Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 08:33 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDM View Post
I would simply let your tenant know that pets are not allowed in the apartment at any time for any reason and it can't happen again. Let her know you will let it slide this one time but if you find out it happens again she will be in violation of the lease. This way you are putting your foot down, but also showing a human side.

This is assuming there haven't been any other issues with this tenant and you would like to keep them
This is what I would do. Maybe she just forgot about that clause? It's possible.

But whether you decide to issue the 3-day notice or not, you MUST make a big enough deal about it this time so that excuse can't be used again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 07:31 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
We didn't enforce our lease to the letter of the law. Boy do I regret that. They treated us like we were friends and I tried to discourage it but in the end we didn't have the backbone. They got away with stuff my own husband wouldn't put up with from ME!

I understand your dilemma. You want to be a good guy and not ultimately lose a tenant who might be good 100% of the time going forward. And it's Christmas and she has her family there visiting. Maybe 2 strikes and you're out? But really, don't listen to me, we didn't set any kind of example to follow. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2016, 07:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I used to say to tenants in situations like yours, "You know you can't have the dogs here, right? Please don't make me have to give you a 3 day notice. I hate having to be the bad guy."

Puts it back on them. They'll usually give you some kind of excuse - oh it was only for today, blah blah. Then, you just nod and smile and repeat yourself. "But, you knew they should be here at all, right? Please don't make me have to give you a 3 day notice."

My experience was that it didn't get argued beyond that point. They kind of grin like yeah, they knew they shouldn't do it and say they'll take care of it.

Very rarely did I have to ever kick a tenant out for not heeding my warnings. But, it is important to call them on it. It can be done in a non-threatening way. But, it's important to let them know you noticed and it's not okay.

I think most tenants push the boundaries a little. Some things you can let slide, but others you just can't.

I used to be a resident manager of a 26 unit building in Silicon Valley. Rented to a lot of immigrant techies, students, and other working folk and even a couple retired tenants.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:32 PM

103 posts, read 221,268 times
I'd just ask her how long the dogs will be there then tell her afterwards you will be inspecting for damage and that she cannot do this again. The inspection will be an inconvenience to her and it will also help your piece of mind. The effect will be that she sees you are serious and she has to bear some of the burden (such as having to spend hours cleaning up to get ready for your inspection!)

I think the people suggesting evictions or 72 hour notice, etc are ridiculous unless this is in fact really her pet and she is just being slick.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm72 View Post
I'd just ask her how long the dogs will be there then tell her afterwards you will be inspecting for damage and that she cannot do this again. The inspection will be an inconvenience to her and it will also help your piece of mind. The effect will be that she sees you are serious and she has to bear some of the burden (such as having to spend hours cleaning up to get ready for your inspection!)

I think the people suggesting evictions or 72 hour notice, etc are ridiculous unless this is in fact really her pet and she is just being slick.
Issuing an eviction notice would be a bit much, but there's nothing wrong with issuing a 3 day notice when the lease is clearly being violated. If you're not going to enforce the conditions of the lease why bother having them in the lease?

The tenant knew she couldn't have pets onsite, but did it anyway...a 3 day notice or a no nonsense conversation is in order or she'll continue to do stupid stuff like this.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Tenants will wipe their feet on your face if you let them. I have found out that a strict landlord is more respected. Everyone has a sob story. Too bad ,boo hoo. If she can't follow the rules she can find a place where she can do whatever she wants. Start eviction ASAP. Don't fall for her excuses.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Another Disappointing Tenant
She has been great up until this point but not feeling the love any more.
This reminds me of the relationship forum where so many bad daters complain
about the repeating patterns they endure as though aren't the reason why.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:49 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
She should have asked you or told you prior to you dropping in on her for the candy. I dont think you should do anything but tell her No and move on. If shes been a good tenant until this, i dont see why shed suddenly change.

Not everyone can board their dogs for one reason or another. IF they really are there just for the holidays, thats not some wild, crazy thing...its a few days and they are an after thought.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
She should have asked you or told you prior to you dropping in on her for the candy. I dont think you should do anything but tell her No and move on. If shes been a good tenant until this, i dont see why shed suddenly change.

Not everyone can board their dogs for one reason or another. IF they really are there just for the holidays, thats not some wild, crazy thing...its a few days and they are an after thought.
No, she should've remembered the lease that she signed that said no pets and not allow pets in her home. it's really not hard and while I do understand that some pets aren't able to be boarded; that's not the OPs problem or concern.

Good tenants do not violate their lease...this might be a 'minor' thing in your book, but it's really not.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 AM

258 posts, read 234,428 times
You are the LANDLORD. Do your job. It almost sounds as if you have a 'thing' with her. I've never known a landlord to disperse 'holiday cheer'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting