Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:43 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
C'mon MigratingCoconut. You should know by know- ALL threads are about him.
if you post about a demon in a place his would be worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 09:19 AM

56 posts, read 37,683 times
35.00 seems to be the norm in my area for application fees

Old 05-07-2017, 09:39 AM

439 posts, read 516,890 times
$50 limit for application fees in WA State.

However, about 6 months ago I got scammed b/c the property managers asked for a $99 "Holding Fee" for the unit I was interested in...they made it sound like they would not run my application without the $99 holding fee...but then I overheard them talking about another couple coming in to put down their "Holding fee" so....I guess I was wrong.

They should not ask for "holding fee" until application is approved, you know what I'm saying?

Such a rookie mistake on my behalf, I should have known better

Then I had second thoughts of moving to the place, because of the high crime, even though they were brand new apartments. They did also accept Section 8 there...I'm not on it, obviously, because I work full time..but in my experience, a place that accepts Section 8 is automatically a "no go" for me...

I heard form a property manager a few years ago, "It just takes one of two bad tenants to drag down the entire complex...because they have friends, and they bring their friends over, etc."

I went home and went on yelp.com and read horrifying reviews of the place...should not have bothered applying there.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
When I iived in Salt Lake City, the housing list for Sec. 8 was CLOSED. They had too long a back-log to accept new applicants.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Um, nope. I balk at paying $34 because I don't want any nickel-and-dime costs from impairing my ability to pay the rent on time. I pay my rent on time, but I since I live on the economic margin, I also depend on not having financial hiccups along the way.

It's not a nickel and dime cost. It's a actual cost a LL or manager incurs to process a application.

Quote:
Foreclosure trumps leases, last I looked. Nobody gives me keys and unrestricted access to a 1/2 million dollar house. I rent ROOMS in (overcrowded) houses from individuals living in the house. I literally have had NO time along in this house the 18 months I have lived in it, and I don't even have a key to my room.
Leases trump foreclosure because NOBODY can remove you. You have legal possession of the property within the terms of the lease. If you have a WRITTEN VIABLE lease and you do not violate it you cannot be kicked out.
Your renting situation is your own doing

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-07-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-07-2017, 11:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It's not a nickel and dime cost. It's a actual cost a LL or manager incurs to process a application.

I rented for 30 years without encountering any charges to "process" an application. Apparently landlords have discovered new ways to process applications and have applicants pay for the privilege.l

Old 05-07-2017, 12:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
I rented for 30 years without encountering any charges to "process" an application. Apparently landlords have discovered new ways to process applications and have applicants pay for the privilege.l
You can still find landlords that do not charge application fees, they may not be cautious of who they rent to. Of course, ahem, you risk ending up in a bad rental situation. Chances are if they aren't charging you an application fee it is because they don't care enough who rents the place to do background checks or they are desperate to rent the place because it is in an undesirable location or in bad condition. You will be more likely to end up stuck with a landlord who takes a sloppy approach to caretaking for their property and/or end up with awful neighbors because they aren't checked either.

For what it's worth, we recently rented out one of our places. Each application cost us $6.17 more to process on average than we collected in application fees.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:19 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
I rented for 30 years without encountering any charges to "process" an application. ............
Yes, and you live in a flop house with a bunch of drunks, dopers, and undesirables who didn't get screened by your landlord.

People who want to live in apartments with halfway decent neighbors prefer to rent from a landlord who screens his tenants and doesn't just let in anyone with the first month's rent as the only criteria.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, and you live in a flop house with a bunch of drunks, dopers, and undesirables who didn't get screened by your landlord.

People who want to live in apartments with halfway decent neighbors prefer to rent from a landlord who screens his tenants and doesn't just let in anyone with the first month's rent as the only criteria.

For the 30 years without paying for applications, I rented normal studio apartments from normal landlords.

It's only after relocating to a low-vacancy high COL area that my accommodations were reduced to flophouse rooms. I prefer to rent decent housing but my low income and unfixable credit take that option off the table.

Last edited by freemkt; 05-07-2017 at 07:16 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 06:39 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
For the 30 years without paying for applications, I rented normal studio apartments from normal landlords.

It's only after relocating to a low-vacancy high COL area that my accommodations were reduced to flophouse rooms. I prefer to rent decent housing but my low income and unfixable credit take that option off the table.
You "relocated" to a low-vacancy, high COL area with a minimum wage skill set? Who does that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting