Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 AM

514 posts, read 764,588 times

Advertisements

Dogs I get. They can do a lot of damage to their environment. But what is with a deposit for cats? I can't think of what kind of damage they can do to a unit (assuming they are fixed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:05 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Cat pee. It's very damaging.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Are you kidding? Cat pee is one of the most noxious substances known to man. And male cats can, and will, spray even after they've been fixed.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 AM

514 posts, read 764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Are you kidding? Cat pee is one of the most noxious substances known to man. And male cats can, and will, spray even after they've been fixed.
This tends to only be true for intact male cats. The smell is linked to a sexual hormone that stops getting produced once fixed.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
This tends to only be true for intact male cats. The smell is linked to a sexual hormone that stops getting produced once fixed.
While intact male cat pee is right up there with billy goat pee, neutered cat pee is still pretty potent.

I've been living with cats for nearly 40 years, as a home owner and as a renter. I love them, but I'm not blind to their issues.

BTW, I once had a neutered female cat who sprayed. She couldn't do it as well as an intact male could, but she did do it. Also, some neutered males still spray.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-01-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 09:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
We had a tenant just recently in one of our rentals who lied to us about their pet situation. They claimed to have 1 dog. They actually had 2 dogs and 2 cats. During the time they lived in the rental, they accumulated pets until they had, we think, 4 dogs and 5 or 6 cats. When they moved out, it cost us almost $9000 to get the house back to livable. A small amount of that was dog, but most of it was cat. Everyone we had working in the house had to wear masks for the first few days while we tore out everything, including insulation inside the walls, that was urine soaked.

Puppies that aren't housetrained are the worst for damage, but to say that cats don't do enough damage to warrant a deposit is just ignoring facts.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
We had a tenant just recently in one of our rentals who lied to us about their pet situation. They claimed to have 1 dog. They actually had 2 dogs and 2 cats. During the time they lived in the rental, they accumulated pets until they had, we think, 4 dogs and 5 or 6 cats. When they moved out, it cost us almost $9000 to get the house back to livable. A small amount of that was dog, but most of it was cat. Everyone we had working in the house had to wear masks for the first few days while we tore out everything, including insulation inside the walls, that was urine soaked.

Puppies that aren't housetrained are the worst for damage, but to say that cats don't do enough damage to warrant a deposit is just ignoring facts.
On behalf of responsible renters everywhere, I'm sorry this happened to you. It was wrong.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:56 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Expect this to be 50 pages of which is worse, cats or dogs. The answer is neither is worse generally speaking. Some dogs are worse, some cats are worse. Usually it's the owners that are the problem though.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Pretty much what several posters have written. Thankfully, my kitten (male, 3-4 months old, recently neutered) has never sprayed and I pray that he never does. And, truth be told, none of my family's cats (and we've only had males) ever sprayed in the house. That said, it can and does happen and property owners would be wise to take precautions to cover themselves against such damage.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
No. I've NEVER known a cat owner that didn't have a stinky mess. Most were spayed females, one neutered male. And they all stunk the place up. They were far from 100% in hitting the litter box. Even when the owners are neat, clean women, they stink the place up. They think they are clean cat owners, but they aren't.

My last apartment had a cat owner in their previously. I lived there for over two years, and the closet still stank like cats when I left.

Honestly, I can't understand the attraction to having a cat in the house. But that's another discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting