Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:11 PM

815 posts, read 981,046 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great responses. Very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 09:20 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Thumbs down hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I use Rentprep. It's similar to the previous poster's background check service. I like to get to the brass tacks so I call everybody listed on the background check. I verify every address by calling the previous apartment complex. I call every employer listed.

As previously stated, sometimes it's difficult to verify employment. I've had luck getting past HR blockades by simply stating "This is Campfires, I need to speak to (insert boss's name)". A lot of times you can verify who the owner of a company is through Google. If it's a local employer (i.e., not PepsiCo), you can usually get the the boss. That's when I simply state that I'm a local landlord and that their employee has applied for my unit. I then immediately ask if they are a good employee. Then I shut up and listen. It's amazing what you can find out by listening.

I do not rent out anybody with an eviction. Many of these screening services do not do effective nationwide criminal and eviction checking. It's nearly impossible to be 100% certain as there isn't a single database for all the info.

Your best bet is to verify everything you can. My last tenant I picked up has turned out wonderful. I called a previous employer from almost 10 years prior. Can you believe the secretary of the school vividly remembered him? She said he was fantastic. I knew he had been let go from this job for cause and he informed me as to why (immigration issue). When I queried the secretary as to why he was fired, she said she couldn't tell me the reason. I asked if it was possibly a legal immigration status issue and she said that was "possible". (Public school system)

The times I've been burned is when I saw a fantastic applicant on paper but failed to do the serious research. It takes a few hours over a day or two to collate all of the data and verify it with the application. Any misrepresentations on the applicaction is reason for immediate dismissal. It's cheaper for me to keep a house empty than to have a bad tenant.
Well...that is illegal. Keep it up and one day you will be sued and you will be getting screened for a rental application

Old 04-13-2017, 10:30 AM

902 posts, read 863,208 times
Koale,

What is illegal about asking an employer about a prospective tenant? Please specify the exact law. Are you confusing the employer breaching confidentiality and me simply inquiring? People can sue over anything, even if a law hasn't been broken.

With my signed consent form from the applicant, they've given me permission to due my due diligence. Perhaps your state laws differ from Illinois.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:41 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Well...that is illegal. Keep it up and one day you will be sued and you will be getting screened for a rental application
Not if the landlord has a written and signed permission from the applicant to do standard screening things, which would include an employment check. You can't do their credit report without written permission, so might as well write that permission to include all screening.

My permission check contract has an extensive list of things I can check if I choose to do so. Any applicant I am considering has agreed in writing to allow the screening procedures. If would be awfully difficult for them to claim I had violated their privacy when they had agreed to it in the first place.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 AM

Exclamation well, I'll tell you...

Quote:
Koale,

What is illegal about asking an employer about a prospective tenant? Please specify the exact law. Are you confusing the employer breaching confidentiality and me simply inquiring? People can sue over anything, even if a law hasn't been broken.

With my signed consent form from the applicant, they've given me permission to due my due diligence. Perhaps your state laws differ from Illinois.
First...you lied about your identity....?????? Second...you lied in order to receive info on someone you have no right to...??? Lastly...You lied, you snuck around and by doing so you violated the tenants privacy...get it now? You are lucky, so far, that you haven't had your pants sue off...by the tenant and by their employer.
Koale

Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 AM

Default wait a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not if the landlord has a written and signed permission from the applicant to do standard screening things, which would include an employment check. You can't do their credit report without written permission, so might as well write that permission to include all screening.

My permission check contract has an extensive list of things I can check if I choose to do so. Any applicant I am considering has agreed in writing to allow the screening procedures. If would be awfully difficult for them to claim I had violated their privacy when they had agreed to it in the first place.
Standard screening things do not include lieing to all parties involved. If the inquiry was on the up and up OP would not have had to lie to get the info he wanted....right? And, sorry to hurt your feelings but, again, we are not talking about you. What the OP did was deceitful and not in any lawful agreement.
Koale

Old 04-13-2017, 05:30 PM

902 posts, read 863,208 times
Quote:
Standard screening things do not include lieing to all parties involved. If the inquiry was on the up and up OP would not have had to lie to get the info he wanted....right? And, sorry to hurt your feelings but, again, we are not talking about you. What the OP did was deceitful and not in any lawful agreement.
Koale

As I already stated, I called the employer, stated I was "Campfires" (you do realize I used my actual name and not a CityData handle, right?) and wanted to speak to the owner.

Hopefully you can assist all of us reading this thread in pointing out any lies and or deceit because nobody else sees it. It's almost as if you're replying on the wrong thread as your accusations make no sense.

Do you understand what a "consent form" normally entails? This is such a common thing that it is typically boilerplate.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:24 AM

253 posts, read 228,958 times
I always recommend https://www.myrental.com/ because they offer really comprehensive checks (covers credit, background, rental history, etc.).

Pro-tip for newbies: charge an application fee that covers the cost so that each check isn't an out of pocket expense for you!

Old 04-27-2017, 05:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Yup...

If you (not you personally Koale) call our office/dept asking about Suzy Q, we are going to question you before you can question us and the end result will be you getting HRs number and our legal dept getting your contact info.

We are more than happy to forward any employment verification forms to HR...but don't call and blindly ask us questions..you'll get nowhere.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
As I already stated, I called the employer, stated I was "Campfires" (you do realize I used my actual name and not a CityData handle, right?) and wanted to speak to the owner.

Hopefully you can assist all of us reading this thread in pointing out any lies and or deceit because nobody else sees it. It's almost as if you're replying on the wrong thread as your accusations make no sense.

Do you understand what a "consent form" normally entails? This is such a common thing that it is typically boilerplate.

this might work for a Mom and Pop shop, but not for a large company or organization.

If you tried talking to the director/boss of a prospective tenant (or employee for that matter) who works in my dept, you'd get me. You'd tell me who you were and why you're calling and I'd tell you to call HR. I will not give you any info in regards to anyone. And I'd follow up with that employee as well

I won't deny or confirm employment...I will send you directly to HR. It's up to you to decide if going to HR is worth it and even then they won't give info over the phone, you have to fax or mail them an employment verification form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting