Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Renew the lease for a full year, save money and hope for the best 1 5.26%
Renew for month-to-month and protect yourself against uncertainty 18 94.74%
Terminate the lease and move into another apartment around here 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

My most recent performance review was slightly below average, which was disappointing and shocked me, because I thought I was performing average.

This is your Problem! In this day when each job get tons of applicants being Average Not going to cut it!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My most recent performance review was slightly below average, which was disappointing and shocked me, because I thought I was performing average.

This is your Problem! In this day when each job get tons of applicants being Average Not going to cut it!
Well, employers typically don't know how a new hire is going to perform on the job until they're actually on the job. My next employer will not be able to see my performance reviews from my current job anyway. I tried my best, but got a slightly below average review, simply because of one category. The other categories, I received an average rating.

Anyway, the more I think about it, I think month-to-month renting would make more sense, on the basis that my most recent performance review is below average, and on the basis that I can comfortably afford the 10% rent premium.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:10 PM

You should STOP thinking Average! Think Doing your BEST! Stop being a Slacker!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You should STOP thinking Average! Think Doing your BEST! Stop being a Slacker!
What are you talking about? I am doing my best. I'm not being a slacker. The work just ain't there. This position should have been part-time. Performance is all in the eyes of the beholder. I've had past managers who gave me "exceeds expectations." But not this manager now.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:01 PM

Then tell the Boss! Have him Cut your hours! ... Hope you can live off 1/2 pay check! OR you can Find work to do Even if you Clean the Commodes!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Can you afford the additional $100 a month? If so, I'd go month-to-month to have the benefit of flexibility.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Can you afford the additional $100 a month? If so, I'd go month-to-month to have the benefit of flexibility.
Yes, I have enough room in my budget to take up to an additional $225 a month.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Renewing for month to month is the answer. Don't lock yourself into uncertainty.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I hope you are wrong about losing your job, but with all you have said, I would be nervous about it.

Go with the month to month. That way you can give your 30 day notice and get rid of that obligation and be able to move to a new location for a new job offer.

As for having nothing to do, you must learn how to look busy. In your position, I'd get my work done fast. Then I'd double check my work to make sure it was error free. Then I'd check to see if any more work for me was being held up in the pipe line. Then, if I still had free time, I'd sign up for some online training that applied to my job.

That would make me more valuable and if the boss came by and peeked over my shoulder, he wouldn't see me chatting on City Data. He'd see me working on something job related.

I happen to be pretty good at business, so I'd study the business model and if I saw something that was obvious that would increase business, I'd do the research, write it up, all with graphs and figures, and turn it in, not to my supervising manager, but to the owner or president of the company.

The every last thing I would do when my work was finished would be to sit around and look like I was doing nothing.

If jobs are hard to come by and you want to keep your job, you do not stop and do the very minimum required by your job. You have to figure out how to make yourself a more valuable employee.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I hope you are wrong about losing your job, but with all you have said, I would be nervous about it.

Go with the month to month. That way you can give your 30 day notice and get rid of that obligation and be able to move to a new location for a new job offer.

As for having nothing to do, you must learn how to look busy. In your position, I'd get my work done fast. Then I'd double check my work to make sure it was error free. Then I'd check to see if any more work for me was being held up in the pipe line. Then, if I still had free time, I'd sign up for some online training that applied to my job.

That would make me more valuable and if the boss came by and peeked over my shoulder, he wouldn't see me chatting on City Data. He'd see me working on something job related.

I happen to be pretty good at business, so I'd study the business model and if I saw something that was obvious that would increase business, I'd do the research, write it up, all with graphs and figures, and turn it in, not to my supervising manager, but to the owner or president of the company.

The every last thing I would do when my work was finished would be to sit around and look like I was doing nothing.

If jobs are hard to come by and you want to keep your job, you do not stop and do the very minimum required by your job. You have to figure out how to make yourself a more valuable employee.
I am not doing the bare minimum. This job should never have been created as a full time job. My manager was not the one who created my job, but he even told me, "I don't think they realized how light the workload would be when your job was created." Anyway, my manager NEVER comes to my cubicle ever. He might email me like once every two weeks for a quick question and that's it. We only meet face to face about once or twice a month. It's like i don't even exist in this company! Literally everything I do is done well ahead of the deadline, and I do a good job at it. Sometimes I have sophisticated Excel spreadsheets open on my screen, to make it look like I'm busy. But my cubicle is deep into a dead end aisle where no one important ever really goes. Basically, only the first week of each month is when I have actual work, and that's it. The ONLY exception was between Oct and Jan, when I was 100% busy the whole time. But the next 7-8 months will be 60% idle time or more. And they're paying me $70K for this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting