U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:27 PM

25 posts, read 14,219 times

Advertisements

I understand that I should send a check, plus a list for any deductions. So far so good if that is correct. I am not the primary landlord, but I am legally authorized to act on his behalf. Now I can sign the check, but I do not really want to sign the list of deductions and put my name on it. Since I am out of time I have to send that list myself now. So my question is, what information do I have to put on that list? Do I have to put my full name and then sign for it? Or can I just put the address in the letterhead, the name of the person who owns it and then put the list of deductions below without signing it? Basically, is a signature required on that list? As I mentioned I am legally authorized, but don't want to put my name beneath the signature due to personal reasons with that tenant. The owner has the house owned by a company and turned me into a manager for some time for that reason. But the owner is a manager himself and the only owner. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,523,199 times
In what state is the property located?

Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM

California

Old 04-20-2017, 01:34 PM

14,534 posts, read 16,479,874 times
If you have nothing else to go on just send it without the signature and with the check. The very most important issue of all is to get the move out list and deposit refund check to the tenant(s) within your state's maximum permitted time.

If there is a problem later you can always sort it out then. The important issue is that it was sent ON TIME.

Meanwhile have a talk with the person who was supposed to sign it. It's not cool to put that on you.

You might want to send it via USPS Certified Mail as proof of timely delivery.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 14,126,664 times
Please explain how you are "authorized to act" yet wimping out on the duties? You are either authorized to act as the landlord's agent or you're a fraud, one or the other!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Please explain how you are "authorized to act" yet wimping out on the duties? You are either authorized to act as the landlord's agent or you're a fraud, one or the other!
I mentioned, I said Im a temporary manager

Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout45 View Post
I mentioned, I said Im a temporary manager
You mentioned NOTHING !!!!

There is no such thing as a "temporary manager" under CA Civil Code! You are either the owner or the owner's authorized agent. Your not playing dress-em-up in the playground, so put on your adult cloths and do your job! You are the owner's agent so do your job as the Agent of the Owner!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You mentioned NOTHING !!!!

There is no such thing as a "temporary manager" under CA Civil Code! You are either the owner or the owner's authorized agent. Your not playing dress-em-up in the playground, so put on your adult cloths and do your job! You are the owner's agent so do your job as the Agent of the Owner!
As of now, company has 2 members, owner/manager and manager (which is me), theres nothing else to it

Old 04-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout45 View Post
As of now, company has 2 members, owner/manager and manager (which is me), theres nothing else to it
Hope you have a good attorney!

You are LEGALLY the Agent for the owner, no matter how ignorant you want to play about the law.

The law could care less what you want it to be; it is what it is. You can put on those ruby red slippers, click your heels tree times, and say "I'm not the Agent, I'm not the Agent, I'm not the Agent", You are the Agent.

God amateurs!

As an FYI, if this is an LLC and your listed as a member or owner, oh lord, that "temporary" nonsense you are hiding behind is even more laughable!

Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 PM

14,534 posts, read 16,479,874 times
Hey Rab, cool off or you're going to have a heart attack and we'll lose the benefit of your opinions!

My properties are not in CA so I'm by no means knowledgeable on this, but here is the question I would like answered:

Does Mr. OP have to sign the move out list? Signature required by law???

Or why not just end the letter with some sort of "Regards, The Management" and not sign it?

I'm not an authority but it seems to me that as long as the tenant(s) receive the explanation and a refund check and in a manner consistent with state maximum refund time limit, what difference does it make whether or not the list is signed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or