Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:46 PM

903 posts, read 862,178 times

Advertisements

I'm just finishing up this rehab and my budget is maxed. I'm considering hanging curtain rods with finials instead of blinds. Has any other landlord done this? Is it unusual to have the tenant hang their own curtains?

My thinking is that there is less likely to be damage and the tenant gets their pick of curtains to hang (and keep). I'm tired of the blinds getting damaged and they seem low budget anyways.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 02:22 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I'm just finishing up this rehab and my budget is maxed. I'm considering hanging curtain rods with finials instead of blinds. Has any other landlord done this? Is it unusual to have the tenant hang their own curtains?

My thinking is that there is less likely to be damage and the tenant gets their pick of curtains to hang (and keep). I'm tired of the blinds getting damaged and they seem low budget anyways.

What say you?
As a tenant, I'd totally be OK with this.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:31 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Also a tenant and I might even prefer it. I hate mini blinds with a passion. Good quality blinds would be the best though.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:33 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I hate blinds, so I'd be fine with it. As a landlord though, I put blinds up so that the outside of the house looked tidy and the windows looked alike.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
the LL shouldnt put anything on the windows, thats the tenants responsibility.
i wouldnt want what ever the LL put on my windows, that would be like someone else decorating your home.....

Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
As former landlord, manager and current tenant - curtain rods are preferable.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hate blinds, so I'd be fine with it. As a landlord though, I put blinds up so that the outside of the house looked tidy and the windows looked alike.
I've had leases that state that any curtains must have a white backing to keep a uniform look.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:09 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,993,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post

I was a landlord for 20-yrs. For the sake of less damage to my property, I not only installed blinds, but also drapery rods. When a tenant asked me to install curtain rods lower, as she wanted both curtains & drapes (which I've never seen before or since... unsure why she wanted both, but she was a good tenant), I did all the windows the same.

It may sound like overkill, but in the inner city with giant apt complexes, someone could always be looking down or up into your rooms, so blinds are a must. One thing to consider as a landlord, blinds allow more privacy when the apt is empty, too. In my old 'hood, landlords always closed the blinds on a vacant unit, so it wasn't broken into.

BTW, why are blinds always getting damaged? I've never had a tenant ruin blinds & no, not all my tenants were good tenants. You can buy the cheapest for less than $5 at Home Depot or Lowe's, but 1 bump up to $10 might give you a better quality blind. Although, I always did fine with the least expensive ones from HDepot & they were $3.50/ea at the time.

Lastly, if you don't like Venetian blinds, in my own apt I always used those roll down straw blinds. Bought them at a place like Pier 1 way back. I liked the countryish look & they never needed repair. They were cheaper back then & might be too pricey now... but, mine did last 20-yrs. Just something to consider.

Good luck with your new tenants!

Old 05-05-2017, 10:04 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
If you are going to allow tenants to get their own curtains, then it is better to have curtain rods installed so that tenants do not install their own.

Many of my landlord acquaintances don't like to have tenants do their own window coverings because the tenants will nail up bed sheets rather than spend money on curtains.

I used to supply curtains, but normally I found them wadded up and tossed on the floor in the garage at move-out, all greasy and dirty, so I stopped buying them.

I supply mini blinds and it very rare for a tenant to also add curtains. I have no idea why tenants break so many blinds. I can live with blinds for a decade and never have one break, or get dirty, for that matter.

Although, my tenants who have cats, I suspect that the cats break them when getting up onto the window sill to look out. Also, when applicants are viewing the house, they will often take hold of slats in the blinds and wrench them wide apart in order to look outside. I am sure that behavior results in broken blinds. I don't know what they do to break the strings and to tie the strings into enormous tangled knots, which they all do.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:14 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
I'm surprised that people think "getting" to buy curtains as a tenant is a positive. I wouldn't want to buy curtains to fit the number and size of windows in a rental, since the odds that I'd ever get to re-use them is minimal.

Then again, I have a strong personal preference for blinds, which is all I installed in my new house, other than in the master bedroom - and even that was unplanned, I just happened to see someone selling a set that perfectly fit my decor so I bought them. I wasn't looking for them, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting