Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 08:37 PM

539 posts, read 566,515 times

Advertisements

Okay, today, at around 6pm, I took a bath, then rinsed in the shower, got out, had no problems. Our downstairs neighbor a few minutes later came up and knocked on our door, with the landlord on the phone, a pipe in the tub is leaking or burst, because he said his ceiling is leaking, and not just a drip. I was shocked and apologized and the landlord said she'd be here in the morning. Downstairs guys are old and already in bed, I don't want to harass the landlord. Our building is a 4 apartment one, 2 down, 2 up, it's a big perfectly rectangular building.

My question is, if the tub piping has a leak, is everything pipe wise linked together? Can I use my kitchen sink? Can I flush my toilet? I never even thought to ask. And I know anything about construction. I've been using my kitchen sink, and we haven't had any STOP USING THE WATER comments. But I haven't flushed, and I'm worried the outgoing pipes are connected, and if they were the ones that burst. I know it's dumb, but if anyone has any advice, even with what the problem could be, I would love feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Hard to say but best guess it is the tub drain gasket has let go... it does happen and this little gasket is all the keeps a tub full of water from leaking.

It could also be the overflow about 14" up the tub wall above the drain because it also has a gasket but the water level would have to be high enough to reach it.

My guess the other things in your apartment are OK...

Old 12-14-2016, 12:52 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
+1

The drains *are* all connected, but it sounds like you may have a cracked tub or tub drain, so a toilet or sink would *probably* be safe to use, as long as the tub isn't filling up with anything.. if it is, then i wouldn't use any plumbing fixtures at all.. that said, it could be the main upstairs drain leaking, and if so, I'd stop when I heard screams..

Old 12-14-2016, 01:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I think it is just the tub. But, if they are coming first thing, I might be cautious and refrain from flushing and running water til they get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting