Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
How would a fish tank bust? Unless someone was dumb enough to knock it over. If that's the case, that's on them and not the landlord.
Some of the filters pull water into a box outside the tank to filter it, and they tend to drool & throw a mist of water on the floor underneath them. And a tank that busts because someone knocks it over might be the tenant's responsibility, but that doesn't mean the tenant will actually pay for that damage, which means the landlord gets to eat the loss. Getting a judgement for damages is fairly easy, collecting on that judgement can be very difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
How would a fish tank bust? Unless someone was dumb enough to knock it over. If that's the case, that's on them and not the landlord.
Sometimes the silicone seals holding the panels of a glass tank can fail. Sometimes something hits the glass hard enough to crack it (and it's not necessarily a human's fault; some large cichlid fish like to rearrange the tank decorations). Sometimes the filter can overflow (this is especially common with canister filters, where the filter sits on the floor beneath the tank; if the intake hose comes off of the canister, it can drain the tank until the water level in the tank falls below the level of the intake opening and breaks the siphon).

If I was a renter and wanted a large tank, I'd be sure to get an insurance policy that would cover the cost of any water damage from the tank and show it to the landlord. The landlord has every right to be worried, as 20 or more gallons of water spilled all over the floor can do serious damage.

(Another factor that needs to be considered if the tank is larger than about 55 gallons is if the floor can handle the weight of the full tank safely. Water is HEAVY!)

Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
Quote:
If it was made in China!

Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
My Apt Complex does Not allow Any Animals like you named & they Allow Cats & Dogs. So Pet Friendly Does not inc all animals.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
For me no pets means no pets. At all. Not even friends or family visiting with pets.
The reasons I have a no pet policy in some properties is when you move and I rerent the next person may be allergic to animals. Now I may lose a great paying tenant because they cannot move in the property and may have to take alessqualified candidate because of it or spend more money to sanitize the place where it's acceptable. Then the pet owning tenant will be mad because I "took their money" and "screwed them over".
I have some properties that allow pets. When I do take pets I take hefty deposits.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
How would a fish tank bust? Unless someone was dumb enough to knock it over.
I don't know man, maybe go ask all these people.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
There's always natural causes such as earthquakes.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
From what I've seen places are either yes or no on ALL pets. I mean they might say you can have a single goldfish but stuff like hamster and rabbits are usually not allowed when dogs and cats aren't allowed.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
The person who installed our fishtank did not tighten several clamps on hoses leading to the filter elemnets. Water loss was about 50 gallons before we got it stopped. Insurance company wasn't thrilled.

Next fishtank will be on the bottom floor only.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Get a tapeworm. Goes where you go, eats what you eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting