Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 01:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,070 times

Advertisements

We moved into a Worcester, MA apartment in November. On March 3rd there was a live auction outside of our apartment house. It was sold to the bank. We had gone through a Property management company with very bad reviews (didn't find out until later). They did not make us aware of the forclosure at all, nor had we ever had contact with the actual property owner, ever. We weren't given any notice about the forclosure at all. We stopped paying rent to the property management company A man showed up from a mortgage company and advised us to stop paying rent. We still have no idea what bank owns this home or who to pay rent to if we even wanted to.

We decided that we want to move out of state. About 35 minutes from here. We have been looking at apartments and we think we found one we love so much more in a much safer location. We feel that this forclosure is a blessing in disguise.

Question 1: If we move out, are we still bound to the lease that we signed with the previous property management company that has nothing to do with this home now whatsoever? They no longer answer maitenence calls, nor have they asked for any further money.

Question 2: If we leave here, what do we do with our keys? There is nobody on the 3rd floor anymore. Their apartment is locked and unoccupied.

Question 3: If we do leave and move somewhere else, could the bank try to contact us and force us to pay money according to the previous lease if they find it?

Question 4: When we do leave, who do we tell? If anyone?

Question 5: Could we end up on an eviction list if we up and leave before the bank tries to contact us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,070 times
Anyone?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
You need an attorney.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:21 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
I'd first find out who owns it now. Info should be available at the county corthouse, Recorder of Deeds office or something similar. Then contact that bank and see what they've got to say. Even if you aren't paying rent anywhere right now, I'd just tuck it away because the day of reckoning will probably come.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 AM

400 posts, read 573,371 times
I'd agree. At some point, someone is going to figure out that they have tenants and need the lease money. I'd be stashing the money as well, because that day will probably come.

I can't speak for bankruptcies, but leases continue on in the case of a sale. I'd expect they would in a bankruptcy too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting