neighbor snore. You can withhold rent if the your landlord doesn't do timely repairs to your unit. But, he can go ahead contact the court and maybe they can put some sense into him regarding this 'noise'.

If the neighbors are having wild loud parties, fighting like cats and dogs, or booming music during 'quiet time', he is free to contact the police. However, daily living noise (which is what he's complaining about) will not be addressed but the police or the landlord. In fact, in my area if you call the police for stupid ****, they will end up fining YOU.

So, the OP either needs to deal with it or move. OCD be damned...if you know you have mental issues...don't live in a multi family unit.

I agree with Oregon...I wouldn't' renew his lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 07:18 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,399 times
[quote=Kim in FL;46469493]This won't work for the OP; you can't withhold rent because you can hear your neighbor snore. You can withhold rent if the your landlord doesn't do timely repairs to your unit. But, he can go ahead contact the court and maybe they can put some sense into him regarding this 'noise'.

on the snoring a judge laugh you out of court the repair you get but the snoring laughter

Old 12-11-2016, 08:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goroman View Post
Actually it is not benefit for us since moving will involve unnecessary drama, time and stress. I guess you either live alone or with your parents. You'll see how circumstances change when you have family.
What? People move with families every day. Moving is moving. Many of us have even moved cross country, more than once!

You're in control of your family's choices. Choose to save money and live in a less than perfect rental or choose to see what else is available at a higher cost and move.

You just don't get to control other families.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:12 PM

193 posts, read 356,590 times
I lived in an apartment for 21 years, and for many of those years, I lived next to an ex convict that used to blast music so loud you could easily hear it across the street'

I politely asked him to lower it one day, to which he replied, "it;s not 10 O clock bro."

The apartment manager lived on the other side. I once asked him," Doesn't that noise bother you."
he replied, " i don't hear it because i am in my bedroom." This didn't help me because my bedroom faces his apartment, whereas the managers bedroom faced the opposite side outdoors.

The land lord also never fixed my plumbing until 10 years later, and they left a hole in my wall after replacing my air conditioner because it was the wrong size.

The walls were so thin that when my neighbors were whispering in bed at night, i could practically understand every word they were saying.

So why did I put up with this crap? I was paying about $300 less a month than market value. You get what you pay for.

After 21 years, they allowed the two apartments with criminals to remain, but they threw me out without explanation.

They did me a favor. I now pay more, but I am in a normal place.

It is time to move.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 AM

22 posts, read 59,857 times
I should have probably written my initial post shorter because the only thing you guys saw was "snoring", however I wrote that this is the least problem out of all since we moved our bedroom to another room. You also seem to assume that the snoring is normal snoring, which is not. I replied to another poster that it is not human snoring....but let's just forget snoring please.

The building itself is not bad. When or if they don't have parties I hear almost nothing. I don't hear their TV or music although I know it's on all the time.

Ear plugs and noise machines don't help. Whoever is suggesting it has probably no idea what noise I am talking about. Probably none of you can understand it since you don't hear it. Although I appreciate comments, I did not ask about how to deal with this situation but specifically about my legal options. Please stop advising to move out.

....and to add, what if I don't have money to afford $500 more apartment? Sure, I wouldn't mind even renting house for $1000 but I don't have that money. Does it mean I have to suffer for years?

Last edited by goroman; 12-12-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 12:12 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
If you want to stay there, and your neighbors stay there, then probably. You can't control what your neighbors do as long as what they are doing are within the boundaries of the law, which it seems it is. It seems to me it is causing you more stress to worry about what they are doing, then to just deal with it.

The issue of the snoring is to show that obviously there is little insulation if you are hearing that thru your walls. Theres nothing that can be done about that. You have to expect when a family lives on the other side of the wall that there will be noise.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
........I did not ask about how to deal with this situation but specifically about my legal options.......
And you were given legal advice, which is legally, there is nothing you can do about neighbors making normal living noise. You can call the police if their wild parties go after 11PM, which you are saying that they don't.

You want a solution that doesn't exist. You can stay there, save rent money, and put up with it, doing the few things that will reduce slightly what you can hear. You can move out and hope the next neighbor is less noisy. You can stay there and complain about it, bitterly, which does absolutely nothing for you, unless you enjoy complaining.

There is no solution that allows you to live there for your cheap rent, surrounded by silence. You are asking for something that does not exist.

It's not that no one but you understands how annoying and stressful it is. None of the rest of us like noisy neighbors, either. It's just that the advice you have received is all that there is. There is no other advice available.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:26 PM

22 posts, read 59,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And you were given legal advice, which is legally, there is nothing you can do about neighbors making normal living noise. You can call the police if their wild parties go after 11PM, which you are saying that they don't.

You want a solution that doesn't exist. You can stay there, save rent money, and put up with it, doing the few things that will reduce slightly what you can hear. You can move out and hope the next neighbor is less noisy. You can stay there and complain about it, bitterly, which does absolutely nothing for you, unless you enjoy complaining.

There is no solution that allows you to live there for your cheap rent, surrounded by silence. You are asking for something that does not exist.

It's not that no one but you understands how annoying and stressful it is. None of the rest of us like noisy neighbors, either. It's just that the advice you have received is all that there is. There is no other advice available.

Again, to clarify I want to find legal advice from lawyer. I need recommendations and how to choose one. Or may be some website where lawyers answer legal questions.
And btw, it's not cheap rent, I pay reasonable amount of money for the apartment. And the only thing I expect from myself as well as from neighbors is to live accordingly, neither me or them don't own the whole house and must live accordingly whether before or after 11PM. And I believe I have legal options besides moving.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I should have probably written my initial post shorter because the only thing you guys saw was "snoring", however I wrote that this is the least problem out of all since we moved our bedroom to another room. You also seem to assume that the snoring is normal snoring, which is not. I replied to another poster that it is not human snoring....but let's just forget snoring please.

The building itself is not bad. When or if they don't have parties I hear almost nothing. I don't hear their TV or music although I know it's on all the time.

Ear plugs and noise machines don't help. Whoever is suggesting it has probably no idea what noise I am talking about. Probably none of you can understand it since you don't hear it. Although I appreciate comments, I did not ask about how to deal with this situation but specifically about my legal options. Please stop advising to move out.

....and to add, what if I don't have money to afford $500 more apartment? Sure, I wouldn't mind even renting house for $1000 but I don't have that money. Does it mean I have to suffer for years?
You have NO, ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA in legal options..You do however, have the options of staying or going. That's it..nothing more..nothing less.

Get another job to make that extra $500 and move. People move all the time...is it stressful? Of course it is, but it's done all the time and its always an option.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Again, to clarify I want to find legal advice from lawyer. I need recommendations and how to choose one. Or may be some website where lawyers answer legal questions.
And btw, it's not cheap rent, I pay reasonable amount of money for the apartment. And the only thing I expect from myself as well as from neighbors is to live accordingly, neither me or them don't own the whole house and must live accordingly whether before or after 11PM. And I believe I have legal options besides moving.
You want legal advice from a lawyer? Call a lawyer because you will not get legal advice here.

It is cheap rent..if you can't afford 1k for a house, then you're paying less than 1k for this unit and that's cheap. Sorry, but it is.

You can believe whatever you want, but you have no legal options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting