Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:58 PM

472 posts, read 473,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not Here! You Leave with out paying that last months rent LL take it you court! The it Blackballs you from renting again. So unless Mom wants her DD to live with her till DD Dies she best Not take a chance. I know 3 people that are living in Homeless Shelters cause they pulled this stunt!
You don't comprehend well.

It is a very common practice between a tenant and LL to agree to use the security deposit as the last month's rent. I didn't say don't pay your last month nor to just assume it.

When I rented my last month was always my deposit and my LL were always ok with it.

I gave proper notice and they knew the condition of their property.

The three people you know must have not okay it with their LL and/or left the apartment damaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
No you Said COMMON Practice! Common practice will put you on the street.

No Damages or any problems .... they just felt they were entitled.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No you Said COMMON Practice! Common practice will put you on the street.

No Damages or any problems .... they just felt they were entitled.
Yes common. Sorry to tell you, you are wrong. Again it seems like your people assumed instead of clearing it.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:15 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
Yes security deposit should not be used as rent. Specifically as last month. However, it is a common practice.
I file for eviction on day 10, which is as soon as I can file. It takes no more than a week after that to get a tenant out. I will not tolerate a tenant that thinks they can live out their deposit. You pay your last month's rent or you end up with an eviction on your permanent record.

I don't know any landlords that sit by and watch a tenant not pay their last month's rent. So, if it is common practice where starwind lives, it is not a common practice nationwide. If you don't live in the same neighborhood and have the same landlord as Starwind, I suggest that you don't try it.

Note: OP said nothing about hoping her daughter could live out her last month without paying any rent. I was not jumping on OP.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I file for eviction on day 10, which is as soon as I can file. It takes no more than a week after that to get a tenant out. I will not tolerate a tenant that thinks they can live out their deposit. You pay your last month's rent or you end up with an eviction on your permanent record.

I don't know any landlords that sit by and watch a tenant not pay their last month's rent. So, if it is common practice where starwind lives, it is not a common practice nationwide. If you don't live in the same neighborhood and have the same landlord as Starwind, I suggest that you don't try it.

Note: OP said nothing about hoping her daughter could live out her last month without paying any rent. I was not jumping on OP.

Another one that can't read. Where did I say don't pay your last month rent?

Old 01-25-2017, 04:43 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Have you considered or investigated the impact of the possible bad credit consequences upon your daughter's future ability to rent again? The 6 months rent cost might pale in comparison to being put on a blacklist.
breaking your lease has zero effect on your credit as long as you don't screw over your landlord.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:46 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
The OP needs to read the lease..if the lease does not mention an early termination clause, then state law kicks in. In some states, i believe a tenant can be held responsible for the balance of the lease if the lease doesn't mention early termination.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:48 PM

195 posts, read 216,781 times
It will depend on what the lease contract says that your daughter signed. Typically you will pay a "re-letting fee" and any number of days the apartment remains vacant.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:14 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Please keep us posted as to the final outcome after discussion with the landlord.

Good luck and best wishes that it all turns out well and that your daughter gets well.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Hello, appreciate advice.

Daughter, senior in college is suffering from depression, and is dropping out, moving home, and attempt to recover. Doing so, she will break a yearly lease, 6 months early. She has lived in building 30 months, as has been a good renter. Depression is diagnosed by MHCP, and she is taking prescribed medication.

Question, can she break lease due to health concerns, or are we on the hook.
Does she have a health care professional's medical order that she must, for her mental health, move back home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting