Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times

Advertisements

I'd talk to a real estate atty. Also, did you try getting in touch with her family? Not meaning to sound overly-dramatic but could be she was in an accident or crime victim........you shouldn't have to track her down but the situation sounds strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomntom View Post
Ok here is my full story. I was purchasing a duplex and I put in a clause in my contract stating that the contract is contingent upon the seller's agent (who is also the seller) was able to find me a credit tenant renting one unit for 1 year. The seller sent me a scanned Zumper application of this renter with contact information, occupation information and assured me that she has checked on the tenant' background, tax returns and said that the tenant has very good repayment history and background. My loan process was a nightmare due to my lender so I was preoccupied with that and took her words for it.

Fast forward to today when I have not heard back from the tenant. I performed my own research on the tenant and found out that she’s a con artist who has been arrested several times for check/credit card fraud, larceny, credit card theft, embezzlement, etc. She moved out of her past address not because her lease expired according to her application but because she got evicted in January.

I believe that Zumper and Experian (who Zumper uses) have the capability to pull these information on the tenant as they are public information readily available online, and that they have the tenant's SSN. And I believe that the seller withheld these information from me. Both my agent and I have been trying to contact her repeatedly but she doesn't pick up the phone nor return our messages.

I am now partially relieved that she hasn't moved in. I have took photos of the unit being vacant and obtained record from the electricity and gas company confirming that she never signed up for the service. I don't know what's the process for DC when it comes to lease abandonment since this is not really an eviction. Under my lease, I quote "or if the premises are vacated or abandoned, Landlord shall be entitled to avail himself of all rights and remedies to which he may be entitled, either by law or in equity (including but not limited to, the right to terminate this lease and recover possession)". Hopefully this clause would be sufficient to terminate the lease.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate everyone for your comments.
Wow! Given all that, I would say you are a shoe in for a lawsuit against the seller. You are out any legal fees you have to pay to terminate the signed lease. You are also out any lost rent for the time it takes you to find a new tenant.

But beyond that, don't be "partially relieved"...you should thank your lucky stars that you never gave her keys. Hopefully either your application or your lease say somewhere that deliberate falsification of information is grounds for voiding the lease.

But you definitely need to consult a real estate/rental attorney both regarding the right way to terminate the signed lease AND regarding the situation on the purchase.

Oh, and I don't know anything about Zumper, but Experian does not have the means to obtain the information you've listed. They do credit only. That's who we use, and I've been asking for years now when they are going to allow background checks. They keep telling me it is in the works, but not available yet.

If the seller/agent won't call you back, the next step is to contact their broker. Any transaction ultimately is the managing broker's responsibility, so if there is a problem that you can't get resolved, an escalation to the broker is the next step. I'd have your agent do that.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM

35 posts, read 28,084 times
If she hasn't moved in by the move in date. Find another tenant as she/he is in breach of the lease already. I'd keep the deposit in your account and if they haven't responded within 30 days, spend it.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:35 PM

586 posts, read 554,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomntom View Post
I am now partially relieved that she hasn't moved in.
Are you kidding? Dude, you dodged a bullet.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
You could sue her for the full term of the lease.
how does this actually play out in court, in real life and not in land lords minds where they are barrons and lords and the tenants are their little peasants.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiered7 View Post
If she hasn't moved in by the move in date. Find another tenant as she/he is in breach of the lease already. I'd keep the deposit in your account and if they haven't responded within 30 days, spend it.
Do people actually put deposits down before they move in? A fool and their gold are soon parted.

I would not give a dime to a land lord until I was moving in. If an area is so saturated that land lords can get away with murder then I would live else where.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Do people actually put deposits down before they move in? A fool and their gold are soon parted.

I would not give a dime to a land lord until I was moving in. If an area is so saturated that land lords can get away with murder then I would live else where.
Practically speaking, why should a landlord hold a place off the market on nothing but a handshake?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

In my area landlords won't even hold an apartment for you unless you sign a lease and leave a deposit.

A fool and his gold are going to look silly living in a car.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
In my area landlords won't even hold an apartment for you unless you sign a lease and leave a deposit.

A fool and his gold are going to look silly living in a car.
Not that silly, better to spend a few nights in a car than getting royally fleeced. If a market is in the landlords favor to such an extent that there are people lined up behind you for the unit you need to reevaalute how bad you want to be in that area and how good the job really is to tolerate the inevitable future drama that results from an askew supply and demand leverage.

If a land lord knows they have 5 people lined up they behave a certain way, if they know that their unit will sit empty for 3 months they will behave another way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting