Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,567 times

Advertisements

I have an eviction due to my mother I was only 18 & didn't know what was going on. My mother handled everything. I didn't even know I had the eviction on my record until I applied for a place on my own & got denied because of this & I paid my mother rent on time on the 1st of the month every month & now I cannot even get into my own place. I don't know what to do I have 2 small children now & cant even rent my own place. Only if someone would give me a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 03:36 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eanastas View Post
I don't know what to do I have 2 small children now & cant even rent my own place.
Only if someone would give me a chance.
No landlord who checks backgrounds will accept am eviction.
There's just no reason to.

That leaves the inept trusting sort of landlords...
but even they aren't likely to do on the basis of "giving you a chance"

They just won't know any better.
So don't tell them about the eviction.

The only other option is to SHARE with someone.
Maybe another young mother that you can trade off child care with too.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:25 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Just a little hint to help you out. If you tell a landlord that he should give you a chance because you have two kids, all you are going to do is to irritate him and get yourself rejected.

You have two small children, an eviction at the age of 18 must have been several years ago. Explain what happened and maybe offer additional deposit.

If you have good landlord references and sufficient income, no criminal record, and your credit is good except for the eviction, you should be able to find something to rent. Probably not anything fancy, but you can live in a less nice apartment for a couple of years to earn yourself a good landlord reference that will help you in the future.

If you think I am kidding about that first paragraph, I am not. Any applicant who says the words "I got kids!!!!" to me is an automatic rejection. I am not responsible for their kids, I don't like drama, and having children is not a free ticket to special privileges. I happily accept families with children, but only families that are fully prepared to take 100% of the responsibility for their own kids. I know a lot of landlords who feel the same away about it as I do,

Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Have you tried your local social service agencies, or community action agencies, or HUD. Sometimes they help families with first rent and deposits on rentals, and if you qualify they may be able to assist you. I think if you explain your situation a case manager there might have some suggestions or resources to help you.

Here is a link to 211 call this number from your local area code, cell or land line and a 24/7 volunteer can assist you with which agencies you might call and provide you with the contact information. Good luck to you.

2-1-1.org

Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM

35 posts, read 28,059 times
I'm a landlord and do not rent to people with an eviction record, no matter how long ago it was. I've had people give me a sob story and beg, it doesn't help. Your situation is unfortunate. That said, I have no solution for you. I'd have to be really hard up for tenants then I may overlook an eviction at a young age, that was many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting