Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I suppose I'm opening yet another showing thread, but the threads I read have discussions from another viewpoint, so I decided to try with a new.
My lease going to end soon (6 weeks) and landlord started showings of the condo. I understand it is the law to provide access and I have nothing against it, but I wonder if smbd can clarify follow questions:

1) Is there a legal background for me to enforce shoes-off? I politely asked LL and perspective tenants (or new owners) a few times but LL said to them to ignore and walk inside bedrooms. We are no-shoes home, have multiple rugs, toys on the floor and I never had an issue with maintenance/friends/delivery. Instead of having a rest on Friday evening I spend two hours to clean the condo. I read here on the forum that I can buy shoe covers in Lowe, but it would have no sense if LL and visitors will ignore them.

2) Can I do any kind of restriction for what they can see/open? While during showing they didn't touched our furniture, I was later told by wife that they checked bathroom cabinets, in particular one with sex toys.
I suppose questions 1-2) arise do to ours a bit different culture, but it the first time I feel so uncomfortable with moving in US.

3) I checked FL laws, and found only "reasonable" definition about the showing times. LL is going to schedule next showing for Sunday morning, and as I understand due to lack of "reasonable time" definition they can legally open the condo on Sunday morning as long as they are between 7:30am–8:00pm. Am I missing smth or there is a way to sleep (at least one day) longer next 1.5 months?

p.s. Landlord pushed me taking family to go for a walk during showing, but as I understand he can't legally enforce this, so we left during first showing, but still hear from LL that is it not ok.
Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by ruyi; 04-21-2017 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruyi View Post
Hi,

I suppose I'm opening yet another showing thread, but the threads I read have discussions from another viewpoint, so I decided to try with a new.
My lease going to end soon (6 weeks) and landlord started showings of the condo. I understand it is the law to provide access and I have nothing against it, but I wonder if smbd can clarify follow questions:

1) Is there a legal background for me to enforce shoes-off? I politely asked LL and perspective tenants (or new owners) a few times but LL said to them to ignore and walk inside bedrooms. We are no-shoes home, have multiple rugs, toys on the floor and I never had an issue with maintenance/friends/delivery. Instead of having a rest on Friday evening I spend two hours to clean the condo. I read here on the forum that I can buy shoe covers in Lowe, but it would have no sense if LL and visitors will ignore them.

2) Can I do any kind of restriction for what they can see/open? While during showing they didn't touched our furniture, I was later told by wife that they checked bathroom cabinets, in particular one with sex toys.
I suppose questions 1-2) arise do to ours a bit different culture, but it would be great if

3) I checked FL laws, and found only "reasonable" definition about the showing times. LL is going to schedule next showing for Sunday morning, and as I understand due to lack of "reasonable time" definition they can legally open the condo on Sunday morning as long as they are between 7:30am–8:00pm. Am I missing smth or there is a way to sleep (at least one day) longer next 1.5 months?

p.s. Landlord pushed me taking family to go for a walk during showing, but as I understand he can't legally enforce this, so we left during first showing, but still hear from LL that is it not ok.
Thanks for any advice!

Put the shoe booties next to the door. Most people will wear them.

Put your sex toys away in a less accessible place

As long as they give proper notice (usually 24 hours) you can't stop them from entering. But you're not required to leave either

Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Put the shoe booties next to the door. Most people will wear them.
Thanks, but as I understand that would happen only if LL would will to do so.

Quote:
As long as they give proper notice (usually 24 hours) you can't stop them from entering. But you're not required to leave either
Ok, got it, thanks. I probably have to start calling LL at 7:30am on Sunday to ask any question.

Quote:
less accessible place
That's actually why I miss EU so much - landlord never opened all the cabinets in bd/bath like probably during a police search.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:27 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
I checked FL laws, and found only "reasonable" definition about the showing times. LL is going to schedule next showing for Sunday morning, and as I understand due to lack of "reasonable time" definition they can legally open the condo on Sunday morning as long as they are between 7:30am–8:00pm. Am I missing smth or there is a way to sleep (at least one day) longer next 1.5 months?
Yes, just read the law!

I've highlighted the relevant section. Note, you are reading words but not sentences and that's why your getting abused:

83.53 Landlord’s access to dwelling unit.—
(1) The tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter the dwelling unit from time to time in order to inspect the premises; make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements; supply agreed services; or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors.
(2) The landlord may enter the dwelling unit at any time for the protection or preservation of the premises. The landlord may enter the dwelling unit upon reasonable notice to the tenant and at a reasonable time for the purpose of repair of the premises. “Reasonable notice” for the purpose of repair is notice given at least 12 hours prior to the entry, and reasonable time for the purpose of repair shall be between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
The landlord may enter the dwelling unit when necessary for the further purposes set forth in subsection (1) under any of the following circumstances:
(a) With the consent of the tenant;
(b) In case of emergency;
(c) When the tenant unreasonably withholds consent; or
(d) If the tenant is absent from the premises for a period of time equal to one-half the time for periodic rental payments. If the rent is current and the tenant notifies the landlord of an intended absence, then the landlord may enter only with the consent of the tenant or for the protection or preservation of the premises.
(3) The landlord shall not abuse the right of access nor use it to harass the tenant.

So, the law says they can enter but not that they have the right to enter without your consent. Notice how (2) applies only to Repairs? I don't think showing the unit is considered a repair, do you?

So that leaves the (a) - (d) for showings. Is a showing an emergency? Have you unreasonable been withholding consent to show? Have yo been absent for at least 1/2 the month? That leaves only with your consent. Is it reasonable to request showings on a Sunday? That depends on what you have planned and if it interferes with your peaceful enjoyment on that day. You have every right to say NO.

So long as your refusals are based on reasonable limits, the landlord just has to suck it up.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
When I attend showings, I look in the cabinets and closets....how else am I going to know how big they are? If you don't want people finding your sex toys, put them in your dresser or under your bed in a box.

As for times of showings..you can request days and times, but if the landlord is giving you proper notice to enter, you can't deny him entering. You can also be in the home while it's being shown...he can't force you to leave. As for the shoes..you can ask, but they don't have to comply. We are no shoe as well and it would annoy me, but I'd suck it up and move on.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Thanks, but as I understand that would happen only if LL would will to do so.

Ok, got it, thanks. I probably have to start calling LL at 7:30am on Sunday to ask any question.

That's actually why I miss EU so much - landlord never opened all the cabinets in bd/bath like probably during a police search.

Look at it this way. If the carpet gets soiled because people walked on it with dirty or muddy shoes that just became thecLL problem. Just document the time date and person.
Truthfully I would be happy to know a tenant has a no shoes in the house policy. I don't see why he would have a issue with it. I used to go to open houses when I was lookingbgorvaxplace. Lots of people had a stack of shoe
Booties right by the door. Everyone walked around with booties on.
Leave them out there anyway. If people wear them great. If they don't it's just unfortunate you're dealing with a butthead

Most people are going to open closets and cabinets. Put away any personal items. For all you know the talk was "oh honey look that one is so much bigger AND it has four speeds. I need to get one too"
If you don't want people talking put it away.

You're going to have to put up with entry and people walking through your place. I don't show a property until the tenant vacated. I just don't care for the practice so I don't do it. I don't like showing the property until it's literally move in ready. However I had a lot of people insist on seeing the property while it was bring painted and little fixes etc. nobody seemed to mind so I started showing the properties while I was having them painted or carpet replaced.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I can't even imagine a landlord over-riding the tenant's wishes about shoes. I would stand right there and insist that shoes come off or booties worn.

Potential tenants are going to look inside cabinets and drawers to evaluate how much storage they will get. Move things you don't want them to see into your personal furniture.

You are allowed to follow them around to watch that they don't mess with your personal stuff. Remove any small valuable items and all prescription medication. You can watch them and still be polite and pleasant.

Rental market would have to be darn tight before I would rent from a landlord who told me to ignore the current tenant's request to remove shoes. Your landlord is putting off his potential tenants. That's really bad business practice and I hope the other landlords reading here take note and don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting