Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 31,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't know GLVAR but if you have proof that the damage was present before you moved in then I don't see how you could lose that case.

It is a PITA to file though, and a PITA to show up.

It would help if the letter went by Certified Mail, although perhaps not an issue by the time you appear in small claims court.

I predict you will win your case. Remember to file to include court costs.

The demand letter states refund my money or I will take you to court. It went certified mail with a return receipt. I plan on asking for my 950 back plus court costs. Thanks so much for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
You go!!! -- You'll win.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yup. And it's that 10% that gets remembered.
This is exactly right. With 180 rentals, so an average of maybe 300-350 adult occupants at any given time, over a 16 year period, the only ones I remember are the problems. When I get a call for a rent verification, if I don't remember who the person is, that is a very good sign. If I immediately know exactly who it was and where they lived, that is NOT a good thing.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnbstar View Post
I live in Henderson NV. I lived in a rental for over 4 years. Upon moving out we received a security deposit statement. There are a few things listed like a garage door replacement $900 (it was bent when we moved in and I have dated pictures prior to our move in to show it was damaged before us) and concrete cleaning $400 (garage floor was covered in paint before moving in) this is on our initial move in walk through list. She is saying they paid to have the door replaced and concrete cleaned. So, I drove by the house and the garage door isnt replaced only painted and the concrete was not cleaned. I emailed her and asked for receipts and she is refusing to provide me copies of these but is demanding a payment. What can I do?
I would go take pics of the garage door and the dirty garage floor....use a newspaper in the pic, showing the date.....I would sue for my refunded deposit if it were me. Evidence.....You have your pre-move in pics....the LL letter stating they fixed these things....and that they demanded more money from you, beyond what they have kept fraudulently....Print copied of Your letter/text asking LL for receipts....and your pics that prove none of what they claimed your security deposit and are seeking more payment from you was even done.....they are scamming you.

I think in some states that you can get treble damages, since if you win the LL will not have met the 30 day deadline in returning your security deposit. And, as long as you can show the still wrecked door and garage floor.....and the LL letter is dated prior demanding more money and lying about having fixed the door and professionally cleaning the garage floor, you should win.

And, when you get the LL in court....and prove fraud perhaps you can get even more compensation....And certainly your lost wages etc should be part of this suit. And the Judge will demand to see the LL's receipts, especially after you show your recent pics proving nothing was repaired.....and your security deposit was kept by fraud by the LL.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 31,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would go take pics of the garage door and the dirty garage floor....use a newspaper in the pic, showing the date.....I would sue for my refunded deposit if it were me. Evidence.....You have your pre-move in pics....the LL letter stating they fixed these things....and that they demanded more money from you, beyond what they have kept fraudulently....Print copied of Your letter/text asking LL for receipts....and your pics that prove none of what they claimed your security deposit and are seeking more payment from you was even done.....they are scamming you.

I think in some states that you can get treble damages, since if you win the LL will not have met the 30 day deadline in returning your security deposit. And, as long as you can show the still wrecked door and garage floor.....and the LL letter is dated prior demanding more money and lying about having fixed the door and professionally cleaning the garage floor, you should win.

And, when you get the LL in court....and prove fraud perhaps you can get even more compensation....And certainly your lost wages etc should be part of this suit. And the Judge will demand to see the LL's receipts, especially after you show your recent pics proving nothing was repaired.....and your security deposit was kept by fraud by the LL.
THANK YOU!! I have pics of the garage door and concrete after the dated letter from the LL. Honestly we knew this was coming. We expected them to say you get nothing back and we would have called it a wash because it wasn't worth the fight. But to try and charge us additional charges is absurd.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnbstar View Post
I live in Henderson NV. I lived in a rental for over 4 years. Upon moving out we received a security deposit statement. There are a few things listed like a garage door replacement $900 (it was bent when we moved in and I have dated pictures prior to our move in to show it was damaged before us) and concrete cleaning $400 (garage floor was covered in paint before moving in) this is on our initial move in walk through list. She is saying they paid to have the door replaced and concrete cleaned. So, I drove by the house and the garage door isnt replaced only painted and the concrete was not cleaned. I emailed her and asked for receipts and she is refusing to provide me copies of these but is demanding a payment. What can I do?
If the damage was pre-existing you shouldn't be charged for any of it. You should of taken pics of the current condition of the unrepaired work that is claimed as to being repaired
If the damage is documented and you have pics take the LL to court to get your deposit back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting