Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 4,939 times

Advertisements

Man i don't know what to do but thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 02:41 PM

I got all my utility under my name on this address.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:05 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Exactly what day did he tell you to move out? You can't have 30 days. You might be able to have 15 days, but from the date of notice, not from today.

Your landlord is willing to let you stay for a week rent-free if you will get out in 7 days instead of 15. Take that under consideration.

Again, what day did he tell you that you have to move out?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
He has the cable bill and the electric bill in his name with the rental address.
He who?

I still have the feeling that without any written agreement and with all rent paid in cash with no receipts the OP will have difficulty proving anything if it comes to an eviction. (Unless he gets 30 days or whatever applies in his state, city, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Again, what day did he tell you that you have to move out?
OP said somebody else was willing to pay more.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:19 PM

472 posts, read 473,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
He who?

I still have the feeling that without any written agreement and with all rent paid in cash with no receipts the OP will have difficulty proving anything if it comes to an eviction. (Unless he gets 30 days or whatever applies in his state, city, etc.)

OP said somebody else was willing to pay more.
Your reading comprehension skills are at 0 today. I'd take a break and try again tomorrow

Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
the OP will have difficulty proving anything if...
Proving is a question for the Judge if it comes to that.

The thread question is whether a legal tenancy can exist without anything being written.
It can and the LL has the same responsibilities as any other LL under that State law.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:43 PM

749 posts, read 734,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
He has the cable bill and the electric bill in his name with the rental address.
True. But that does not prove that he was a paying tenant.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:45 PM

749 posts, read 734,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdongo View Post
I got all my utility under my name on this address.
In an ideal world that would work perfectly fine. And I hope it would.

But with no lease, and with no "paper trail" proving that you paid rent, you could be out.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
...and with no "paper trail" proving that you paid rent, you could be out.
He has a "paper trail" but even without that..
he is still subject to the 30 day (15 day?) notice any other tenant gets.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:06 PM

Yeah i just asked a lawyer got a response.

(A verbal agreement IS a lease. If you pay rent monthly then you have a month-to-month lease.

Your landlord can not just kick you out. He has to properly terminate the lease, which requires giving you written notice. Texts, phone calls and emails are not sufficient.

A landlord can terminate a lease for non-payment of rent ONLY after delivering a notice to the property giving you three (3) business days to pay the arrears. So, make sure to have a witness with you when you try to pay the landlord.

A landlord can terminate a month-to-month lease by giving no less than 15 days' written notice prior to the end of the monthly rent term. So, if your rent was due today, the notice should have been given to you no later than March 18, 2017. If the rent was due on the 1st, then no later than March 17, 2017.

Either way, the landlord must get a court order. It is entirely possible that the landlord will claim to have given you the 15-day notice when he files his eviction action, so keep your eyes open. And try to pay your rent, again, with a witness. Who knows, the landlord may say something that you can then use to defend an eviction action.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting