Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
No, it was none of your business. Did it affect you? Yes. That doesn't equate to being any of your business. Perhaps you should look into becoming a landlord since you seem to understand it so well.

Since I was displaced by the foreclosure, what financial recourse should I have had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 02:56 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
none . renting has risks too just like ownership . the risks you take on as a renter so you can ride other peoples success and money while they take the risk and tie up their money in an ill-liquid investment so you have a place to live , is that you can be effected by some of the things that effect their money .

if you try to ride their coat tails so you have a place to live because you do not have enough money of your own or choose not to use your own , you can find yourself in a place you were dragged to that you don't want to be involved in , like foreclosure hassles .

i know you like the philosophical discussions .

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-05-2017 at 03:08 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since I was displaced by the foreclosure, what financial recourse should I have had?
None.

You were a tenant...that's it..nothing more, nothing less. You were maybe due a proper notice to vacate and that's it.....and if you didn't get it, then what?

You live where and how you are by choice...stop blaming everyone else for your misfortunes, shortcomings and financial issues.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:36 AM

749 posts, read 734,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Who says I dont own a house?
Do you own your own house?

Are you a landlord?

Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 AM

749 posts, read 734,864 times
Quote:
I strike when the iron is hot, not when everyone is run up the prices on each other. I will eventually buy (or build) and I will do it at the seller/land lords expense. I look for forclosures and distressed properties, I had one forclosure I found and contacted the lawyer and the family pulled together and got it out of forclosure and the put a 100k price tag on an arce of property, I laughed and said good luck. It was a private airport property and I would have paid 40k cash to a bank for it in back taxes (or what ever liens) but im not going to enrich someone elses family.

If more people were like me it would keep sellers honest.
So landlords are dishonest, and sellers are dishonest, but you are neither. Chip, meet thine shoulder...

Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
That's how it works when you rent.

Go buy your own home/condo/townhouse and rule your own kingdom, or get over the fact (and take your friends with you) who think LLs OWE their renters anything other than what they signed a contract to live by.

Normal wear and tear is not intentional.

And there are some very GOOD landlords.

That's exactly what I plan to do when my lease is up. Do you know that the closet rod in my bedroom fell down and the management company accused me of putting too much on the rod. However when the repair guy came, he said it had not been installed correctly. Ditto for my dishwasher which wasn't cleaning the dishes. They people that put the latest one in (used and cheap) connected the d/w hooked it up to the cold water instead of the hot water. Loads of mold behind it when it was replaced.

I don't live in the ghetto. I live in a beautiful, expensive area and pay a lot for rent. I shouldn't have to deal with second rate appliances, low end faucets, the cheapest carpet available, etc. Yes, I know a landlord expects a profit but they shouldn't try and gouge people either. Maybe if they put in quality appliances, faucets, etc. they wouldn't have to replace them every few years.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:08 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Well, none, it's life. It's the risk of being a renter. Sounds like you had months of advance warning before he passed.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:53 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well, none, it's life. It's the risk of being a renter. Sounds like you had months of advance warning before he passed.
Its the risk of having a **** poor state govt that does not do its job.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:16 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Its the risk of having a **** poor state govt that does not do its job.

What is "it's" job?

Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Here is how I handle tenant repair requests:

1.) Tenant says there is a problem.

2.) I discuss it with them until I fully understand what needs fixing.

3.) I select a contractor, handyman, whatever.

4.) I provide both tenant and contractor with contact info and ask each to contact the other and arrange a mutually agreeable appointment.

5.) Depending on situation I request contractor inform me of cost of repairs if not quotable over phone. In this case I reserve the right to accept the estimate or seek a different contractor. (This has never happened. I've always accepted the bid.)

6.) I authorize the contractor to perform the work at a time mutually agreeable to contractor and tenant. Often this is on the spot after approved via phone.

7.) Contractor does the work and submits an invoice.

8.) I contact tenant and ask if they are satisfied with the work.

9.) If tenant is satisfied I mail payment check to contractor, and I'm done.

I've been through this countless times. It's part of your work load as a landlord.

Under NO circumstances do I permit tenants to perform their own repairs. It's prohibited in our lease contract.
This is pretty much how I do it too. Fortunately my tenants have a live-in housekeeper, which helps a lot with scheduling.

It is unreasonable to expect the landlord's physical presence as some type of general contractor. The tenant has obligations of care in the lease as well, and for something damaged/ broken during their tenancy, I expect them to be involved while whatever they broke gets fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting