Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Renew the lease for a full year, save money and hope for the best 1 5.26%
Renew for month-to-month and protect yourself against uncertainty 18 94.74%
Terminate the lease and move into another apartment around here 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,905,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Typical failing company. In all honesty, even if your review were better, your position would not last. They aren't going to make it. The firings repeatedly are a great symbol of that, as is cutting warehouses.
Today I just learned that at the end of 2016, our San Diego office closed down and now it's been reduced to one guy working from home.

But at the same time, my department is interviewing for a low wage position. That means we will be hiring someone soon. This position will be an AP/AR clerk role and will pay $28K. The manager has been asking for other people in my department to create a list of everything they do and how much time it requires for each task.

The manager also explained to us that he is trying to re-arrange the allocation of work once this new AP/AR clerk is on board. He said he wants to take work away from the other AP clerks and give it to the new AP/AR clerk. In the meantime, he has been randomly giving the other AP clerks examples of tasks that were assigned to me, to see how they tackle and approach it, to get an idea for their abilities.

He briefly mentioned that he may want to give new responsibilities to me, but couldn't think of any specifics at this time.

So where does that leave me?!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:59 PM

33,885 posts, read 16,934,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Today I just learned that at the end of 2016, our San Diego office closed down and now it's been reduced to one guy working from home.

But at the same time, my department is interviewing for a low wage position. That means we will be hiring someone soon. This position will be an AP/AR clerk role and will pay $28K. The manager has been asking for other people in my department to create a list of everything they do and how much time it requires for each task.

The manager also explained to us that he is trying to re-arrange the allocation of work once this new AP/AR clerk is on board. He said he wants to take work away from the other AP clerks and give it to the new AP/AR clerk. In the meantime, he has been randomly giving the other AP clerks examples of tasks that were assigned to me, to see how they tackle and approach it, to get an idea for their abilities.

He briefly mentioned that he may want to give new responsibilities to me, but couldn't think of any specifics at this time.

So where does that leave me?!

Job searching. Your department payroll at this troubled corp will decrease, not increase. He got the 28k go ahead concurrent to having you show your job should be 12 hours per week. Connect the dots.

He'll take the best clerk, and have them do your stuff as much as possible, and your boss will do what they can't do.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Job searching. Your department payroll at this troubled corp will decrease, not increase. He got the 28k go ahead concurrent to having you show your job should be 12 hours per week. Connect the dots.

He'll take the best clerk, and have them do your stuff as much as possible, and your boss will do what they can't do.
But they started looking for the clerk position weeks before I showed that my job is 12 hours a week.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
But they started looking for the clerk position weeks before I showed that my job is 12 hours a week.

Doesn't matter. Failing corps do not add payroll. This is about adding a cheap role to reduce a more expensive role, and he may not have known who the latter would end up being.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:54 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,039,034 times
Quote:
I believe he knew your job was NOT full-time work well before you did.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I believe he knew your job was NOT full-time work well before you did.

Usually these projects are to confirm things known already. In troubled corps, positions are often ranked based on utilization and ability to transfer tasks to others.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Usually these projects are to confirm things known already. In troubled corps, positions are often ranked based on utilization and ability to transfer tasks to others.
Well it's not really a corp. It's entirely LLC flow-through entities that are 100% owned by the individual owner.

But since you're so smart, when exactly do you think I will be laid off?!

Old 02-28-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Well it's not really a corp. It's entirely LLC flow-through entities that are 100% owned by the individual owner.

But since you're so smart, when exactly do you think I will be laid off?!

I've seen this pattern, and fear in the weeks to come, and suspect it will be more than just one employee gone. Last August on a Ct Met life thread you lamented they axed 5 at one time. The pattern hasn't stopped, as evidenced by axing the SD warehouse and staff.

Your owner is not in it to lose money. That is why warehouses are getting closed-a desperate bid to sop the bleeding. But given the repetitive firings, cost cutting is not working, so in all likelihood, the whole company goes down not far into the future.

The smart employees are, no doubt, job-hunting already while employed.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:51 PM

I just realized you are there one year now. About the same as the guy who left before you.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I just realized you are there one year now. About the same as the guy who left before you.
It has been 11 months so far. The guy who left before me was there for 1.5 yrs but he voluntarily left. I am seriously wanting to stay put, in order to build stability in my career. Being laid off will be a career disaster event....again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting