Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 07:48 AM

31 posts, read 27,612 times

Advertisements

Okay so I've been renting here for a year and 4 months now. I've completed my yearly lease in September and they put me on month to month afterwards. About 2 weeks ago the front entrance door window shattered and somebody lied on me and my bf saying we broke it even though we did not. All we did was come in and shut the door and the thing shattered like somebody had already pre cracked it. Keep in mind that day in Wisconsin the temps were negative. About 2 days later I received a notice taped to my door giving me 14 days to move out. It had the following: Destruction of property, a persons living not under the lease (which is true but they've been knew he was here for 7 months now and NEVER said anything they even had a few friendly conversations with him!), and disruptive behavior (LIE this whole building is pretty much quiet). No warnings or anything! I've never even gotten a COPY of my lease even after asking 3 times since I've been here.

We DID NOT break that window! They have no cameras in here they are just going by word of mouth by ONE person in the building. Nobody was even in the hallway when we came inside the building. Hell i immediately called him as soon as it shattered! If I was trying to HIDE anything I wouldn't have called at all. So Here I was scrambling during the Christmas holiday trying to find somewhere else to live in 14 days. I just miraculously found another place yesterday I was about to be homeless staying in a hotel!

I thought about fighting it in court but I do not want a eviction on my record. They gave me until the 31st to move. The building manager (the guy I signed my lease with and pay my rent to) was smiling in my face everyday saying he will give me a good reference to anywhere i applied to AND claimed he was going to give my security deposit back but I don't believe him. I've never met the people that OWN this building, I've always just corresponded with the guy I signed my lease with. He said he has no control once they make a decision to terminate leases?? What the hell..

Any insight on this? I've never had any sanctions, warnings or anything. I've always paid my rent on time, I'm a very quiet tenant other than a few couple's disagreements that everyone has (even HE said that.) I AM moving this weekend but after doing some research this morning it looks like they're illegally terminating my stay here. Should I just leave while I have the chance without eviction or fight for my security. I don't care if they take some out. I feel I should at least get the majority back! There's nothing wrong with this apartment at all and I'm cleaning it spotless to the best of my ability.

Last edited by AirrGordon; 12-29-2016 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 07:52 AM

Also wanted to add that the building manager said he'd give me a few extra days if needed but they'll charge me $65 a day just to stay here. I had been having problems with my sink overhead light for months that they never replaced even after several calls AND I literally have to bang the wall for my bathroom light to come on. I had been calling about that for 6 months until I eventually gave up. I've never been a disruptive or complaining tenant.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
From the looks of it, you're not exactly a stellar tenant.

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...ay-notice.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...-5-2015-a.html

And no, I did not read any of this beyond the subject lines.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM

If you didn't read them how are you judging me? Those 2 topics were from the SAME previous landlord who tried to evict me after falsely accusing me of not mailing my rent. I traced the money order, went to court and literally didnt have to say a word the Case was dismissed. The guy was just clearly just an a-hole who never even interacted NOR met any of the tenants (he had building manager on site working for him) and was quick to evict people for dumb reasons. On top of that the building got shut down after I left for his bad business practices.

Next! Anyone else have any insight on THIS topic?

Old 12-29-2016, 08:49 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
The Landlord has the right to terminate your lease with 30 days' notice since you are on a month-to-month lease. This can be for no reason, a bad reason or a good reason. Its a 30 day lease and they can legally discharge your residence with proper notice - regardless of the reason. They should not have given you their back office thinking unless they plan to withhold security deposit because it just causes upset. Likely they do plan on charging you for the door. That, you can refute in court. But you cannot challenge a month 2 month lease.

It would be the same case if you decided to move because your overhead light was not ever repaired. You could logically give your 30 days' notice and declare the reason. But reason or not, they would have to honor your notice and couldn't force you to stay. So you will have to move.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:57 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Regardless of the window issue, your still in violation for having an unauthorized person living there.

As far as the security deposit, the landlord has 21 days to return your deposit after you vacate. If you do not receive the deposit or disagree with the deductions, you can take the landlord to court.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The Landlord has the right to terminate your lease with 30 days' notice since you are on a month-to-month lease. This can be for no reason, a bad reason or a good reason. Its a 30 day lease and they can legally discharge your residence with proper notice - regardless of the reason. They should not have given you their back office thinking unless they plan to withhold security deposit because it just causes upset. Likely they do plan on charging you for the door. That, you can refute in court. But you cannot challenge a month 2 month lease.

It would be the same case if you decided to move because your overhead light was not ever repaired. You could logically give your 30 days' notice and declare the reason. But reason or not, they would have to honor your notice and couldn't force you to stay. So you will have to move.
That's what I'm saying. They only gave me 14 days notice NOT 30. And it was in the middle of this month at that. That is illegal. No wonder he's smiling in my face so I won't sue them. They have NO proof that we broke the door. The "building manager" came to my door a few days ago to personally talk to me saying he didn't believe I broke it either and that they just got word from ONE tenant that said they heard us coming in. He's basically coming to ME talking behind the Apartment owners back. All I did was close it. They already have it rigged so it basically slams shaking my apartment wall because I live right in the first apartment in the front. They did that because the other tenants werent closing the door properly all the way and they wanted the building to stay locked and secured (understandable but i STILL never complained about the slamming). For some reason the wind was stopping the door from closing that day so I had to manually shut it. Somebody pre cracked that window and we was just the unfortunate to come in and not notice and it finally shattered. How can I break a whole big ass window unless I punch it or throw something into it. Come on now..

Last edited by AirrGordon; 12-29-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Regardless of the window issue, your still in violation for having an unauthorized person living there.

As far as the security deposit, the landlord has 21 days to return your deposit after you vacate. If you do not receive the deposit or disagree with the deductions, you can take the landlord to court.
I understand that I am at fault for this and am not denying it. I just find it fumny that they didnt say ANYTHING about him being here UNTIL the window shattered. The other two reason are completely bogus. We never gotten any complaints for noise OR notices period.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:02 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
It's irrelevant that they knew your BF was living with you. It's apparently not permitted in your lease. That alone can be cause for ending the lease. The rest is just "extra." I also confirmed that the 14 days is sufficient notice for a month-to-month lease in WI.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
A landlord or tenant can end a month-to-month lease for any or no reason with proper notice.

The only thing I see is that your landlord didn't give you proper notice to vacate. You are entitled to at least 28 days notice by Wisconsin law. If your lease ends on the last day of each month, and you received notice in the middle of December, you should have had until January 31st to vacate.

However, you did have someone living with you who is not on the lease. So technically you were in violation and your LL could have issued a cure or quit notice.

As for getting your security deposit back, read this:

Security Deposits in Wisconsin - Tenant Resource Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting