Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Renew the lease for a full year, save money and hope for the best 1 5.26%
Renew for month-to-month and protect yourself against uncertainty 18 94.74%
Terminate the lease and move into another apartment around here 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
You don't want to move. You don't want to take a different type of position within your field. You have been let go of multiple jobs. You have been rated below average. You didn't want to begin job searching when you knew your time was limited. Even after being let go, you waited days (a week?) before getting your resume together. I'm sure if I looked up previous posts, I'd find more examples.

You have a spotty job history and have been let go multiple times. That tells me you do the minimum and/or shoddy work. I have been promoted at every single job I've ever had. It wasn't luck. It was hard work, sacrifice, and perseverance.
What's wrong with waiting a few days before I start my job search? I needed a little time to process everything, update my resume, cover letter, get in touch with references and figure out my approach to my job search. Rushing into a job search would be absolutely foolish. And it's just a few days... Sheesh.

It was only this one job that I got a below average review. All previous jobs, I have always received meets or exceeds expectations for my performance reviews.

What do you mean I don't want to take a different position within my field? I'm open to all industries except public accounting. I tried it and didn't like it. Does it really make sense to go back to something that I hated? And I don't want to work 60+ hour weeks. I value work/life balance over money, promotion and power. Maybe you're different than me. Good for you.

And yes, I have been laid off three times, but that's not my fault. First time was a mass layoff in 2009 after the financial crisis. Second time I was allegedly not following my manager's policy, and third, I was laid off due to budgetary and lack of work reasons. I had no control over these decisions.

But of course, you're an internet person and have to toot your own horn all the while criticizing me...

Old 03-11-2017, 06:00 AM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How am I unwilling to work hard?

How am I unwilling to make sacrifices?

You avoid any job with any overtime, which is common in your industry.

You also at more concerned with geography than working again.

With your work history, you are not in a position to be picky.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:37 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Quote:
What's wrong with waiting a few days before I start my job search? I needed a little time to process everything, update my resume, cover letter, get in touch with references and figure out my approach to my job search. Rushing into a job search would be absolutely foolish. And it's just a few days... Sheesh.
You knew this was inevitable. You should have been polishing your resume at the same time you posted this thread. I believe I was the second person to respond to this thread, and I told you then to start a job search. Two weeks later, you were let go and still took a few days before applying.
When I was trying to relocate back to my home state, I checked over 200 individual websites every single day. It took hours. Every. single. day. (And I was working two jobs- teaching full time and retail 5 days per week.)

Quote:
What do you mean I don't want to take a different position within my field? I'm open to all industries except public accounting. I tried it and didn't like it. Does it really make sense to go back to something that I hated? And I don't want to work 60+ hour weeks. I value work/life balance over money, promotion and power. Maybe you're different than me. Good for you.
If you need a job, then yes, it makes sense to go back to something you disliked.
I've never been about money, promotion, or power. I was an elementary teacher on a $30K pay freeze for a decade. Definitely not money, promotion, or power. But I loved my job. So much that I worked 25-30 hours per week in retail to make ends meet. I sacrificed. A lot. I had no life for a long time. But I did what I had to do because I loved my job. In my retail positions, I was promoted every time. I was a part time manager while maintaining a career. With that company, I started out as a temporary seasonal employee and I even had to clean bathrooms. Public bathrooms. With a college degree and a career. I did it because I had to (who can live on 30k a year when a rent for a 1 bedroom is 900/month).
Due to the changes in the political aspect of teaching, I left. With my current job, I've been asked to go into leadership but have declined. I do value a work/life balance and am happy with my current salary. However, I am the first ever person on my time to reach 'executive' level and I did it in the minimum amount of time (have to be in position 18 months).

Quote:
And yes, I have been laid off three times, but that's not my fault. First time was a mass layoff in 2009 after the financial crisis. Second time I was allegedly not following my manager's policy, and third, I was laid off due to budgetary and lack of work reasons. I had no control over these decisions.
The last two ARE your fault. I understand the first one. Many people were laid off during the recession. You are sugar coating this last one. You were rated poorly. No work? FIND WORK. There is always something that can be done.

I'm not here to brag. I'd start my own thread if I wanted to brag. I don't. I, for whatever reason, am trying to help you realize that you have to make some changes to be successful. I guess it is the teacher still inside of me. I don't like people to fail. But until you are ready to become successful, you will remain in your current cycle.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You avoid any job with any overtime, which is common in your industry.

You also at more concerned with geography than working again.

With your work history, you are not in a position to be picky.
Actually, most accounting jobs do not typically require significant overtime. That's mainly in public accounting. If I am able to find a good paying job that I'm qualified for, that doesn't require significant overtime, what is so wrong about that? I value balance, not money. I'm not that motivated by money.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:

And yes, I have been laid off three times, but that's not my fault. First time was a mass layoff in 2009 after the financial crisis. Second time I was allegedly not following my manager's policy...

Columbus was your fault with excessive time off when new. (and your rating was below average there - 2 out of 5)

Here is a link to your thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...red-month.html

Step 1: Accurately assess your pattern. Or else get ready to go through this every year for the next 30 plus.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
You knew this was inevitable. You should have been polishing your resume at the same time you posted this thread. I believe I was the second person to respond to this thread, and I told you then to start a job search. Two weeks later, you were let go and still took a few days before applying.
When I was trying to relocate back to my home state, I checked over 200 individual websites every single day. It took hours. Every. single. day. (And I was working two jobs- teaching full time and retail 5 days per week.)

If you need a job, then yes, it makes sense to go back to something you disliked.
I've never been about money, promotion, or power. I was an elementary teacher on a $30K pay freeze for a decade. Definitely not money, promotion, or power. But I loved my job. So much that I worked 25-30 hours per week in retail to make ends meet. I sacrificed. A lot. I had no life for a long time. But I did what I had to do because I loved my job. In my retail positions, I was promoted every time. I was a part time manager while maintaining a career. With that company, I started out as a temporary seasonal employee and I even had to clean bathrooms. Public bathrooms. With a college degree and a career. I did it because I had to (who can live on 30k a year when a rent for a 1 bedroom is 900/month).
Due to the changes in the political aspect of teaching, I left. With my current job, I've been asked to go into leadership but have declined. I do value a work/life balance and am happy with my current salary. However, I am the first ever person on my time to reach 'executive' level and I did it in the minimum amount of time (have to be in position 18 months).

The last two ARE your fault. I understand the first one. Many people were laid off during the recession. You are sugar coating this last one. You were rated poorly. No work? FIND WORK. There is always something that can be done.

I'm not here to brag. I'd start my own thread if I wanted to brag. I don't. I, for whatever reason, am trying to help you realize that you have to make some changes to be successful. I guess it is the teacher still inside of me. I don't like people to fail. But until you are ready to become successful, you will remain in your current cycle.
Your logic makes very little sense, plain and simple.

There's NO reason to rush into a job search and take ANY job that I know I'll hate. WHY put myself in that position?? I want a job that I will know that I want to stay in permanently, with GOOD work life balance. My first job was in public accounting, which required significant overtime and it caused serious burnout for me and I voluntarily left and promised to NEVER put myself through that again. You're basically suggesting that I rush into a search and take literally anything. Your logic makes NO sense.

And no, getting laid off due to lack of work is NOT my fault. Management struggled repeatedly to find work for me to do and so did I. Hence they eliminated the position and will NOT be seeking replacement. My below average performance review is irrelevant to their decision to eliminate the job.

I am willing to relocate in order to get the right opportunity. But I would rather not have to. But if that's what it takes, then YES I am willing to do it, at my own expense even.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Columbus was your fault with excessive time off when new. (and your rating was below average there - 2 out of 5)

Here is a link to your thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...red-month.html

Step 1: Accurately assess your pattern. Or else get ready to go through this every year for the next 30 plus.
Pattern? That was a one time occurrence. I've never had this issue at other jobs. Only the Columbus job. That employer was terrible and even the recruiters told me they were terrible.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:01 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel
I'd renew month-to-month, given what you've said, unless the penalty for breaking a one-year lease early is less than $1200.
Yes especially if your not sure if you will stay there.......

Leasing a whole year is bad if you choose to bail out.... Good luck my friend

Old 03-11-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Pattern? That was a one time occurrence. I've never had this issue at other jobs. Only the Columbus job. That employer was terrible and even the recruiters told me they were terrible.

and in Middletown region, another sub par rating, followed by termination.

When you searched, these 2 employers were your only choices. I doubt your ex public accounting colleagues have so far options. Had you built off that start, you would not be changing jobs again, for the umpteenth time. If you choose to turn around the pattern, you have most of your worklife ahead of you..plenty of time. I hope you do the self assessment you so need to do.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
and in Middletown region, another sub par rating, followed by termination.

When you searched, these 2 employers were your only choices. I doubt your ex public accounting colleagues have so far options. Had you built off that start, you would not be changing jobs again, for the umpteenth time. If you choose to turn around the pattern, you have most of your worklife ahead of you..plenty of time. I hope you do the self assessment you so need to do.

That is not true. In 2015, I received two offers. I don't understand what the "pattern" is here. I literally have no control over company decisions when it comes to lay offs. It happens. Clearly, this company in Middletown (nor any company before the Columbus job) had no problem with me taking time off, which is normal. Only that ONE company in Columbus had a problem with it. Quit blaming me for everything. There is such a thing as ridiculous companies, by the way.

I seriously don't see what self assessment needs to be done here. The events of the past two years were largely out of my control. One thing that WAS in my control, however, was when I voluntarily resigned from my wonderful job in Stamford. The only real lesson that I learned was to KEEP a good job and make the best of no matter where I live. THAT was the self assessment that I made, and I now live by it.

The bottom line here is that I will likely find suitable employment within the next several months, regardless of what you internet "expert" people say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting