Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:06 PM

741 posts, read 590,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Cool!! I was just offered a Female 2 year old $500 + Spay. I seen her pedigree she Not inbred or Line bred. She is ASDR Ch ok I know what Ch is Champion.... but not the ASRD?? do you know Oregon?
If you're squealing about a $300 non-refundable pet deposit and monthly pet rent, why would you pay $500 for a pure bred dog? Our local no-kill shelter adopts out cats for $20 and dogs for $25, I'll bet your local shelter is similar. Get a rescue for significantly less and save your money for the pet deposit that I suspect you will probably need.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
I'm sure the poster was referring to the FAIR HOUSING ACT...not the FEDERAL HOUSING ADMINISTRATION.
Correct. I am a landlord and well aware of the difference between service animals and "emo" animals. As a landlord I am prohibited from discrimination against tenants with certified service animals (which are legally not considered as pets), cannot even charge pet deposits. Although I am legally able to charge tenants for damage caused by such animals upon vacancy of tenancy.

"Emo" animals mean nothing to me in legal terms. Although they mean everything to me in personal terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Yes but the Fair Housing Act is a law not a department. You contact the HUD for violations of that Act.
The Fair Housing Act is the law enacted by Congress. Landlords must comply with this law. Matters not who enforces, landlords who violate are in big trouble.

Quote:
Thanks! That answered my question! That is my local HUD/Section 8 office. The Director says Companions are PETS! Unless your dog is Trained to do something or Naturally does things like seizure alert then you still need to pay the Pet Deposit. No I Don't Qualify. So unless my Mental health has gone or my Diabeties is sky high & drops sudden and the dog alerts to that I Don't Qualify. She suggests I get another dog & train her to assit me ... that's the Only way to get around the apt complex Non Refundable Deposit. I Will need to pay the deposit until the dog IS trained! IF they refuse to refund once the dog Qualifies she can them make them return the deposit. .... Same rules & what I went thru with Katie & Lady-Bug.
Your dog can be legally certified as a service animal provided (1) you have a doctor's certification that your need of such an animal is valid, and (2) the dog (or other animal) has has received valid training consistent with your doctor's certification.

Hey I'm all for it. Even ordinary people without problems benefit from pets. The only difference is if you are physically challenged and have a certified service animal that you are excluded from pet requirements and pet deposits due to your medical condition. But well worth it even if you have no problems and your dog is just a mutt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
If you're squealing about a $300 non-refundable pet deposit and monthly pet rent, why would you pay $500 for a pure bred dog? Our local no-kill shelter adopts out cats for $20 and dogs for $25, I'll bet your local shelter is similar. Get a rescue for significantly less and save your money for the pet deposit that I suspect you will probably need.
My dog died recently. I adopted him 19 years ago from the dog pound and I'm convinced that I saved his life, and in that act I saved my life too, or at least found so much love it was worth everything. I am currently scouring the dog pounds in my area to find a new 4 legged friend.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Not in California. I discussed this issue with a friend who is a clinical psychologist Psy.D and she says she can certify an animal as an "emo" support animal, but that does not meet FHA service animal requirements for exemption of the animal as a service animal rather than a pet.
Incorrect.

If a licensed psychologist certifies that that their patient is in need of an emotional support animal, that animal is legally an Assistance Animal under the Fair Housing and Amendments Acts. A landlord must treat that animal the same as they would all other animals covered as Assistance Animals under the FHAct. Service Animals are covered under the ADA and are just one of the types of animals covered under the FHAct. The FHAct's official and legal terminology for all these protected animals are "Assistance Animals" which includes by references Service Animals, but is not limited to only Service Animals as defined by the ADA.

Please read the link I posted before you find yourself in deep trouble; the fines can be pretty stiff!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I'll ask my Psy.D friend. In any case my rentals are in AZ.

I'm a homeowner in CA. I could probably have an elephant if the HOA allowed it!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'll ask my Psy.D friend. In any case my rentals are in AZ.

I'm a homeowner in CA. I could probably have an elephant if the HOA allowed it!
These are FEDERAL Laws Don't matter what state you live in or have your rental in! Laws are the Same Fines are the Same!

Old 01-26-2017, 01:39 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
If you're squealing about a $300 non-refundable pet deposit and monthly pet rent, why would you pay $500 for a pure bred dog?.......
Purebred dogs are for people who want or need something very specific from a dog.

In the case of a service animal that is best trained from day one and starting at 6-8 weeks of age, a purebred animal will let you get a dog that is the correct size for your needs and the correct temperament to be trained for the specific job.

Just because some service dog training agencies with staff of professional trainers can take dogs from the pound for some of the jobs that are needed does not mean that a disabled person could take a dog from the pound and have the same degree of success in training it. If an agency takes the dog and it is unsuitable, untrainable, or burdened with too much baggage, they will flunk it out of the program and place it in a pet home. You can not expect a private owner, purchasing their own prospect, and training it themselves to put several months training into a dog, decide it isn't going to be able to do the job and get rid of it..

OP needs a specific size of dog with a specific type of temperament and trainability. She is geting a retired show dog which will already have all of it's socialization and nice manners. There is no telling what you will get from the pound.

Pound puppies can make nice pets, but not every dog is interchangeable. Not every dog can do a specific job. Not every dog has the cooperative nature and the work ethic to make a service dog.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:44 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Cool!! I was just offered a Female 2 year old $500 + Spay. I seen her pedigree she Not inbred or Line bred. She is ASDR Ch ok I know what Ch is Champion.... but not the ASRD?? do you know Oregon?
American Stock Dog Registry, probably.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 AM

741 posts, read 590,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Purebred dogs are for people who want or need something very specific from a dog.

In the case of a service animal that is best trained from day one and starting at 6-8 weeks of age, a purebred animal will let you get a dog that is the correct size for your needs and the correct temperament to be trained for the specific job.

Just because some service dog training agencies with staff of professional trainers can take dogs from the pound for some of the jobs that are needed does not mean that a disabled person could take a dog from the pound and have the same degree of success in training it. If an agency takes the dog and it is unsuitable, untrainable, or burdened with too much baggage, they will flunk it out of the program and place it in a pet home. You can not expect a private owner, purchasing their own prospect, and training it themselves to put several months training into a dog, decide it isn't going to be able to do the job and get rid of it..

OP needs a specific size of dog with a specific type of temperament and trainability. She is geting a retired show dog which will already have all of it's socialization and nice manners. There is no telling what you will get from the pound.

Pound puppies can make nice pets, but not every dog is interchangeable. Not every dog can do a specific job. Not every dog has the cooperative nature and the work ethic to make a service dog.
I hadn't realized this at all. Thank you for the good information.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:55 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times
Quote:
With Both my Service Dogs dying recently. My Health Problems ... I don't flee like I can Properly Train another SD. I Want to get a Cat! So Today I went to talk to my Apt Mgr & Got No where on understanding the Rules for Companion Animals vs Pets. When & what Training does a Pet become an Companion?

Ne = Need.
If it is a low income apartment complex, there are set guidelines on what a companion aka comfort animal is. One of my clients has a dog, and because of these rules, she got the dog in. She pays only 30% of her "income" which is SSI

Old 01-27-2017, 04:52 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Fairminded... I Known Trainers that Take Pound dogs & Train them! Only 1 Dog in 10 Makes a Service Dog. I Don't have $3000 to hand a LL + $1000 to get them from the pound! Small Dogs are either to Old or Snatched up. The Wait list for small dogs is Long like Years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting