Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:57 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post

Also, a landlord cannot enter the house without a 24 hour notice. If there's an emergency, he can contact one of many many emergency contacts on our list that also have the app installed that can disarm the system.
In an emergency, a LL can enter your property with no notice, and has no obligation to call anyone, first.

Why did you start this thread if you are adament that your view is correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
...a landlord cannot enter the house without a 24 hour notice.
He absolutely can and NO he does not have to call anyone before entering.

Quote:
A cure or quit on WHAT? On what?
As has been said about ten times now: modifying and the aggravation.
Non compliance then leads to the eviction.

You don't have to like it... but that's the deal.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 AM

54 posts, read 80,780 times
You have multiple threads on here where you continually call your landlord a "slumlord" and rant about how you would stick it to him in court. You've had a break in and felt the need to pay for an alarm and permit, etc. If things are so bad why not just move? The money you spent on an alarm could have been put torward moving to a place where you don't need one and the landlord is not a "slumlord". Why continue to live in this place if it's so bad?

If things are really as you state I doubt the landlord will care you installed a wireless alarm, but legally the others are correct regarding landlord needing to disable the alarm for emergency access.

Again, why not move to a better area?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:15 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
In an emergency, a LL can enter your property with no notice, and has no obligation to call anyone, first.

Why did you start this thread if you are adament that your view is correct?
No I understand that. The alarm system will not prevent entry.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert419 View Post
You have multiple threads on here where you continually call your landlord a "slumlord" and rant about how you would stick it to him in court. You've had a break in and felt the need to pay for an alarm and permit, etc. If things are so bad why not just move? The money you spent on an alarm could have been put torward moving to a place where you don't need one and the landlord is not a "slumlord". Why continue to live in this place if it's so bad?

If things are really as you state I doubt the landlord will care you installed a wireless alarm, but legally the others are correct regarding landlord needing to disable the alarm for emergency access.

If my landlord was a communicative landlord that responded in a timely manner and abided by the same rules on the lease just as we have to abide by the rules on the lease, I would have no problem keeping him informed.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert419 View Post

My bad, I didn't respond to your full question. As to moving, my wife will be teaching in august and we can then move. We didn't want to move before we knew the area she will be teaching.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:23 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Hello all. So after my house, that I am renting, had had a near break in several weeks ago, I obtained a pretty nice ADT system. My wife asked a question the other day that I was curious to know about. She asked me if we are required to furnish the Landlord and his associates (repairman and contractors) the alarm code. So that got me thinking. I checked my lease and nowhere inside it does it say either way about the alarm code. Personally, I would have a huge issue with giving the LL the code. If I knew that the LL was going to make repairs in my home in advance, I would use my mobile app to disarm and arm it when they arrive and depart. It's as easy as that.

I wanted to get the take from the Landlords here, and heck, tenants too. Landlords, do you feel it is an obligation for your tenants to furnish this code? Tenants, would you furnish the code upon request?
Did you get permission from the landlord to have the security system installed on their property?
I would guess the current lease you have does not include any security system requirements because
you just had it installed so looking at your lease is a moot point.
You should see about amending the lease to include the security system and you should give the code to the landlord who actually owns the property.
If you do not want to give the property owner the code perhaps you should purchase your own home and be as secretive as you want with your own property.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
No I understand that. The alarm system will not prevent entry.
Yes it will. A LL has to be able to enter the property if there is some kind of emergency.

If you are not home and he needs to enter the alarm will go off, you will be called by the alarm company, you won't know if it's an intruder or your LL and the police will be called to the false alarm and you may be charged for it. Also as a renter you may not know that most towns require you to register your alarm with the local police department and pay a fee yearly.

So call your alarm company and ask them to add a few more codes. Give one to the LL, you should be able to check online each time the codes were used and when to gain entry.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
Also, a landlord cannot enter the house without a 24 hour notice. If there's an emergency, he can contact one of many many emergency contacts on our list that also have the app installed that can disarm the system.
Actually, according to Arizona state law he can enter your home without notice in the event of an emergency. Because of that law, he is not required to call your emergency contacts. BTW, state law trumps your lease. So he enters the home for a perceived emergency, and next thing you know the fire, police, and EMT are showing up. That's not going to go over well with anyone.

OP, if you're so adamantly opposed to giving your LL the code, why did you even start this thread?

Just do what you've already decided to do.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
We get it. You hate your landlord and are using this as another point to stick it to them or something. Trying to get control back or some weird power play. But what you are suggesting may allow the landlord to evict you. It doesn't matter what you think or what your logic tells you. What matters is the law and the lease. The LL absolutely does not have to hunt you down in the event of an emergency. Even if you buy him a phone and say press 1 and it connects directly to me 24/7, he is under no obligation to listen to you. You obviously just came here to rant about your landlord and see if we will agree that you can keep him out of your house (not physically but he'd hear an alarm and possibly be arrested). You have your mind made up so go do it and be ready for the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting