Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 08:58 AM

586 posts, read 554,726 times

Advertisements

How many of you would take the time to publish something on social media/Yelp/Apartments.com, etc about an apartment or rental that you lived in that didn't go well?

Do you look at this as mere bitching, or do you feel like it's your civic duty to warn someone else against making the same mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
How many of you would take the time to publish something on social media/Yelp/Apartments.com, etc about an apartment or rental that you lived in that didn't go well?

Do you look at this as mere bitching, or do you feel like it's your civic duty to warn someone else against making the same mistake?
Ha. I wish I read reviews on yelp and google about my current landlord/property management company before moving in. I've dug up quite a bit of information I wish I knew about beforehand. I found out that my landlord/PM has taken deposits from nearly every tenant and thus the tenants go to court to sue, and win! I did a bit more digging and found that my LL/PM is labeled a slumlord and loses just about every time in court due to them taking, illegally, tenants security deposits. I know what to expect. I took pictures of the property and have back-and-forth emails from the LL of promises to repair blinds, leaks and other stuff that the LL later refuses to repair. So many promises before signing the lease turned empty afterwards.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I did it, and attached pictures. After I wrote mine, several other people did the same.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I haven't lived in a rental for a long time but if online reviews had existed when I did, I would have written one. However, I only ever lived in one large complex where there would have been reviews. All my other rentals were from individual landlords. In my case, it would have been a very positive review as I found the landlord/management company very helpful and responsive whenever I had a problem and they took good care of the property. But it's irrelevant now, as it's gone through a condo conversion.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I haven't lived in a rental for a long time but if online reviews had existed when I did, I would have written one. However, I only ever lived in one large complex where there would have been reviews. All my other rentals were from individual landlords. In my case, it would have been a very positive review as I found the landlord/management company very helpful and responsive whenever I had a problem and they took good care of the property. But it's irrelevant now, as it's gone through a condo conversion.
I had a similar situation. The first house I rented was from a landlord using a PM. Things kept breaking and the PM ignored the issues. I decided to look up who owned the house and made contact with him. After explaining to him that the PM was neglecting the property, we started bypassing them and I delt with the landlord. He was a very fair person. I had lived there nearly 4 years. He installed a brand new a/c unit to replace the swamp cooler that regularly broke down and even lowered our rent once. He was a fantastic landlord and I would have left him with a very positive review if I could.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:38 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I had a similar situation. The first house I rented was from a landlord using a PM. Things kept breaking and the PM ignored the issues. I decided to look up who owned the house and made contact with him. After explaining to him that the PM was neglecting the property, we started bypassing them and I delt with the landlord. He was a very fair person. I had lived there nearly 4 years. He installed a brand new a/c unit to replace the swamp cooler that regularly broke down and even lowered our rent once. He was a fantastic landlord and I would have left him with a very positive review if I could.
Nice!

In my case, these were mostly triple deckers in the Boston area (3 stories, with one apartment on each floor) and the landlord usually lived in one of the units. No management company needed! lol!

Old 03-28-2017, 01:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
I did that on yelp when on moving out I was given a $$$ carpet replacement bill on an already worn out apt. I was furious but had not option but to pay. I requested move out inspection. They didn't do it in my presence but once I left they handed me the bill. There didn't take any deposit from me so there was nothing to deduct.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:41 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
You will always find more negative comments than positive for anything on the internet because people will be much more vocal when they feel they have been wronged than if they were happy. You must read between the lines with some complaints. I would seriously be influenced by a review about the condition of the apartment vs "They didn't let me waive 10 late fees" type of grumblings.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
I have seen that atleast in the city I live in finding an apartment complex without negative reviews is virtually impossible. Good places have a wait time and there are so many people trying to find a place to stay, it doesn't really matter what the internet says

Old 03-28-2017, 02:22 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I suppose that if something really was terrible, then go ahead and post.

So many of the complaints are about deposit deductions for actual damage, or evictions for non payment, where the "victim" insisted it wasn't their fault, that most of it sounds like whining.

But if it was something really bad, like air conditioning out all summer (it can take a couple of weeks to fix, but 3 months is too long) or pedophiles living in several of the units, or drug dealing that wasn't stopped, then go ahead and complain and warn others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting