Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 AM

497 posts, read 423,238 times

Advertisements

Move in day was yesterday.

Due to work, my husband got the keys and got a tour. By the time I finished work, we went there with some of our belongings. The place is not ready! I understand if the new stove & fridge was not hooked up because the super. was nice to explain when we move in, it may not be there yet and we were okay with that.

The bathroom is so disgusting, same with the kitchen cabinets. There is dirt inside, some wood dust and I'm told that we will be getting new windows in the bedroom because if you saw it, so disgusting!

I have concerns because I wanted to bring in my dishes and I couldn't. The bathroom had a lot of build-up of soap scum and there are two open pipes coming out of the wall and I don't know if bugs can transport from another unit or what. The super want my husband to put in all the fixtures in the kitchen but my husband didn't want to say he can't due to a medical problem and I don't think I can also. I don't have the strength due to my medical problems.

Our paid assigned parking spot was taken and we had to park illegally because of this.

I want to call the super and complain. I wan't to be able to bring all our clothes, dishes and small furniture this weekend and the following will be our large boxes and furniture.

The super. had to fix this unit up form a evicted single mother. She had tore up the floors, the kitchen and bathroom, living room was disgusting. They did a great job but those cabinets in the kitchen is ugly. The bathroom....

Anyway, how do I just say it to this super? I have to get this done this weekend because of work. How do I get him to clean up all that soap scum and such; and the kitchen drawers?

I have to call him today. I couldn't sleep at the sight of the bathroom soap scum and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
The super had to fix this unit up form a evicted single mother.
She had tore up the floors, the kitchen and bathroom, living room was disgusting.

Move in day was yesterday.
The place is not ready!
And knowing the prior condition to be so extreme... you didn't have another look before just showing up?

Quote:
Our paid assigned parking spot was taken and we had to park illegally
The bathroom is so disgusting, same with the kitchen cabinets.
There is dirt inside, some wood dust and I'm told that we will be getting new windows...
The super want my husband to put in all the fixtures in the kitchen..

I want to call the super and complain.
I have to call him today.
And you should. But you should complain to the OWNER more.
Immediately. Then follow up the verbal conversation with letters.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:50 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Maybe you should have explained to your husband better about what you expected.

When you rent, what you see is what you get. You can request that repairs be completed and hope that it happens. Put your request in writing.

I suspect that either this place is cheap or else rentals are very tight in your area and you have to take what you can get. Otherwise, why would you sign a lease on such a yucky place?

Probably what is going to happen is that you either start to do some cleaning or you live with the dirt the way it is.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:04 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
My general rule when renting is if I don't like the place when I see it I pass. No amount of promising from the LL is going to change that.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,872 times
yer prolly stuck with a dirty place .. so what to do now? roll up your sleeves and start cleaning .. or since you work .. hire a cleaning service AND before they start take pictures & get written statements from the cleaning crew about date.. time in to time done and have all of that ready for when you move out if you want to get your deposits back.. I think your husband was being to nice about the unit as it was .. so now your stuck.. fix it and docoument it with pictures dates and costs to protect yourself ..
as for the car .. call a tow company and have it towed .. if your spot is assigned you need to make sure folks respect that .. having a car towed isn't a way to make friends and such but it makes it clear your not gonna be used and ingored

Old 03-02-2017, 07:26 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
A dirty place isn't the end of the world. If everything else is okay, then clean it up and move on. I remember when I moved into my place, which I bought. My realtor was very upset when, on walk-through the morning of closing, the kitchen was very dirty and there were big bags of trash and old paint cans left behind. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "In the scope of things that can be wrong, I can deal with a little trash and dirt." I cleaned it up and forgot about it that day. Now, the water leak I had on Day 2 was another story. Trash and dirt? No big deal in my book.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
A dirty place isn't the end of the world. If everything else is okay, then clean it up and move on. I remember when I moved into my place, which I bought. My realtor was very upset when, on walk-through the morning of closing, the kitchen was very dirty and there were big bags of trash and old paint cans left behind. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "In the scope of things that can be wrong, I can deal with a little trash and dirt." I cleaned it up and forgot about it that day. Now, the water leak I had on Day 2 was another story. Trash and dirt? No big deal in my book.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I need to calm down. I've never seen this type of dirt in a home before.

The dirt is disgusting soap scum in the bathroom that I have never seen before in my life. I don't know if I could scrub it all out and may need commercial industry chemicals to get it removed. I think the bathroom edges need to be resealed from the cracks. Getting these supplies will cost money that I do not have in my budget.

The kitchen cabinets are dirty and I can clean them, but there is one spot that I have no idea how to clean it out.

I am shocked because I am not used to seeing this level of dirt that seriously made me want to vomit.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Maybe you should have explained to your husband better about what you expected.

When you rent, what you see is what you get. You can request that repairs be completed and hope that it happens. Put your request in writing.

I suspect that either this place is cheap or else rentals are very tight in your area and you have to take what you can get. Otherwise, why would you sign a lease on such a yucky place?

Probably what is going to happen is that you either start to do some cleaning or you live with the dirt the way it is.
Oh men!

My husband standard is not comparable to mine
Today, he admit that he is disgusted with the disgusting dirt in the bathroom and we can't stand the sight of it.

The rent is in my opinion, high. Average for the city.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I wish I had old paint cans & trash then what we've got in our bathroom.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And knowing the prior condition to be so extreme... you didn't have another look before just showing up?

And you should. But you should complain to the OWNER more.
Immediately. Then follow up the verbal conversation with letters.
It wasn't ready for viewing and I'm at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting