Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 PM

305 posts, read 724,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
You, Sir, or Ma'am, are up to no good. This is coming from a person who's lived in Northern Flint. The worst area in the USA. People don't pester you without a reason, intent. People don't just bust in for craps and gigs. You mind your own business, you'll be fine.

If it says no pets, the place means no pets. MAYBE a hamster. But no pets means no dogs. Period.

Many leases I've seen have no firearms policies when in complex type units. If they say no firearms, then there's no budging.
Is it that bad that I just want to be safe from potential crazies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 AM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Protection dogs- an actual trained one run upwards of $5000, .......
You wouldn't get much of a personal protection trained dog for $5,000. Try upwards of $20,000 for a correctly trained one and not just a badly bred one, badly and improperly trained and thus potentially dangerous. A really good personal protection dog can easily cost $30,000.

I seriously doubt that you could find any landlord that would allow a protection dog. That is too much liability. Don't get a protection dog until you own your own place and have about 8 hours a week, every week, to train and keep the dog tuned up. You have to pay for that training because you need to pay a professional agitator.

As for guns, you have to ask. All of my tenants have guns. This is hunting and fishing country. Not all landlords are going to permit them, though. It might depend upon what state you are in.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
As far as a dog goes most LL's don't allow pets, some who do allow only non aggressive breeds, and some only allow pets under 25 pounds.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The Second Amendment applies to government not private property owners. Remember, in District of Columbia v. Heller, the United States Supreme Court limited the rights under the Second Amendment to government and public spaces. Their is no right when you step on another persons private property. States have passed laws that prohibit businesses from prohibiting firearms, but those are essentially unenforceable so states's responded by enacting laws that place a higher burden on private property owners to "post" any restrictions or carve out areas such as parking lots. However, even under most of these Second Amendment laws, states have interestingly exempted residential entities and still allow the property owner/landlord to set the rules.
Interesting. I see that Minnesota has laws that state landlords cannot prohibit residents from gun ownership.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
If your handgun is legal and concealed how would your landlord even know?

Old 02-02-2017, 08:34 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
. If they say no firearms, then there's no budging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If your handgun is legal and concealed how would your landlord even know?
My thoughts exactly. If you're doing it right, how do they know?

Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
One of my former tenants was attacked by the next door neighbor's "protection dogs", while walking down her own driveway. Viciously attacked, to the point she needed over 200 stitches. And she wasn't doing anything more than taking boxes to her car (it happened the week she was moving out of our property). The dogs got out of their yard and went after her.

The landlord of the next door neighbor (not our property) was a doctor, so the tenant sued the pants off him. Come to find out, the dogs had a bite history, and the landlord knew about it, and allowed the dogs to be there anyway. I don't know what the final outcome was, because she doesn't live there anymore, but I hope that my former tenant is now very rich.

I tell this story to emphasize why NO landlord in their right mind would allow "protection dogs". Too much liability.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
As far as a dog goes most LL's don't allow pets, some who do allow only non aggressive breeds, and some only allow pets under 25 pounds.
You described my pet rental policy exactly. Plus I ask if the dogs are spayed/neutered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
The landlord of the next door neighbor (not our property) was a doctor, so the tenant sued the pants off him. Come to find out, the dogs had a bite history, and the landlord knew about it, and allowed the dogs to be there anyway. I don't know what the final outcome was, because she doesn't live there anymore, but I hope that my former tenant is now very rich.
If the landlord knew that the dogs were dangerous, I think it's quite possible his umbrella insurance might refuse to pay off the damages as a claim and leave the doctor responsible for the entire amount.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:36 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You described my pet rental policy exactly. Plus I ask if the dogs are spayed/neutered.

If the landlord knew that the dogs were dangerous, I think it's quite possible his umbrella insurance might refuse to pay off the damages as a claim and leave the doctor responsible for the entire amount.
Agreed, entirely possible. Probable even.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:45 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Is it that bad that I just want to be safe from potential crazies?
And what if the intruders have their own guns and shoot your dogs? Then where does that leave you?

Plus, you sound too paranoid to have the calmness necessary to be an accurate target shooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting