Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Lots of people make planting grass seed more complicated than it needs to be. Loosen the top of the soil and add fertilizer if you want, scatter grass seed, and keep it wet until it fills in.... takes about 5 days until it germinates.
Maybe that's how it works in WA, but in Fl grass seed is useless..we lay sod, not seed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Nothing good comes from giving a reason, it just invites a dispute over the reason. I.e. "The lawn isn't that bad". Why waste time arguing over it? It's your lawn & you're entitled to boot them for any reason, or no reason at all.
Unless you live in an area with Just Cause Eviction which means you MUST give a reason and only reasons from the codified list qualify...

Coming to a town near you?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:52 PM

19 posts, read 32,963 times
So here's an update. I ended up telling tenant reason for non renewal. She is leaving end of April. She responded via email

"The condition of backyard is partially due to severe drought in area 8 inches negative this year. Yes. the front yard does look better than backyard, because no one walks on front lawn. The lawn was discussed during walk though you brought it up stated now that you had roof fixed you wanted to work on 1. the lawn (Too much sand, poor state of grass and no sprinkler system)"

This is obvious lie. During walk through I only said I wanted to replace sprinker system eventually- I had no idea the lawn was messed up because walk through was in dark. I became aware later when I went to fix home.

" in regards to electrical. the ground wire was connected (that was the problem) you allowed us do do the same when connection 2 ceiling fans."

They had asked if they could replace fan and I said yes. That is not the same as them having their brother in law fix eletrical problem without even notifying me it was an issue.

"You also told us during walk through that you would be providing us a check for $300.00 for repairs we had completed during our rental."

I never said this. I had emailed them that I was raising rent next lease and they would need to cover pool service. Tenant had asked me in email if I could do either raise rent or make them pay for pool. I responded in email that I would talk to them at walk through. And during walk through I said I would cover pool services for next lease by giving break on rent- for their supossed repairs. However that was before I saw lawn. And there is no proof that they ever repaired anything. They showed me no receipts and never even notified me there was a problem- until I emailed them to let them know I was raising rent for new lease.

"We will be out by April 30th. Forward rental deposit 1500$ and 300$ unit repairs to ..."

I will not be paying them 300$ for repairs and I'm sure they will not be getting 1500$ full deposit back.
I am planning on figuring out damages cost once the leave. This tenant is very dishonest- I have a feeling we will be going to small claims court. She took no responsibility for lawn damage.
Any advice?

Old 04-14-2017, 06:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carline88 View Post
Any advice?
Don't engage verbally without a follow up "as per our chat yesterday..." letter.

At face, it seems your tenant is much better at their end that you have been at yours.
The net result being a "he said vs she said"

Focus on regaining possession. April is almost over.
Don't do or say anything that prolongs them remaining in place.

Once they're out THEN you can play your cards.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't engage verbally without a follow up "as per our chat yesterday..." letter.

At face, it seems your tenant is much better at their end that you have been at yours.
The net result being a "he said vs she said"

Focus on regaining possession. April is almost over.
Don't do or say anything that prolongs them remaining in place.

Once they're out THEN you can play your cards.
I have only had written correspondence - via email. All the tenant writes about is verbal. And she lied in her email about what I had said.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carline88 View Post
And she lied in her email about what I had said.
Then she's an idiot.
Regardless... keep your eye on the ball: focus on possession.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:41 PM

This is what i 1st emailed her,
"It looks as though the condition of the backyard was more than just weather related. From what I could tell, it looks like the dog was digging holes in the backyard/ wearing out grass in backyard. I didn't notice the same wear and tear in the front of the yard as there is in the back- and the back is more shaded from the sun than the front. The day I came to pay the AC person, I was in/out and didn't even notice the backyard- since I just looked at pump and left. Given the large spaces of sand in multiple areas- likely new grass will need to be either planted or re-sodded. We placed down flora tam grass pallets about 7 years ago. Prior to laying grass, my husband rented out machinery and placed more sand in the back of the yard to make it level ground. When there is no grass in the backyard the sand erodes away more quickly with rain. This home has been a rental for almost 6 years and the backyard grass has never looked that bad- even without sprinklers. Since you were aware it was an issue, enough that you intended on speaking to your lawn person about it- then you should have discussed it with me, especially because walk throughs are times when tenants and landlords discuss issues with rentals.

You did ask me about how to shut off the water, but didn't mention what repairs you were doing. A landlord should be notified speedily if there are issues in the rental home especially if they are more than just minor issue such as replacing replacing handle of screen door, or replacing innards of toilet bowl. Electrical repairs are major issues- which if not completely repaired can lead to more serious issues for you and for the rental home. Electrical issued are landlord responsibility- and should be up to the landlord to choose who repairs them. "

Her reply this email was posted in my update #53.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:16 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Sounds like the tenant is setting the landlord up for a 'bad faith' claim. Although 'bad faith' isn't that easy for a tenant to prove against an innocent landlord, it becomes much easy the more they can bait the landlord into conversations.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Sounds like the tenant is setting the landlord up for a 'bad faith' claim. Although 'bad faith' isn't that easy for a tenant to prove against an innocent landlord, it becomes much easy the more they can bait the landlord into conversations.
I was thinkin she is trying to set me up to go to small claims court over the deposit. The grass is obviously destroyed- she stated that in an earlier email. And the yard is her responsibility , so she is liable for the damage. She has no proof for What she claimed I said and she wasn't even honest about what was said. I have everything documented so I don't think she will be successful.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:49 AM

I was able to post before and after photos on this website
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums...age=1#p2666736
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting