Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Yes, it is "funny" how the law protects somebody who has - say - $250k invested in property he owns from somebody who has absolutely nothing invested in said property he doesn't own.
Exactly. And it's hard to believe $34 would be too much for a qualified renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 07:48 AM

749 posts, read 734,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Exactly. And it's hard to believe $34 would be too much for a qualified renter.
Right. The renters who balk at paying a $34 fee are also going to balk at paying their rent.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Right. The renters who balk at paying a $34 fee are also going to balk at paying their rent.
If it would be a case of getting an apartment after passing then it wouldn't be such an issue. But it isn't. It is a fee to get on a waiting list to apply to get onto the waiting list for an apartment maybe several years into the future. They have to go through the years long actual waiting list to get to the other list. I am living in my truck and need to make sure I have money for gas and rent on the storage shed. I don't have the luxury to wait several years to fill out an actual apartment application.

I have never even been late on rent in my life.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:42 AM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That sounds like a scam. Are they REALLY pulling your credit separately for every property?
That's another thing I'm saying. They wouldn't need to pull it separately for every property. And then if you pass this background check you don't get an apartment. You get put on a waiting list to apply in the future. So, the applicant doesn't really get anything in return.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:04 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
The waiting list for subsidized housing isn't that long in many, maybe even most locals. And if you do get a place, you'll save more than $34 on the first month's rent. Charging the fee also discourages many irresponsible people from applying, and weeds out those who do. That's why these places are so desirable for those who qualify and don't want to live in a dumpy environment.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 PM

749 posts, read 734,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
If it would be a case of getting an apartment after passing then it wouldn't be such an issue. But it isn't. It is a fee to get on a waiting list to apply to get onto the waiting list for an apartment maybe several years into the future. They have to go through the years long actual waiting list to get to the other list. I am living in my truck and need to make sure I have money for gas and rent on the storage shed. I don't have the luxury to wait several years to fill out an actual apartment application.

I have never even been late on rent in my life.
There's a whole lot more going on here than what you're telling us.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Application fees are limited by Statute in my State...

I have never charged on property I own, but do for property I manage.

There is a real side business regarding application fees... and most of the management companies here will charge and it will be good for 30 days...

Can't speak to other areas.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The law allows landlords to protect themselves from applicants at risk of default (through credit pulls and screening), and does not allow applicants to similarly protect themselves from landlords at risk of default and foreclosure. Funny how that works.

Your lease protects you. As long as you pay your rent there is no way they can remove you. Until the lease is up for renewal. Most banks would offer you a buy out cash for keys deal.

Yes it's not fair. I get to know everything about you and you don't get to know everything about me. Let me know what you would do next time you're about to hand the keys to 1/2 to 1.5 million dollar house when the guy hands you a check for .001% of that value and has possession for 12 months. And you dint know anything more than what you read or called on. And you don't know if the guy is a one man wrecking crew

And when I bought my house my lender gave me a financial proctologist exam. I wasn't too thrilled about having to explain every financial thing I did but I had to jump through their hoops to get the loan.

Welcome to the real world

Old 05-01-2017, 02:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

Um, nope. I balk at paying $34 because I don't want any nickel-and-dime costs from impairing my ability to pay the rent on time. I pay my rent on time, but I since I live on the economic margin, I also depend on not having financial hiccups along the way.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Your lease protects you. As long as you pay your rent there is no way they can remove you. Until the lease is up for renewal. Most banks would offer you a buy out cash for keys deal.

Yes it's not fair. I get to know everything about you and you don't get to know everything about me. Let me know what you would do next time you're about to hand the keys to 1/2 to 1.5 million dollar house when the guy hands you a check for .001% of that value and has possession for 12 months. And you dint know anything more than what you read or called on. And you don't know if the guy is a one man wrecking crew

And when I bought my house my lender gave me a financial proctologist exam. I wasn't too thrilled about having to explain every financial thing I did but I had to jump through their hoops to get the loan.

Welcome to the real world

Foreclosure trumps leases, last I looked. Nobody gives me keys and unrestricted access to a 1/2 million dollar house. I rent ROOMS in (overcrowded) houses from individuals living in the house. I literally have had NO time along in this house the 18 months I have lived in it, and I don't even have a key to my room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting