Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:13 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times

Advertisements

If you and your spouse are still in Houston you are well over the income level to qualify for section 8.
FAQs - Houston Housing Authority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 05:19 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I just got a new job that pays $40k, my spouse earns $30. Will we lose out low-income housing if our income is $70,000?

What is the maximum income 2 adults can earn in order to keep low-income housing?

Thank you,

There's no nice to say this, so I'll just say it: I hope you lose your sec 8 and I hope you learn how to manage your money and live within your means. 70k is not a lot of money, but you can support yourself and your family on it.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Together, you make way more than me and my family, and I would never have even considered us to be eligible for low income housing. FWIW, we're a family of 5 living in a pricey area in Seattle. Congratulations on your new job! You need to get off that low-income-housing-train. You've had a good ride; time to let someone more deserving of it have a turn. I wouldn't be surprised to discover you didn't qualify when your spouse was making $30k for just the two of you.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,393 times
I can understand your fear. If the job doesn't work out, you may have risked your housing.

Say nothing. Start your job and ensure you like it before notifying the powers that be.

And before that, make sure you've looked to find housing.

Within a few yrs, if you still want cheap housing, buy in a rural area and build a home illegally.

Or buy a home and convert part of the home into another tiny studio apartment and rent that out

Congratulations on your new job You did good!

Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 PM

101 posts, read 176,429 times
I live in the Bay area. 2 bedroom apartment is +$2200/month.

If you think that I am more fortunate than you then just move to the Bay area and you will know how wealthy you are with $70,000/year - taxes - $26400(rent).

Old 04-06-2017, 12:12 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:

If you think that I am more fortunate than you then just move to the Bay area and you will know how wealthy you are with $70,000/year - taxes - $26400(rent).
Not sure what county you are in, but for Santa Clara County, the max income for 2 people is $63,400.

Income Limits - Waiting Lists Applicants | Housing Authority of the County of Santa Clara

There are different types of things that the housing authority can deduct from your income, too. For instance medical costs. And I'm not sure if the income is before or after taxes, either.

I think you should go talk to your housing authority rep, and ask them if the max is before or after taxes and what types of deductions you are allowed, etc. I just learned from someone here on CA that you can get deductions for service dogs as medical expenses, too, for the costs associated with the service dog, for instance.

I have a Section 8/HUD voucher now, too. It's security. You don't want to take a chance on losing it, because it's too hard to get again. So, just go find out from your rep if you will still be within the max after whatever deductions you are allowed. I bet you will still qualify, you'll just have to pay higher rent.

If you need to find out what the max is for a different county, just Google: "the county name & housing authority Section 8 HUD voucher income limits" or just call them up.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Quote:
That's what I pay for rent-- $2250/month.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:30 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I can understand your fear. If the job doesn't work out, you may have risked your housing.

Say nothing. Start your job and ensure you like it before notifying the powers that be.

Within a few yrs, if you still want cheap housing, buy in a rural area and build a home illegally.

Or buy a home and convert part of the home into another tiny studio apartment and rent that out

Your advise is illegal. Section 8 requires tenants to report any changes in income immediately. Failing to do so is a federal offense...a felony. Not only will the tenant be arrested, he will also have to pay back all the money he stole from the American taxpayers.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
Quote:

Why would a married couple need a two bedroom apartment?

Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 PM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post

I'm pretty sure this is the next installment in the Hardy Boys series. I'm so excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting