Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

As a LL I see that as wear and tear. I wouldn't charge for something like that. It's really not within your control and you couldn't do anything about it. Well I guess not using thevsink epuld work but that's ridiculous imo. Unless there is deliberate damage you caused I don't see how it's your fault.
And if I had you as a tenant for 9 years and you never gave me any issues paid on time I wouldn't even bother charging anything. Even if it got chipped by dropping something I wouldn't bother charging. It just wouldn't matter at that point. Replacing a sink isn't that expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 03:46 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As a LL I see that as wear and tear. I wouldn't charge for something like that. It's really not within your control and you couldn't do anything about it. Well I guess not using thevsink epuld work but that's ridiculous imo. Unless there is deliberate damage you caused I don't see how it's your fault.
And if I had you as a tenant for 9 years and you never gave me any issues paid on time I wouldn't even bother charging anything. Even if it got chipped by dropping something I wouldn't bother charging. It just wouldn't matter at that point. Replacing a sink isn't that expensive
I spent 5 years in the industry and my dad has been in it for the last 30. This is so rare he has only seen it twice in his 30 years and I've never seen it. Cultured marble sinks aren't seperate from the countertop, it is one piece that includes the countertop and sink(s). The entire thing has to be replaced, assuming it can't be repaired, so his LL is looking at a replacement cost anywhere between $300-$1,000 depending on size, edge detail, and number of bowls in the top. A bullnose top with two bowls at 60 inches long is about $850 plus the cost of a plumber to hook it back up, I'd do that bit myself but the LL doesn't have to.

The tops produced today are fiberglass and crushed stone poured into molds. They should easily withstand 150 degrees so your water heater is set way too high to begin with, shouldn't be above 120.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:04 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Unless you've been taking pots of boiling water off the stove and immediately pouring them into the sink, I don't think "thermal shock" was the problem. When you turn the hot water on, it takes a bit to warm up and the sink warms up with it.

I have a similar problem with cracks by the drain. I believe it is caused by tightening the drain pipes and pop-up apparatus too tightly.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:10 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyair View Post
I've been renting for 9 years and am moving out soon. I have noticed some hairline cracks that have appeared over the years on the cultured marble sink in the bathroom. Apparently, this is due to thermal shock, when hot water runs over a cold cultured marble sink. Had I known that before, I would have paid more attention not to run hot water in the sink, but instead increasing the temperature gradually. The cracks are only on the surface so it's essentially aesthetic. I'm not sure that there is really something that could be done other than replacing the sink, therefore I don't know if it's better to leave it as it is. I could try to DIY but I don't want to risk making it look worse. Can my landlord charge me for that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cultured marble - you mean like Corian, or one of those?

Cracks in the sink; You mean IN the sink and not the countertop?

I would try to clean it and see if the "cracks" disappear.
It's easy:
Line the sink with paper towels.
Spray the paper towels with Clorox.
Let it sit 20 - 30 minutes, and remove the paper towels.
Most people are amazed.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I spent 5 years in the industry and my dad has been in it for the last 30. This is so rare he has only seen it twice in his 30 years and I've never seen it. Cultured marble sinks aren't seperate from the countertop, it is one piece that includes the countertop and sink(s). The entire thing has to be replaced, assuming it can't be repaired, so his LL is looking at a replacement cost anywhere between $300-$1,000 depending on size, edge detail, and number of bowls in the top. A bullnose top with two bowls at 60 inches long is about $850 plus the cost of a plumber to hook it back up, I'd do that bit myself but the LL doesn't have to.

The tops produced today are fiberglass and crushed stone poured into molds. They should easily withstand 150 degrees so your water heater is set way too high to begin with, shouldn't be above 120.
I had counters replaced that had integrated sinks. The material was a Staron type not cultured marble. Right off the shelf at Home Depot. The most I paid was $400 for a dual sink model. And that came with the vanity cabinet. (They can be ordered in different sizes and configurations.)
Either way the damage isn't the tenants problem. And cultured marble can be refinished if the counter is a big giant expensive piece.
I've had cultured marble in my last house built in 79. I remodeled it in 09. The cultured marble tops and sinks never developed cracks. They were uglier than diarrhea with the yellowish main color and brown swirls. If I never see 70/80s cultured marble it's too soon

Old 03-11-2017, 07:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
If I were you, I wouldn't panic. I would simply do as you normally do when vacating.

You may loose a deposit, but I think it would be hard for a LL to make a case for charging you for this sink after 9 years.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I disagree. This seems like normal wear and tear. Despite I'm a landlord, I would consider this as a normal LL responsibility to take care of it.

I would not charge you as my tenant if I were your landlord. I would consider the cost of repair as normal maintenance.

Otherwise, somebody tell me how tenant CAUSED this.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 18,883 times
Thank you all for your replies, and for reassuring me. It really means a lot to me. During the 9 years that I have been living here, I have never missed a payment, if there was a minor repair, I would always take care of it myself and have it fixed.*I have never bothered my landlord and have always kept the place and appliances tidy and clean. Other than the hairline cracks on the sink, there*is no damage to the counter. I checked*under*the sink*and everything looks in good shape, there are no cracks and no leaks. I called a plumber this afternoon and he said that there was nothing that could be done except to have it replaced if it really bothers the landlord. I'm a little bit worried because I have no idea how*my landlord is*going to react. It's a one piece that includes the countertop and sink so it may be more expensive to have it replaced. When I turn my hot water on in my bathroom sink, it only takes seconds before it gets*really hot, unlike in the kitchen where it takes much longer. It's possible that the water heater is set too high but I live in a condo and I have no control over that unfortunately. I would really like to*stay in good terms with my landlord. On one hand, I would understand if my landlord*gets upset and if she tries to make me pay for something that happened during my tenancy, but on the other hand, I feel so powerless*and feel that it would be unfair if I was charged for*the replacement*cost of the sink*as it's just superficial cracks, although I understand that aesthetics is an important aspect when renting. It really wasn't my intention at all to cause any*damage,*luckily for me, it's*not*a damage that*could affect the safety or functionality of the unit.*I don't know whether it's better to mention it or not?

Old 03-12-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyair View Post
Thank you all for your replies, and for reassuring me. It really means a lot to me. During the 9 years that I have been living here, I have never missed a payment, if there was a minor repair, I would always take care of it myself and have it fixed.*I have never bothered my landlord and have always kept the place and appliances tidy and clean. Other than the hairline cracks on the sink, there*is no damage to the counter. I checked*under*the sink*and everything looks in good shape, there are no cracks and no leaks. I called a plumber this afternoon and he said that there was nothing that could be done except to have it replaced if it really bothers the landlord. I'm a little bit worried because I have no idea how*my landlord is*going to react. It's a one piece that includes the countertop and sink so it may be more expensive to have it replaced. When I turn my hot water on in my bathroom sink, it only takes seconds before it gets*really hot, unlike in the kitchen where it takes much longer. It's possible that the water heater is set too high but I live in a condo and I have no control over that unfortunately. I would really like to*stay in good terms with my landlord. On one hand, I would understand if my landlord*gets upset and if she tries to make me pay for something that happened during my tenancy, but on the other hand, I feel so powerless*and feel that it would be unfair if I was charged for*the replacement*cost of the sink*as it's just superficial cracks, although I understand that aesthetics is an important aspect when renting. It really wasn't my intention at all to cause any*damage,*luckily for me, it's*not*a damage that*could affect the safety or functionality of the unit.*I don't know whether it's better to mention it or not?
I wouldn't even sweat it. If it becomes a issue make sure you take pics. There is no way the damage was caused by you in a intentional manner. If your LL charges you I would go to court. Being on good terms is great but ultimately it's a business transaction. And thecLL has some responsibility. I would love to hear how the LL would defend the wear and tear in court.
Hope it all works out

Old 03-12-2017, 02:23 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
.........Otherwise, somebody tell me how tenant CAUSED this.
not accusing the OP.

Tenant dropped something heavy in the sink. Washing something or soaking something in teh sink that contained solvent. Children standing on the counter tops, possibly jumping. The major cause of dishwasher repairs in rentals is children using the dishwasher door to get up on the counter top, so kids definitely will climb up on counters.

I've had more than one bathroom sink broken and I don't know how the tenant did it because the tenant always insists that it was like that when they moved in.

It doesn't sound like OP caused the cracks, but it is not impossible for a tenant to do so, and I will not try to judge without seeing the actual sink. If the cracks do not go all the way through, it becomes less likely that the tenant caused it.

Veering off topic, it is also common for my bathroom counters in my non-smoking houses to be burned by cigarettes, curling irons, and candles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting