Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Where do you find that. In my area there are a lot of restrictions on pets. Unfortunately none on kids.
Where is *your area* ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakoons2 View Post
Furnished or unfurnished when renting a flat/house? Isn't getting a furnished one similar to leasing a car, no value cause you don't own it? Explain why you'd pick one or the other. We are a family of four with two small kids.
In the US most apartments are rented unfurnished. They do include appliances such as a stove and refrigerator, but unless it's built in you usually have to supply your own microwave.

I don't know what you mean by the car leasing analogy.

You are paying more for a furnished apartment and it's used furniture with used beds/mattresses unless it's a brand new place. You find furnished apartments more in transient areas where people do not plan to stay long or just get up and go with their clothes. As a LL it's better to rent unfurnished because you don't have to worry about the tenant just leaving because if it was their furniture it would be more trouble and expense to hire movers. If you rent furnished you will have to pay for any furniture that you damage.

When I moved to Florida I didn't have a lot of furniture, I only took whatever I could tow in the back of a small uhaul trailer, about 40 square feet worth of stuff. Luckily I found an apartment that was furnished because the lady who got kicked out had left her furniture. Then I found a small bungalow rental near the beach that had a bed, desk, and bistro table and chairs so I just had to buy a sofa and coffee table. The 3rd place I rented was unfurnished so that was when I had to buy furniture.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
By the way ..., it will be no problem to find housing when you have two dogs.
Believe me, it is easier to find housing with dogs compared to finding housing when you have kids !
So not true. Kids are a protected class that can not be discriminated against in many areas as far as renting to parents with kids goes, dogs are only allowed at the mercy of the LL unless it's a service dog.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:28 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
In the US most apartments are
<<<snipped>>>
When I moved to Florida I didn't have a lot of furniture.
These statements have nothing to do with what the OP wants to know.
She is moving to Europe !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
So not true. Kids are a protected class that can not be discriminated against in many areas as far as renting to parents with kids goes, dogs are only allowed at the mercy of the LL unless it's a service dog.
Is this statements true for The USA ?
Where do you live ?
Have you lived in Europe and tried to find housing with a family of 6 ?
It was easier if we would have said we had 4 dogs !
We did find a place but only because one of their kids worked for us.
So yes, if you know people easy to find housing.

One reason why I mentioned to look for housing outside of Munich, at some farm where they are used to animals ..

Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 PM

33 posts, read 27,866 times
When going with an unfurnished apartment, you have a little more room to be creative. Being able to chose what you want is important to a lot of people and having a cohesive design that they choose is sometimes optimal.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
ewww how can anyone sleep on a used bed in a furnished apartment?

Old 02-09-2017, 11:58 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You pay for damage when you rent an apartment. With 2 small kids, there is likely to be some damage, and there will be more damage to furniture than there will be to an unfurnished apartment where any furniture damage is to your own furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting