Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 PM

9,712 posts, read 7,537,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_beans View Post
Is KaraG is going back and bolding things? Yes, duh, I know they technically have the right to do this. But, just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean you should. From a business perspective too, it doesn't help LLs to ignore their tenants, especially when they have advertised their property as being tranquil and quiet.

I am glad that there are others with a little more decency. I shouldn't be shocked given the political environment of today, but some of you are just selfish. Also, KaraG, I'd really like to know what you would do in this situation. Let's say you had a young special needs child with Autism who spends hours in a state of meltdown if they have to be around a loud noise like a leaf blower, even if only for a short period of time (I actually know kids like this). Let's say you had selected this housing because they advertised it as quiet and were told these noises would be a once a week issue. You had adapted your schedule to deal with noise once a week, but now they changed it to daily. Do you just you deal with your kid in a state of meltdown for hours, everyday (which could bother the neighbors too)? Would you take your kid out every morning, even though that tends to overstimulate him too and keeps you away from doing your at home job? Would you just leave and suck up the lease break fees, even if that puts a lot of strain on you financially? Or would you ask if there can be some sort of modification? Assume in this scenario that you are just a typical working class family without a lot of extra wiggle room in the budget.

At this point, this is starting to make me angry not just for my lack of sleep, but for others who are sick, disabled, or otherwise need quiet but have to put up with people who don't care.
No, I did not go back and bold it, I bolded that phrase in my reply because that was the part that was important, that they are technically allowed to use leaf blowers.

I'm not trying to make you angry, just trying to use common sense. Of course you can talk to the landlord about your issue and maybe they will change something, but in reality, you don't have the power to change anything they do, that's all I'm saying. But maybe you'll be successful.

I'm sorry they told you the noise would be a once a week issue.

As for me, I wouldn't bring it up. I really don't know how you can control outside noise in the daytime work hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 AM

179 posts, read 154,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Yeah I used to live in a large apartment building. No joke, they had one person on staff who spent most of their day circling the property blowing the leaves around. Never collected or removed them, which meant the leaves just blowed back onto the lawn the next day, and he did it all over again, day after day.
That's so funny! See, if the gentleman picked up the leaves and threw them away he'd be out of a job. Can't have that! Anyways he was told to blow leaves, that's it. That's what he does, he blows leaves, over and over. No matter that it is the same leaf. I see people cutting grass the same way. Running over the same spot, over and over. I think these people are just literally brain dead.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 AM

179 posts, read 154,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
why should someone change their whole life around, get a different job, move, etc...just because some ******* is too oblivious and inconsiderate to think it's fine to use an unnecessary, useless, noisy equipment every. single. morning. this is what's wrong with this society. not questioning if there is even a valid point or reason for doing something in the first place, which disturbs others, and the mentality that, "if it bothers you, move". it's always the other person that has to deal with it and change their lifestyle, not the person who is doing the offensive (and useless) behavior in the first place.
Exactly. And where are you going to move to? There is always a jerk everywhere you go. But you can't call a jerk a jerk because they have a right to be a jerk. INSTEAD MOVE! I always tell people "why do I have to dumb myself down to your level, but you can never smart yourself up to my level?" I guess society defaults to crap. That's why we haven't been back to the moon (if we ever went there in the first place).

Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM

32,480 posts, read 47,415,214 times
I don't like the noise of leaf blowers, so I have some sympathy.

However, it is legal to maintain the grounds and the landlord has no obligation of any kind to adjust his schedule to accommodate late sleepers or people with odd work shifts.

OP, you can make a request that the landlord do the leaf blowing later in the day. He doesn't have to do it and probably won't do it. He has hos own schedule that he has to live by.

I suggest that you pay your lease break fee and move to a building that has no landscaping at all. I see those in the middle of town, nothing but concrete all around them. Then you can write to the city and request that they not start toad repairs until after noon since you must sleep in.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:40 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,507,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
That's so funny! See, if the gentleman picked up the leaves and threw them away he'd be out of a job. Can't have that! Anyways he was told to blow leaves, that's it. That's what he does, he blows leaves, over and over. No matter that it is the same leaf. I see people cutting grass the same way. Running over the same spot, over and over. I think these people are just literally brain dead.
lol, so true. so many useless jobs, that people try to extend the useless work, to get paid.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,507,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Exactly. And where are you going to move to? There is always a jerk everywhere you go. But you can't call a jerk a jerk because they have a right to be a jerk. INSTEAD MOVE! I always tell people "why do I have to dumb myself down to your level, but you can never smart yourself up to my level?" I guess society defaults to crap. That's why we haven't been back to the moon (if we ever went there in the first place).
yes...it's more about finding the lesser evil, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting