Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 813 times

Advertisements

We have a tenant in Los Angeles city that has a 2 year lease, and we do not want to renew the lease. the lease will expire August 1, 2017 then convert to month to month. If we gave a 90 day notice saying we will not renew the lease when it expires will we have to pay relocation fees ???.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,585,884 times
No. You are under no obligation to them if you fulfill the terms of the lease and give the proper notice as required by local laws.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:45 AM

34,144 posts, read 83,178,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider611 View Post
We have a tenant in Los Angeles city that has a 2 year lease, and we do not want to renew the lease.
The lease will expire August 1, 2017 then convert to month to month.

If we gave a 90 day notice saying we will not renew the lease when it expires...
Is 90 days notice what the lease obliges you to do?

Absolutely give them notice and do so as soon as you're certain of your intention.
Be prepared though, perhaps even invite, for them to leave sooner than August 1.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:52 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,175,842 times
Your lease should define the terms and means of how legal notices are to be served (along with local laws) to ensure they are valid.

It seems excessive at 90 days but I do not know the requirements for your jurisdiction. On the other hand there is nothing harmful in meeting and exceeding the legal terms. I would think a tenant would appreciate as much notice as possible.

I myself am in a situation where I may be giving a tenant not only 3-4 months advance notice (way over my legal minimum) but also combined with a lease modification exempting the tenant from early termination fees. That's because I think there is a good possibility I may want to sell the property ASAP and it's a good time to use a carrot and stick to achieve my goal. 1.) many months advance notice, and 2.) a MTM rent increase the tenant cannot possibly afford. My giving tenant an early out parachute (no early termination fee) gives tenant plenty of time to relocate and I hope will gain favor by making tenant's relocation as easy as possible.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,520,356 times
I'm going to contradict a few people and ask one question.

I am not a landlord in California, but I believe some areas do not allow a lease termination except for cause. I also understand that some areas of LA are rent controlled. Are you in one of those areas?

You need advice from someone who knows the laws in LA, which I am not.

In my area, I can just decide I don't like a tenant and give them notice to vacate when the lease is up. But some areas, especially areas with rent control, do not allow a no-cause termination of the lease. You need to know which type of area your rental is in.

Even in those areas, you can still terminate for certain reasons, but not just because you want to. I believe it can be because of lease violation, or because you are going to sell the property, or because a family member is going to move in. But don't quote me on that, because I'm definitely not an expert at that.

So I don't know if that helps a lot, but I wanted to point out that the answer isn't a definite no. It is more of a maybe.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,652,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider611 View Post
We have a tenant in Los Angeles city that has a 2 year lease, and we do not want to renew the lease. the lease will expire August 1, 2017 then convert to month to month. If we gave a 90 day notice saying we will not renew the lease when it expires will we have to pay relocation fees ???.
Since tenant has been occupying the property over a year you are required to do give them a 60 day notice to terminate lease and vacate the premises. They can ask for a preliminary walk through two weeks prior to leaving the property. This will give them time fix whatever they may of damaged.
Do a final walk through alone after they removed all their belongings and surrendered the property. Take pics of any damage or stains.
Make sure you send a letter showing any charges (itemized) and copies of receipts for damage repair if you hired a repair person or cleaning along with the refunded remaining balance and a check for the remaining balance.
You cannot as the LL charge prices out of the ordinary going rates. So if a cleaning person charges $25 a hour to clean you can't charge $40 and diy.

To answer Lacerta unless you are the owner of s rent controlled building, you do not have to have a reason to terminate a lease. You simply send a notice that you are not renewing the lease

Old 04-27-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I am not a landlord in California, but I believe some areas do not allow a lease termination except for cause.
As far as I know that is the standard for leases. Or if not, why would there be leases? Without the "for cause" how is that not MTM? Noting that it would be unfair to allow landlord to terminate a lease without any cause and not allow the tenant the same option. Rental laws tend towards not giving any party an unfair advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Since tenant has been occupying the property over a year you are required to do give them a 60 day notice to terminate lease and vacate the premises.
In my case (different state) 60 days is the rule too. And 60 days sounds very reasonable to me.

Question: How do you count those 60 days? Calendar date?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,585,884 times
I'm confused what is going on in this thread. Are some of you saying that even though the lease is ending on August 1 and OP is giving ample notice, that they may not be able to tell the tenants to leave on August 1? All this talk of without cause and such is confusing me since it sounds like the OP is simply saying they are not renewing the lease.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,520,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
As far as I know that is the standard for leases. Or if not, why would there be leases? Without the "for cause" how is that not MTM? Noting that it would be unfair to allow landlord to terminate a lease without any cause and not allow the tenant the same option. Rental laws tend towards not giving any party an unfair advantage.

In my case (different state) 60 days is the rule too. And 60 days sounds very reasonable to me.

Question: How do you count those 60 days? Calendar date?
You are referring to an EARLY lease termination. I'm saying that in some areas, landlords can't even terminate when the lease expires except for cause. So basically, the landlord is FORCED to let the tenants renew when the lease is up, unless there is a specific reason not to.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM

Leases in my experience typically end on the last day of the month.

Leases often convert to month-to-month at the end of the original lease term. All other parts of the lease remain the same. YMMV depending on state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting