Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Just marketing

I lived in a new "luxury" apartment and it felt like it was constructed of popsicle sticks and bubble gum. I could hear every step above me, every flush, shower, cough, ugh.
Exactly!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 01:42 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
Default It's all marketing, "luxury" varies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I lived in "luxury apartments" and some are not luxurious. my last one i moved from had a nice indoor pool, game room, laundry in-apartment, however, the elevator broke down once per month and some things still needed maintenance. My place now which i really love, is listed as luxury but i am living in an apartment with no garbage disposal, no pool, no jacuzzi, old fashioned cabinets, but i love it because it meets my needs in other important ways.
It's just marketing "luxury" will vary.

To be honest, I lived in a very plain apartment, but they had a pool, sauna, club house, security guard, 24/7 maintenance...they weren't advertised as "luxury" but they were actually pretty nice. I mean, how much do you need, it's a rental

Personally, I prefer "vintage" (I know that's code word for "old") There's almost nothing "vintage" in Seattle. But I like cute, quirky, and character...can rarely be found here!

Old 02-26-2017, 01:44 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's a code word to justify a high rent.

And they are not just apartments if they have updated and more expensive features or finishes such as granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, etc , and perhaps nicer amenities.

To me a new apartment is a luxury in and of itself. Everything is new and clean and you are the first to use it.
Amen, I lived in a new apartment once, it was soo nice. Not granite, not stainless....appliances were black. But I had a brand new washer/dryer, and everything else was new, so it was nice. I mean CHEAP (as everything is these days) but New.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:19 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
It's just marketing "luxury" will vary.

To be honest, I lived in a very plain apartment, but they had a pool, sauna, club house, security guard, 24/7 maintenance...they weren't advertised as "luxury" but they were actually pretty nice. I mean, how much do you need, it's a rental

Personally, I prefer "vintage" (I know that's code word for "old") There's almost nothing "vintage" in Seattle. But I like cute, quirky, and character...can rarely be found here!
Yes that would be nice! I am thinking that if you compare some crappy apartments vs some decent apartments, the crappy ones are so horrid that your average-looking apartment seems to be luxury. And it is in some ways.

I live in Chicago, and i would not dare live in some areas, the place looks horrid! Old, falling apart, chipping paint, bugs, no elevator so you have to walk up to the 4th floor; old appliances, old cabinets, etc. So my place is nice because i don't have any of the problems. so yeah, compared to those places, my place IS luxury. But compared to like Trump Tower or some of the more expensive apartments which are gorgeous, but too much for my paycheck, this place is excellent to me. The amenities that i need are not what someone else likes, but it is good for me. Mainly - carpet for my sore feet, and an elevator that i can count on not to break down. Speaking of that, there's one building downtown that has an indoor pool and jacuzzi (used to be a major healclub), but the elevator goes out for 3 week at a time. People from the 41st floor have to walk up and down stairs to get to and from home. No way would i do THAT. but it sure was a nice building. They are paying luxury rent to live in a walkup. Not good when the building is 60 stories high.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 PM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Millennial, high income, no kids.
Not necessarily high income...disposable income.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:12 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
I mean, how much do you need, it's a rental
Just like the term "luxury" will vary, so will people and their standards. Our group's buildings have some of the highest rental rates in their areas, yet we have a waiting list.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:17 AM

420 posts, read 469,028 times
I lived in McMansions before but they are mostly built of cheaper materials.

"New Apartments" would have been just as good instead of the marketing ploy that it's "luxury".

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
In my area a lot of the apartments are being torn down and replaced with luxury units. It's the same reason why McMansions are built as standard rather than small starter homes. More money involved for the developers.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM

I know someone who is paying market rent for a very nice apartment, but they have section 8 people that pay whatever they pay, and they have totally screwed up the building where she says she feels like she is living in the projects. Not all section 8's are bad, but if you get the ones who act immature and do crappy stuff, then that once beautiful apartment complex is now a ghetto.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 AM

I know someone who lives in a very nice apartment paying market rent. However, the building let in too much section 8 people, and while some section 8's are ok, these happened to be the kind that do not care about acting civil or mature or responsible,, Drunkenness, vomit on the hallway, loud parties, visitors who don't belong are parking her reserved parking space, etc. What was once considered a luxury apartment is not horrid.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:26 AM

I know someone who lives in what was once a luxury apartment, but now its turned horrid. the building had to let some below-market renters in who have really ruined the place, vomit in the hallway, loud parties at bad hours of the night, visitors parking in her reserved parking space. now she lives in a low class kind of place where it was once nice. and she pays market rent while the people destroying the complex are paying below market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting