Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:36 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,166 times

Advertisements

So we moved into this place in December 2016. No luck with finding good neighbors in the last three years at all. This is a six month lease. We move in and literally first hour blasting stereo next door on left side. Call the office on site after inspection move in and by the time she gets to my apartment, the noise is off. Nothing but constant noise next door, every day all day, constant traffic, slamming of doors, bass, screaming, all hours of the night.. she doesn't work, I know, I was unemployed when I moved in for one month. Office was notified and so was she, twice . After the letters, she started banging on the joined wall. The music stopped for about one month and has started up again. We're getting transferred this month to another apartment after contacting corporate. Apparently this tenant is a problem tenant who was allowed to stay after a few of her friends and family were thrown out for the same issues with other neighbors. Completely rachet.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Security isn't available until 8 pm, maintenance wasn't available and the bass coming from her side was so strong that the pots on my stove were clattering. So I called the local sheriff. They came quickly, and left. Few minutes later someone knocks on my door like the police. It's this crazy idiot next door wanting to know who called the cops. I answer, my first time meeting and seeing this chick and tell no and close my door. She stands outside cursing and screaming that she knows it's me. I could have just knocked on her door since she has kids in there and I must be crazy to call because she has kids in the apartment. She then knocks on another door. She then goes and knocks on another neighbor's door asking if they called. Who knocks on people's door to find out who called ? She comes back next door and starts screaming it's me and dares me to call again and she knows it's me since I've only been here three months. She doesn't realize she has new neighbors on top of her( office told me). Completely out of control. I called the sherif again who advised do nothing and ignore her. She's now banged a few times on the joined wall .

The office has been notified and I probably won't be calling for noise complaints again until we transfer this month. This dummy fails to realize that she has neighbors on the other side and on top. Completely oblivious and ignorant. Thoughts? Just a rant. Never dealt with a neighbor knocking on people's door trying to find out who called the cops on them. Out of hand .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:14 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
Never dealt with a neighbor knocking on people's door trying to find out who called the cops on them. Out of hand .
Yeah, I've never dealt with that, either. But I've also never dealt with someone who would choose to call the police without first attempting to have a conversation with the offender.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yeah, I've never dealt with that, either. But I've also never dealt with someone who would choose to call the police without first attempting to have a conversation with the offender.
We are advised to not contact that neighbor, but instead to call security or maintenance when available, which neither was . I called maintenance who was way from the building and told me to call the cops . If he's here , he will knock, but I guess he was out somewhere

Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Even if we could speak with the offender , it would do no good. They've been sent a couple of notices and eviction to cure or quit. They've also had security called on them by other neighbors besides myself. This is not a civilized person. She knows she's being an idiot when she's screaming " if the bass was too loud, you could have knocked " among other things I can't type here. She knows exactly what she's doing.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:44 AM

539 posts, read 566,196 times
You have had the WORST luck with apartments and moving... Sorry things have to be so hard for you. Has everything else settled down other than this crappy neighbor?

Old 03-06-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
You have had the WORST luck with apartments and moving... Sorry things have to be so hard for you. Has everything else settled down other than this crappy neighbor?
I know 😩😩😩why me ? As soon as I can afford to rent a house, I will. Crappy apartments since 2014. Other than that we're fine . Now another change of address with the post office sigh

Old 03-06-2017, 06:15 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Fast forward to this afternoon. Security isn't available until 8 pm, maintenance wasn't available and the bass coming from her side was so strong that the pots on my stove were clattering. So I called the local sheriff. They came quickly, and left. Few minutes later someone knocks on my door like the police. It's this crazy idiot next door wanting to know who called the cops. I answer, my first time meeting and seeing this chick and tell no and close my door. She stands outside cursing and screaming that she knows it's me.
Quote:
I know ������why me ? As soon as I can afford to rent a house, I will. Crappy apartments since 2014. Other than that we're fine . Now another change of address with the post office sigh
You live in apartment where SECURITY is required???

That should have been your first clue, renting in an apartment building that is so dangerous it requires security guards.

Your only reasonable means to deal with noisy neighbors is (1) once, ask them nicely, (2) next time ask the manager to take care of it, and ask them to not mention your name, (3) after that just call 911 if it's after quiet hours (usually 10 pm weekdays, local regulations vary). Most police officers will not divulge who complained, because filling out an after hours noise report is a lot less paperwork than filing a dead body report.

Even in a house I rarely answer my front door. A neighbor would phone me not knock on my door. Friends do not drop in unexpectedly. These days I don't even look to see who is at my front door. (I'm in a house.)

Yes you have the right solution: move to a house (in a neighborhood that doesn't require security guards) = a safe neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:27 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Thumbs up and...

You called the cops... she confronted you...did you tell her you did call the cops and will call them again
if need be?
Koale

Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You live in apartment where SECURITY is required???

That should have been your first clue, renting in an apartment building that is so dangerous it requires security guards.

Your only reasonable means to deal with noisy neighbors is (1) once, ask them nicely, (2) next time ask the manager to take care of it, and ask them to not mention your name, (3) after that just call 911 if it's after quiet hours (usually 10 pm weekdays, local regulations vary). Most police officers will not divulge who complained, because filling out an after hours noise report is a lot less paperwork than filing a dead body report.

Even in a house I rarely answer my front door. A neighbor would phone me not knock on my door. Friends do not drop in unexpectedly. These days I don't even look to see who is at my front door. (I'm in a house.)

Yes you have the right solution: move to a house (in a neighborhood that doesn't require security guards) = a safe neighborhood.
You DO realize that some complexes provide a "courtesy officer" or some sort of security who lives onsite right? It's not always that they need armed guards or anything like you're implying.

And I'm sorry, but I will NEVER confront a neighbor directly. Too many crazies out there who might pull a gun and blow your face off. If you contact the office, they never know who the complaint came from - and most (decent) apartment complexes would rather you contact them instead of handling it yourself anyway. Likely for that same reason.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:14 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
I agree about not having confrontations/altercations with neighbors. That can have long lasting effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting