Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times

Advertisements

My downstairs neighbor is retired military and plays music some nights, including weeknights, until 2:30 a.m. or even recently until 4:15 a.m.

I use earbuds AND a noise cancelling machine yet still hear music, and a little vibration from his ceiling.

This is absurd.

Should I leave a note or call the landlord directly? I understand any responsible and mature adult talks with the offender and doesn't just leave a note...the sissy way if a male. I am male. Isn't calling the landlord or leaving a note the "passive aggressive" way?

I'll wimp out and call the landlord, I'm afraid to admit. He has no regards for his downstairs neighbor, either. The heck about worrying about the etiquette of bypassing him and calling the landlord like I'm in kindergarten. He has no etiquette.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 04:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
No, it's not acceptable.

Go talk to your landlord and ask him/her to please address the issue with your neighbor. During your conversation let the landlord know that if the noise continues, you will have no option but to call the police. In my area, not only can the tenant be fined for noise, but so can the landlord. We have local noise ordinances...you might want to read your lease, community rules and check your local laws.

Follow up your in person conversation with a simple thank you email: Thank you so much for meeting with me today to discuss the noise issue with unit #123. As I said this morning/afternoon, I will give you a few days to make contact with the unit; however, if the noise continues beyond that point, I will have no choice but to contact the police. You can add a few more bits and pieces, but basically you're creating a paper trail.

our last complex manager told residents that she's rather we call her (or the office) with complaints and not address with the person because people can be funny about stuff like this. She was also the one that said to please follow up all conversations with an email so the she too could have a paper trail to use against problem tenants. She was a great manager...didn't take crap from anyone.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, it's not acceptable.

Go talk to your landlord and ask him/her to please address the issue with your neighbor. During your conversation let the landlord know that if the noise continues, you will have no option but to call the police. In my area, not only can the tenant be fined for noise, but so can the landlord. We have local noise ordinances...you might want to read your lease, community rules and check your local laws.

Follow up your in person conversation with a simple thank you email: Thank you so much for meeting with me today to discuss the noise issue with unit #123. As I said this morning/afternoon, I will give you a few days to make contact with the unit; however, if the noise continues beyond that point, I will have no choice but to contact the police. You can add a few more bits and pieces, but basically you're creating a paper trail.

our last complex manager told residents that she's rather we call her (or the office) with complaints and not address with the person because people can be funny about stuff like this. She was also the one that said to please follow up all conversations with an email so the she too could have a paper trail to use against problem tenants. She was a great manager...didn't take crap from anyone.
Thanks for the great advice. I repped you, of course.

I just think/thought a mature adult, male or female, should be able to address, in person, such issues? Don't hide behind a note and don't stomp my feet to get back at hm, as others have done with me. I had a new neighbor above who I didn't know; he started banging on my ceiling because my phone conversation was too loud, especially at midnight. I went up to ask what's the problem, and he told me. Gee, he wasn't "adult" enough either to knock on my door. (Sarcasm).

Yes, I realize I may be silly at this point to even worry about finding sn "adult" approach. Just call the landlord.

I had one new tenant below who left a note years ago, complaining my arriving at my efficiency at 6 a.m. after my night shift interrupted his sleep. Never knew what he looked like. I had generally always tried to be quiet and always removed my shoes, anyway, ASAP, but...he moved out soon, as it's a somewhat transient building.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,067 times
I'd go ask my neighbor if he'd mind terribly using headphones after a certain hour before I went to the landlord.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:15 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
no its not acceptable, and anyone living in an apartment should have the common sense to know this.
it is unbelieveable that there are so many in-considerate dim-witted idiots that think they are the only tenants...

Old 03-04-2017, 01:48 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times
As a landlord with 9 single family homes, I have asked tenants and the house's beside them to contact me if there are noise complaints rather than the neighbor. I'd rather address it than have the tenants get into a spat with neighbors. After that, they are told to call police then let me know the next day that they did so.
Contacting the LL is the correct way to deal with it. As a LL want to know if my tenants are disturbing others. I'd rather get rid of one problem tenant, rather than risk losing others if I had apartments. If my tenant in one of my homes is being inconsiderate to neighbors with loud music, wild parties, barking dogs or trashy yard, I want to know about it so I can take care of it. Typically if someone is inconsiderate of others, they are not suddly going to be considerate to the LL about taking care of their home, and most likely will trash or damage the place.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:10 PM

539 posts, read 566,303 times
One of the first things my landlord said to us when we first moved in, after NO NOODLES IN THE DISPOSAL, was that if there were problems with the other neighbors/tenants, duke it out ourselves. She wasn't going to get involved in petty nonsense.

What does him being an old veteran have anything to do with your problem? Did he recently get back from the military, so the problems are just now happening?

Does he realize his music is noticeable through walls/floors/ceilings? You said you can feel the vibrations, not the noise itself. At 4:15am, either he's got problems and CAN'T go to sleep, or having that background noise filling the emptiness helps him stay asleep.

As an adult, you should, and everyone should, be a bit more compassionate. Go talk to him. Go MEET him, obviously you already have or you wouldn't know he was a veteran unless you gossip with your neighbors. Say HEY, thanks for your service to protect this country, it means a lot to The People, but I wanted to come down to let you know that you probably didn't even realize, but your music/base of the music you listen to goes through the floor/ceiling. Do you mind turning the base down or turning it down or using headphones when it gets past midnight? If he's old, and he's open to it, SHOW him how to change the settings on the speakers/radio/phone.

If people show just a little compassion and not abrasiveness, it can go a long way. Just think, if you can hear his music, you can be sure he can hear your tv.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:24 AM

123 posts, read 138,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
My downstairs neighbor is retired military and plays music some nights, including weeknights, until 2:30 a.m. or even recently until 4:15 a.m.

I use earbuds AND a noise cancelling machine yet still hear music, and a little vibration from his ceiling.

This is absurd.

Should I leave a note or call the landlord directly? I understand any responsible and mature adult talks with the offender and doesn't just leave a note...the sissy way if a male. I am male. Isn't calling the landlord or leaving a note the "passive aggressive" way?

I'll wimp out and call the landlord, I'm afraid to admit. He has no regards for his downstairs neighbor, either. The heck about worrying about the etiquette of bypassing him and calling the landlord like I'm in kindergarten. He has no etiquette.

Thanks.

You shouldn't be able to still hear stereo noise if you have earbuds in your ears.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:55 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
Just think, if you can hear his music, you can be sure he can hear your tv.
Not necessarily. If the BASS (it's spelled "bass" when you're talking about music FYI) is turned up, that's usually what people hear, and a high bass level is what makes the walls, floor and ceiling vibrate. Turn it down or, preferably, off, and you can actually have the sound up at a higher level. I use a sound bar with my TV but I have the sound level set in such a way that I'm not vibrating the walls. I also don't use a sub-woofer with any of my audio equipment.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:33 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,504 times
Hi neighbor. I'm sure you don't realize how easy the sound travels through our walls. I can hear your music past 10:00pm. Thanks.

A simple note on the door. THEN it get escalated if there is no appropriate response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting