Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:07 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If all this happened 15 years ago wouldn't those debts be off your credit report by now? If not, they should be by law and I would send a letter certified - return receipt requested in order to have these items removed. I believe bankruptcies and foreclosures stay on your credit reports for 10 years but everything else is 7 years. However if you talk to them or agree to pay $20 a month, you start that clock all over again. Good luck - it took me 4 years to get my credit to almost 700 after my husband died.
Every time a judgment is renewed a new credit item is added to the report. In AZ a judgment has to be renewed every 5 years so it will never come off a report as long as it is unpaid and properly renewed; the renewal is technically a new credit item so during the overlap it will show two judgments.

Making payments doesn't start the clock over though since the rule is 7 years after the first delinquent payment. In the event of a foreclosure you can be 30 days late for years then get foreclosed on and have it come off the report surprisingly fast as long as you never get caught up with all payments beforehand.

To the OPs question, no I wouldn't accept an Uber driver same as I wouldn't accept someone working for Sears or any other company on the financial brink. When money gets tight it seems that the rent is the first to go unpaid. Less than 1/4 of drivers (and Uber) see it as stable full-time income, Uber has cut rates without discussing it with their drivers, and Uber just lost almost $3 billion in 2016. If they weren't being propped up by investors they would be out of business already and that money isn't going to be around forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 01:42 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What that tells me is you simply ignore or choose who you pay. And push comes to shove I can easily go in the no pay column.
For me to take you as a tenant you have to pass ALL the criteria I set. Just like everyone else. Otherwise I have to consider everyone with bad credit and paying rent on time. Which is rare as I've never seen that combination. Usually people with bad credit never pay anyone on time
Thats not true. Its called having a BUDGET. My husband had a medical bill $126 on his credit. It does NOT mean he cant pay his insurance/dr or rent. He had insurance and they billed it as plastic surgeon, which they do not cover. It is his fault for then not fixing it sure but he paid it and it was fine.
Another example: My husband was in a fender bender. The court garnished his wages to pay for it. Paid it in full. STILL shows up as a judgement on his credit report.. again does NOT mean he didnt have a job, couldnt pay bills....

So mr high and mightly landlord, there are times when its not " lights or credit card"... it can be a mistake or just someone elses issue.

-------------
IF youre an uber driver and you have a 1099, you have proof of income/employment. Submit it and be done with it

Old 04-29-2017, 01:51 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Income tax returns and credit score will tell the story. Set the security deposit accordingly and let 'er rip.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:59 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Should tenants keep an eye out for changes in their landlord's circumstances? Like headed toward foreclosure?
I definitely think its a great idea for a tenant to check the local tax office to see if the LL is current on paying property taxes.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:01 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Uber driver is the same as self-employed. In addition to good credit and good references, I require a tax return and past 12 months' bank statements showing consistent deposits to support income reported on the rental application for all self-employed applicants. I get employer verifications and last pay stubs on employed applicants.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Uber driver is the same as self-employed. In addition to good credit and good references, I require a tax return and past 12 months' bank statements showing consistent deposits to support income reported on the rental application for all self-employed applicants. I get employer verifications and last pay stubs on employed applicants.
thats extreme. Geez. If you can verify their employment, you dont need all of that! I wouldnt rent from you if you asked all that. No way would i give you my bank info. A pay stub sure.... my bank account info. NO.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
...thats extreme.
Not it isn't. If anything it doesn't go deep enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Whether 1099 or W2 if they have a history of earning a similar amount by doing roughly
the same sort of work over some reasonable period (ie "being steady") then the specific work
they do really shouldn't matter.

The problem with many renters though (1099 or W2) is not being steady.
I'd want to see his 1040's for as long as he's been "self employed" or at least the last 3 years.
Including the pertinent schedules.

The concern is accuracy and consistency of what an applicant claims which include all sorts
of issues like under reporting gross, overstating expenses, operating uninsured or even worse...
creating the numbers up from whole cloth.

Those who can't (or won't) produce this sort of confirming data are hiding something.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:22 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Quote:
thats extreme. Geez. If you can verify their employment, you dont need all of that! I wouldnt rent from you if you asked all that. No way would i give you my bank info. A pay stub sure.... my bank account info. NO.
If you went to a bank to borrow money to buy a house, they'd ask for that and more. If you're in essence "borrowing" a house to live in from a LL, it's very similar.

Either way you're taking control and possession of a valuable asset. No bank/LL in their right mind would hand that over without qualifying you.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
If you went to a bank to borrow money to buy a house, they'd ask for that and more. If you're in essence "borrowing" a house to live in from a LL, it's very similar.

Either way you're taking control and possession of a valuable asset. No bank/LL in their right mind would hand that over without qualifying you.
I have bought a house and they didnt ask for all that. Thanks for the advice though!

Old 04-29-2017, 11:09 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
If you are self employed, you don't have a pay stub, and there are very few landlords who will rent to you unless you prove you have income. So you have no pay stub and you have no boss who can be called to verify you have employment income. Uber drivers are self employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting