Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:12 PM

15 posts, read 13,782 times

Advertisements

The management company ignores all the complaints that I wrote to them. Can I NOT pay the rent on the basis of the complaints written below and this order?

1. Stink at the entrance to the elevator.
  2. The garage door malfanction every few months and stays opened for days. We already had at least two cases when someone broke a car's window and stole stuff from it.
  3. The road inside the parking has a lot deep potholes and it just impossible to drive. It ruins the car. Especially when it rains and you don't see them.
  4. We have 4 laundry machines but they put a sign that only 3 can be used simultenously. Probably it was cheaper to put a sign than to fix it. But, obviously tenants still use 4 laundry machines simultenously it floods the whole floor.
  5. All 4 laundry machines have mold on it!
  6. 2 of the laundry machines don't wash well.
  7. 3 laundry machines are not enough for the building.
  8. People have fallen due to this floods.
  9. The fire extinguishers are expired since 2015.
  10. The elevator annual inspection is expired since 2014.
  11. The elevator sticks occasionally at some floors.

Please don't write comments like "move out", but write a relevant comment.

Last edited by theateist; 04-30-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times
Check with county rent escrow office. There are procedures you must follow. You can't just stop paying or you will get evicted. You have to pay the court or the landlord.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
None of those are habitability issues. They are a sign of a crappy LL and a badly managed and in disrepair neglected complex.

Were the people that fell hurt? Why aren't they seeking legal council?

You can file a complaint with the city on the fire extinguishers and the conveyance. Or do one better and stop by the local FD engine company. They would be glad to stop by and do a inspection. Or ask them for the Fire inspectors number. They will help you out

Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 AM

539 posts, read 566,617 times
To answer your question, no, you cannot withhold rent. None of those are habitability issues. They are annoyances.

Call the fire department non emergency line about the fire extinguisher.

There should be a number on the multiple stickers or plates found in the elevator. Call the non emergency number. Or Google the company and find their phone number through that. It do a back search until you find what you need.

Clean the washers yourself, you use them you clean them. Look at the model of the washer and Google how to clean it, and find either specific washer cleaner, use bleach, or use a vinegar solution, whatever is best for that type.

You can't complain about the flooding of the washers if a RULE is that only 3 can be used. When all 4 is used flooding happens. That's negligence on the renters part. If mold, damages, or injuries occurs because of improper use of the equipment, violating rules, its the renters fault not the landlords. Tread carefully because he doesn't have to provide you appliances.

I'm sure somewhere in the lease it states your vehicle is your responsibility. And that's what car insurance and renters insurance is for. Any stolen goods on rented property or vehicle damages. If you don't have that, that's not the landlords fault.

All of these complaints are pretty petty. If you are attempting that hard to not pay your rent, then you should move either to a cheaper place that you can afford, or a more expensive place that in the lease itself covers all amenities included. If you are not happy with where you live to the point to where you question about giving your agreed upon rent amount, yes you should probably move. ..... Get ready for the "I CANT MOVE" post to ensue. But its reality.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:40 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times
Your lease agreement details your rights, and the owners - so no one here could advise you. It's lopsided, they usually are, but you signed it. As others have said, most/all of your complaints fall under annoyances, not habitability issues.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
If you really want to make trouble, call the health department and get the place inspected. But you can't withhold rent. If you had no heat, or no running water, or no hot water, you could go to court, establish an escrow account, and get court order to pay for repairs out of escrow account.

Why don't you want to move to a better managed unit?

Old 05-01-2017, 01:38 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
The only relevant comment is that you should move to a place with better management. There is no other advice that will solve all of your problems.

You can not withhold rent or you will be evicted. If there are habitability issues, you must get permission from the housing courts to withhold rent and you must pay the rent into escrow with the courts. You don't get to just stop paying rent. Your issues don't sound like habitability issues to me.

If it were me, I'd clean the laundry machines before I used them. Seriously, 45 seconds to wipe the machine with a bit of bleach water would take care of any mold issue.

If I were the landlord, I'd remove one machine instead of putting up a sign to not use them. You might suggest that since the landlord hasn't figured that one out..

Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theateist View Post
The management company ignores all the complaints that I wrote to them. Can I NOT pay the rent on the basis of the complaints written below and this order?

1. Stink at the entrance to the elevator.
  2. The garage door malfanction every few months and stays opened for days. We already had at least two cases when someone broke a car's window and stole stuff from it.
  3. The road inside the parking has a lot deep potholes and it just impossible to drive. It ruins the car. Especially when it rains and you don't see them.
  4. We have 4 laundry machines but they put a sign that only 3 can be used simultenously. Probably it was cheaper to put a sign than to fix it. But, obviously tenants still use 4 laundry machines simultenously it floods the whole floor.
  5. All 4 laundry machines have mold on it!
  6. 2 of the laundry machines don't wash well.
  7. 3 laundry machines are not enough for the building.
  8. People have fallen due to this floods.
  9. The fire extinguishers are expired since 2015.
  10. The elevator annual inspection is expired since 2014.
  11. The elevator sticks occasionally at some floors.

Please don't write comments like "move out", but write a relevant comment.
The short answer is no. The long answer is that you may be able to pay rent into escrow through the clerk of court.

This should get things moving if you can get enough tenants to do it as well, but you're likely to get a notice to vacate anyway for being the squeaky wheel.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:49 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
With holding rent "because" is like divorced parents.

You can't with hold child support because the spouse is interfering with visitation.

You can't with hold visitation because a spouse is behind on child support.

" visitation".........." child support".........two separate issues

"rent".........." complaints"....................two separate issues.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:09 PM

66 posts, read 61,851 times
There are certain rules like everyone else said relating to habitability. I lived in a unit that had no heat and some of the carpet was not intact. I found out that I could withold rent for the heat and possibly the carpet, but the carpet actually met the requirements. It just wasn't nailed down. If the carpet had giant holes then I would have had a case. Oh and heat was a requirement but air conditioning was not in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting