Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,020,310 times

Advertisements

MigratingCoconut, let me introduce you to the concept of fire doors. I realize that building cods differ vastly by locale, and admit I'm not certain if the fire source being protected from is autos or water heaters, but at least in CA and AZ the door leading from garage to habitable space must be an approved fire door.

I don't know CA rental laws but visiting friends who live in apartments I can see the fire doors sectioning the halls and even the low melting point links that hold the doors open, ready to melt and slam the hallway into segments to prevent fire spreading, and I'd bet your ass (not mine) that all the main apartment doors are also fire code.

YMMV, depends on your local fire regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Then Tenant NEEDS to Build the WALL! Not lock the other tenant out! Or they could just Rent a Locked Storage place!
Katie, I think you need to get right over and build it for them. Or if not at least take up a collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:12 PM

539 posts, read 562,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
MigratingCoconut, let me introduce you to the concept of fire doors. I realize that building cods differ vastly by locale, and admit I'm not certain if the fire source being protected from is autos or water heaters, but at least in CA and AZ the door leading from garage to habitable space must be an approved fire door.

I don't know CA rental laws but visiting friends who live in apartments I can see the fire doors sectioning the halls and even the low melting point links that hold the doors open, ready to melt and slam the hallway into segments to prevent fire spreading, and I'd bet your ass (not mine) that all the main apartment doors are also fire code.

YMMV, depends on your local fire regulations.

Katie, I think you need to get right over and build it for them. Or if not at least take up a collection.
Not sure what point you're trying to get across when I WAS agreeing with the fact that Katie is wrong, the doors should be locked.

It's not a fire door. It's not an emergency exit specific door. The landlord just doesn't want other people using her washer and dryer. Not sure why you felt the need to bring that up, when I gave examples to prove why people want their doors/belongings secure, and it just looks like you're here right now to start a debate. Again

Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Not sure what point you're trying to get across when I WAS agreeing with the fact that Katie is wrong, the doors should be locked.
What? Katie wrong?

I better stop here. Don't want the mods mad at me!

I wasn't disagreeing with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
It's not a fire door. It's not an emergency exit specific door. The landlord just doesn't want other people using her washer and dryer. Not sure why you felt the need to bring that up, when I gave examples to prove why people want their doors/belongings secure, and it just looks like you're here right now to start a debate. Again
I had trouble imagining your setup. However your main unit entrance doors being equivalent to bedroom doors seems just wrong.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 PM

539 posts, read 562,670 times
Quote:
What? Katie wrong?

I better stop here. Don't want the mods mad at me!

I wasn't disagreeing with you!

I had trouble imagining your setup. However your main unit entrance doors being equivalent to bedroom doors seems just wrong.
Lololol. No, never!

It's the exact same "bedroom door" quality doors we have on our... well, bedroom doors. It's how the apartment is set up, and where it's located. The parking spots are slots of pavement where grass was in a... half circle... drive that belongs to a different apartment complex. Crazy weird. So, we collectively use that as our front doors even though they are technically the back doors. They are our door doors with double/triple locks. But not our front doors. Our address and mailboxes are on the front of the building. THAT door is a decent door. It's weird. And yes, if our tv is off, we can hear EVERYTHING everyone else is doing. If I could upload pics i would but i have no clue how to do that on a phone for a proper format. My phone does it in a weird format.

ANYWAYS. The point was its a communal door. Everyone is responsible for making sure it's secure when we unlock it to go get the mail. Or when the pizza guy can't figure out what "use back door" means.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM

13,649 posts, read 12,298,450 times
Quote:
However the tenant who won't lock his garage door is IMO still an ass.
I think they deserve each other TBH.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:02 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,568,193 times
Well, you'll bounce back and forth between 'you can't allow his stuff to be available to be stolen'....and 'he can't lock you out of space you both share.'

But you are the one causing danger and crime....stuff to be available to be stolen.

So stop doing that and he may then safely make the shared space available to both of you. Although I wouldn't blame him for never trusting you since you don't get the concept.

Get someplace where any potentially damaging situation you cause only you can be effected, not someone else.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,907,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuether237 View Post
I share a garage with the tenant downstairs. We both have a garage door as its a 2 car garage but he locks his side and I do not. I was informed by the tenant downstairs that if I do not start locking my side hes going to lock me out. So he did. Is this legal? The landlord is on his side about this and it is NOT in the lease that I have to keep the garage door locked. Now my garbage can is sitting outside because he wont let us in the garage where my personal things are btw.
legal or not, I'd lock you out too if you refused to secure an area we share. I'd be skipping to the courthouse to pay any ticket/fine to ensure that my property is secure.

It's common sense to lock your doors...it shouldn't have to be in the lease!

If something is stolen or damaged in that garage and you file an ins claim and its found that the access door was left unlocked, your ins (or your garage mate's) won't pay the claim

Don't be difficult...lock the door.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
LL Needs to Build a WALL between the garages! LL also needs to Lower the Rent since the Garage is Included in the deal! Other Tenant NEEDS Renters insurance! Contact a Local Lawyer....
A wall? really? In a shared garage? No, both occupants of the garage need to lock the door behind them.

Renter's ins is all great and wonderful, but if the door is left unlocked and a claimed filed, the ins company won't pay due to carrier negligence.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Since when is One Tenant Responsible for another tenants things! LL going to Inc Garages then LL should Fix it where tenant is Only responsible for their stuff.

I don't lock my car & 1/2 the time I even leave the keys in it.... does that mean my Neighbors are responsible if my car gets stolen NO!

IF LL is renting out a 2 car garage to Each Tenant then YES LL is responsible to make sure the Tenant can Lock it or not!
I can't..just can't.....

I'm going to slowly back out before I get sent to time out.

let me just say this first: I hope you have really good ins on that car...most policies do not pay due to carrier negligence and leaving the doors unlocked or leaving the keys in the car is considered negligence.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Kim, you reached the same conclusion I did. There is no solution to this problem unless the tenant who refuses to lock the shared garage turns into a decent person. Like that will ever happen...

Sorry, I think we just have to watch this topic burn down, maybe bring marshmallows and hot dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting