Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:52 PM

444 posts, read 387,002 times

Advertisements

How long should a Tenant wait for a landlord to make repairs before filing an official complaint?

And no it is not specified in the lease a time frame for repairs, just who is responsible.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 PM

539 posts, read 566,196 times
It really depends on what it is and what the landlord is actively doing. If its a broken refrigerator shelf, its not getting fixed. If the fridge itself is broken, or if he's replacing the fan, the item itself needs to be ordered. Or, air conditioning. If your lease states air conditioning is included, and it breaks during a heat wave, all he can do is call a repairman and schedule an appointment. The first appointment may not be for 2 weeks because of everyone else calling. On that appointment if a part needs to be ordered then it takes time for that to arrive and then another appointment needs to be scheduled. That's a month later.

If its a leaking pipe or water on the ceiling, that's usually handled faster because of how much damage it causes.

It truly depends on what it is, what all the damage is, how extensive the problem turns out to be, and how many other workers and companies have to be involved. Whether its a habitability issue or an annoyance too. Smoke detectors have to be replaced ASAP while broken window blind he can tell you to kick rocks and buy your own.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
It really depends on what it is and what the landlord is actively doing. If its a broken refrigerator shelf, its not getting fixed. If the fridge itself is broken, or if he's replacing the fan, the item itself needs to be ordered. Or, air conditioning. If your lease states air conditioning is included, and it breaks during a heat wave, all he can do is call a repairman and schedule an appointment. The first appointment may not be for 2 weeks because of everyone else calling. On that appointment if a part needs to be ordered then it takes time for that to arrive and then another appointment needs to be scheduled. That's a month later.

If its a leaking pipe or water on the ceiling, that's usually handled faster because of how much damage it causes.

It truly depends on what it is, what all the damage is, how extensive the problem turns out to be, and how many other workers and companies have to be involved. Whether its a habitability issue or an annoyance too. Smoke detectors have to be replaced ASAP while broken window blind he can tell you to kick rocks and buy your own.

Ok, thank you for your response. 1st issue is installing a 2nd lock. The door frame can't support it because it is hollow so there is only one lock on the door. We requested permission because in order to install the locksmith would need to cut into the door frame. The landlord said okay and sent the Super. The super came and found out that the frame was hollow.

The 2nd issue is our intercom doesn't work. I'm on a 2nd floor of walk-up BUT my boyfriend runs a business out of our apartment so he is constantly up and down letting people in.

The 3rd issue is our washing machine makes a squeaky sound when you run the cycle and I think it isn't leveled properly. Since it is Landlord's equipment I would like the LL to have someone take a look at it. I don't want to continue to use if I am causing damage.

We live in New York City for reference. And no none of these are 1st world problems (hell of an annoyance) but we just moved in (April) so I wanted to gauged how long I should wait before I start to complain. We are patient when communication is part of the process.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Here is how I do it

When a tenant calls with a complaint I log it. Then I make the proper call to get someone out. For normal calls I can get someone there in 24-48 hours. I can go there also to get started within 24 hrs.
Usually within 2-4 days the repair is or should be done. I has some repairs that took 30/60 days but that was out of my control as they were roofing issues and the HOA was responsible. That didn't mean I didn't call and make a pest of myself to get the units fixed.

imo repair should be done within 30 days of the initial complaint date. Anything past that (given it's not out of the LL control) is just I don't really want to fix it and I'm hoping you go away and just pay the rent.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
1st issue is installing a 2nd lock.
The 2nd issue is our intercom doesn't work.
The 3rd issue is our washing machine makes a squeaky sound...

I wanted to gauged how long I should wait before I start to complain.
NONE of these are habitability issues and would not REQUIRE being done at all.
So unless the LL or agent told you they would be fixed... don't count on it happening at all.

With that "setting the foul lines" out of the way... these are not unreasonable REQUESTS.
But as requests... it could take a while for a busy LL to work them into the handyman rotation.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Ok, thank you for your response. 1st issue is installing a 2nd lock. The door frame can't support it because it is hollow so there is only one lock on the door. We requested permission because in order to install the locksmith would need to cut into the door frame. The landlord said okay and sent the Super. The super came and found out that the frame was hollow.
In my mind, this is not a repair. The door has one lock and it works, correct? You want an additional lock, but the door cannot support it. They do not have to replace the door because you want another lock.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
NONE of these are habitability issues and would not REQUIRE being done at all.
So unless the LL or agent told you they would be fixed... don't count on it happening at all.

With that "setting the foul lines" out of the way... these are not unreasonable REQUESTS.
But as requests... it could take a while for a busy LL to work them into the handyman rotation.

We were told, via email, that each request will be fixed. The intercom company came today and it is now working.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
In my mind, this is not a repair. The door has one lock and it works, correct? You want an additional lock, but the door cannot support it. They do not have to replace the door because you want another lock.

Yes the one lock works but for my own safety I and my property I would like a 2nd one. If we can't have the 2nd one we can't. We won't cause a stink because of it. We just won't renew. The super is under the impression that he can add a piece to the frame. We didn't ask for a new door.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:43 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Yes the one lock works but for my own safety I and my property I would like a 2nd one. If we can't have the 2nd one we can't. We won't cause a stink because of it. We just won't renew. The super is under the impression that he can add a piece to the frame. We didn't ask for a new door.
The super is correct but the easier approach would be to add an interior only lock. He would need to be a pretty skilled woodworker to remove enough material and glue in blocking to support the lock without destroying the door. It is a hollow door so another lock isn't going to make it any more secure anyway.

The washing machine has adjustable feet on it to level it. Adjust them if you think the machine is out of level, it doesn't make a huge difference. The only thing that really matters is if the machine rocks; that is the only time you need to adjust the feet but it being out of level won't make a significant difference.

Stating he would do it in an email still doesn't obligate him to doing any of the work, nothing is a habitability issue. If he wanted he could make you pay for it to be done but that would need to be agreed to before work begins. I wouldn't add a lock at my expense and it is something I have the tools and knowledge to do.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
The super is correct but the easier approach would be to add an interior only lock. He would need to be a pretty skilled woodworker to remove enough material and glue in blocking to support the lock without destroying the door. It is a hollow door so another lock isn't going to make it any more secure anyway.

The washing machine has adjustable feet on it to level it. Adjust them if you think the machine is out of level, it doesn't make a huge difference. The only thing that really matters is if the machine rocks; that is the only time you need to adjust the feet but it being out of level won't make a significant difference.

Stating he would do it in an email still doesn't obligate him to doing any of the work, nothing is a habitability issue. If he wanted he could make you pay for it to be done but that would need to be agreed to before work begins. I wouldn't add a lock at my expense and it is something I have the tools and knowledge to do.
The door itself isn't hollow. The frame where the cylinder would slide into place is hollow, at least that top half part. The bottom half seems ok.

We bought our own locks. We felt better changing the locks.

Again, if the landlord doesn't want the work done that if fine but say so. Don't have your assistant start communication and then stop it. Communicate with us so we can make our own choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting