Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times

Advertisements

What's an offer letter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 03:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye5b View Post
And there are plenty of other places that don't require an offer letter, so I don't have to rent from you and I will go somewhere else!

My thought is if your not flexible at the beginning then you won't be flexible when it comes to doing stuff to my own apt. Been there done that, those are the type of landlords you DON'T want. But when you need something fixed they take their time to fix stuff.

So go ahead and rent from a landlord that doesn't vet their applicants..it's no skin off my neck. There's plenty of qualified applicants out there so landlords can and should choose to be picky about who they rent to.

If you can't be flexible and produce the required documents, how do I do know you're going to produce a check on the first of every month?? I don't; so I won't bother taking a chance.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The apartment complex likely thinks that you are starting a new job. I see you are moving 2000 miles away per other posts on C-D. If the complex knows you are moving that far away, they likely think that you are getting a new job, because many people that move that far do this for a new job. That's why they asked for an offer letter, because they incorrectly assumed that you were getting a new job.

All you have to do is communicate with the complex and tell them that you don't have an offer letter BECAUSE it's not a new job and you are already working and you have pay stubs. Then you stay silent and wait for an answer.

They'll likely say "ok".

Good luck to you.
Or they do what I said..give you an Employment Verification form that your HR dept fills out. Not really sure why this is such a big deal.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:30 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Or they do what I said..give you an Employment Verification form that your HR dept fills out. Not really sure why this is such a big deal.
After reading OP's other thread about apartment searches, it appears that OP is going to move and will not be keeping the same job. There are some references about finding a new job at the new location.

Possibly OP is trying to trick the apartment complex into thinking they will keep the same job that they are working in the old location, by giving the old pay stubs. Not 100% sure if this is the case, but the OP has mentioned job searching in the new location too.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:08 PM

224 posts, read 297,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
After reading OP's other thread about apartment searches, it appears that OP is going to move and will not be keeping the same job. There are some references about finding a new job at the new location.

Possibly OP is trying to trick the apartment complex into thinking they will keep the same job that they are working in the old location, by giving the old pay stubs. Not 100% sure if this is the case, but the OP has mentioned job searching in the new location too.
As of right now I am not sure if I am going to be able to transfer or not, so I want to keep all possibilities open, there is a possibility of a transfer.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
As of right now I am not sure if I am going to be able to transfer or not, so I want to keep all possibilities open, there is a possibility of a transfer.
And if you don't get a transfer, do you have another job lined up where you are moving to? The apartment just wants to know that you will have the funds to continue paying rent. A paystub from a job that you might not even have after moving is not going to be proof of income.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And if you don't get a transfer, do you have another job lined up where you are moving to? The apartment just wants to know that you will have the funds to continue paying rent. A paystub from a job that you might not even have after moving is not going to be proof of income.
Funny my current pay stubs and bank statements always seem like they are enough for most apt complexes.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Funny my current pay stubs and bank statements always seem like they are enough for most apt complexes.
But are those apartment complexes 2,000 miles from where your pay stub says you work? If so, what type of complexe were you living at that didn't have an income requirement? And no, pay stubs for a job you might not have in the new location don't meet most places income requirement. Neither would having 4 months of savings.

My SO and I moved from CA to NC 10 years ago. We were not able to use are pay stubs as proof of income, since our CA jobs would no longer be out source of income. My SO was transfering with his job and so he had to show proof of the transfer. Even then, they still wanted a cosigner in case the transfer didn't work out. Then a few years ago we moved again. This time I was transferring with my job, so the LL wanted proof of the job transfer. We've had it happen each time we moved to a new state, so I can't believe it is uncommon.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:25 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
......... you won't be flexible when it comes to doing stuff to my own apt. .........
'

You are absolutely correct. I do not want you doing stuff to your own apartment because it is not your apartment, it is my apartment and I don't allow tenants to make changes to "their" apartment. You take it with the paint and flooring like it is and don't change it. No removing walls, no putting in skylights, no painting the toilet metallic gold. What you see is what you get and you'd better return it to me the same way as it was when you got it.

But then, I am not flexible about accepting old pay stubs from an ex-job 2,000 miles away, either.

So save your application fee and go and apply elsewhere. We will both be happier.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But are those apartment complexes 2,000 miles from where your pay stub says you work? If so, what type of complexe were you living at that didn't have an income requirement? And no, pay stubs for a job you might not have in the new location don't meet most places income requirement. Neither would having 4 months of savings.

My SO and I moved from CA to NC 10 years ago. We were not able to use are pay stubs as proof of income, since our CA jobs would no longer be out source of income. My SO was transfering with his job and so he had to show proof of the transfer. Even then, they still wanted a cosigner in case the transfer didn't work out. Then a few years ago we moved again. This time I was transferring with my job, so the LL wanted proof of the job transfer. We've had it happen each time we moved to a new state, so I can't believe it is uncommon.
Nope, maybe it is bc I always show a healthy bank statement with my move. I've already moved over 2k miles away and I didn't need half of documentation, that I need now. I've moved across state lines so many times its not funny, never needed a job offer letter.

Maybe that's why landlords who require those things ALWAYS have empty apts available and are ALWAYS running specials to get people to come in. Which everyone and their brother knows why they are having specials bc they can't fill the units, why else would they be running specials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting