Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:31 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Haha. My point exactly. Thank you for understanding the issue.

And, I do hear your other points & know creepy things happen. As a single girl living alone, I've certainly had my fair share of dicey maintenance men throughout my life, giving me the creeps when they've had to do work in my apt, but I try not to let any negative situation get the better of me. One had to be told 1/2-dozen times I wasn't interested in dating him, then out of the blue happened to be everywhere I went for months & odd that obscene, death threat phone calls began at that time. I finally moved, fortunately, out-of-state.

And, a few yrs ago, the maintenance man had been coming into my apt & over time, pilfered about 30 pieces of lingerie & blouses. I thought I was losing my mind as things were disappearing, then one day I left the bldg, forgot something & returned immediately through another entrance. Creepazoid saw me leave, obviously thought I wasn't home & barged in with the key. I'm sure my shriek is still circling the planet. He claimed he was "inspecting" a recently replaced window, but I had no maintenance request in, that replacement was weeks before, he was present when it was done, so did inspect it & oh, well, a little point... ever hear of asking permission to enter, ya bra stealin' monster. Fortunately, the apt mngr let him go, but sadly, he remained for 2-wks & that wasn't pleasant as he badmouthed me to anyone who'd listen. I wonder if he were collecting from other apts, too... if ya ever see a huge lingerie sale in downtown San Diego, you might be buying my bra!

I've had some strange visitors in my 6-wks here (1 per wk, in fact), so I guess that's why this photo op "inspection" is stuck in my mind... it's just 1 more weird event. Twice, 20-yr old boys have showed up, asking if I've ordered a pizza. Pizza delivery is not odd, although I never have food delivery... but, okay a wrong apt... but twice asking for different people? Both looked at me very suspiciously, like they were bracing themselves to bolt, so much so that I almost laughed.

Now the oddest part... with the 1st, he wasn't holding a pizza. And, I don't know if delivery people wear a co t-shirt or are obligated to adhere to a certain dress code, but I wouldn't have taken him for a deliveryman. The 2nd asked for someone with a bizarre sounding name I'd never heard of before, also looked at me very oddly & I told him to call the # of the person who ordered it, as he had the wrong apt. He was holding a pizza, but there was still something very off about him & still stranger, neither pizza deliveryman had a car & there are always 20 empty spaces right in front of my window at all times... I have a bird's eye view of parking & when I've seen delivery people here throughout the complex, they always have a marked car or removable logo on the roof & they never park... they double park & keep their cars running.

The tough looking, 30-something guy upstairs said I should begin pepper spraying people... lol... & that he'll look out for me. Nice, but he works all kinds of crazy hours & is never home, especially during the day. He told me if someone comes to my door again, to send them upstairs & he'll grab them around the throat. So, be warned the 2 teen JWitnesses who woke me up last Sunday. I'd had enough by the time they unexpectedly visited & would have screamed at them, which is out of character for me, but they were kids, probably 14, so I only tried to make them feel badly that they'd just woken me. In any event, I printed a small No Soliciting sign & taped it above my doorbell.

Harkening back to the pizza delivery guys, 1 with no pizza & both sans transport, my 1st thought is whomever lived here before might have been dealing drugs. Pizza is the key word, if that doesn't work, the bizarre names are used. That would explain both appearing they might have to sprint at any moment, if something went wrong. But, the guy upstairs said previous tenants were an older, working couple, who were here for years, both with good careers & afterwards, this apt was empty for many months, while they renovated.

So, maybe Boca's just too weird for me. In any event, I'll speak to one of the rental agents at some point. This complex is upscale & gated, but the main gate allows access to anyone during the day. From 6pm-6am, there's a security guard. I'll type up everything & report it to the office, since perhaps they need security from 6am-6pm, too. We certainly pay enough rent that they can afford it.

Thanks, Everyone.
You have had some amazing experiences. You could make a sitcom. And really good observation about the pizza delivery guys and "pizza" being a code word. I have to remember that one. All the best in your future apartment adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 AM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You have had some amazing experiences. You could make a sitcom. And really good observation about the pizza delivery guys and "pizza" being a code word. I have to remember that one. All the best in your future apartment adventures.
Haha. You're right... Lucy & Ethel probably experienced this. But, honestly, in the 20+ apts I've rented, the vast majority have decent staff & fortunately for me, horrible neighbors are few & far between. In enormous complexes, there's always 1 of everything. Whether a renter or owner, it's luck of the draw. We never know who's going to move in next door. That's why I can't let the few bad experiences tinge my belief in people.

With the pizza thing, who the heck knows. I'm just guessing, but these collective experiences in only 6-wks time are certainly to be filed under comically odd. Could have been guys who were new on the job & not adept with finding addresses. The 1st lad apparently wasn't adept with remembering to bring the pizza with him, also! Lolol

If there are more adventures, I'll post back. We all need a good laugh, now & again.

Have a good week, Cully. Thanks for your replies.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:41 AM

Sooooo. Yes, "pizza" is urban slang for "drugs". And different toppings mean different things. One source:

Urban Dictionary: Ordering Pizza

Old 05-12-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Sooooo. Yes, "pizza" is urban slang for "drugs". And different toppings mean different things. One source:

Urban Dictionary: Ordering Pizza
Could be. I was thinking they were looking to buy drugs. Maybe they were delivering them. The other thought is home invasion.

They definitely were not pizza delivery guys... certainly not on foot, certainly not the way they were dressed, certainly not with sweaty, disheveled appearances. I'm getting all the dates together so I can visit the office on Mon. There's too much dicey activity here & I live in the far back of the complex. There's no one back here during the day & I've been working from home since I've been here. So, I don't even like to open my door to an unsolicited knock.

My mum told me to open my kitchen window & ask what they want. I can't see the door from the window unless they step back 3', but that's what I'll do next time. Hopefully, with my No Soliciting sign, all the dealers, nuts & JWitnesses will just go away.

The other thing is if you order delivery, why would they ask "if" you ordered? Wouldn't they just say, "Hi, I have your delivery"? You should have the food, the order info & address, cuz you're here. Then, when I've said, 'no', why ask if I'm so & so? I just said no, so we're done here. Plus, the hokey made up sounding names, like Supercalifragilistic type nonsense.

And, I'm wondering if I should make a police report, too, after notifying the office. I'll ask them, but still... I hear police every & all Fri/Sat night long, passing by the road outside my house, so there is some sort of crime going on nearby. I'd hate to find out someone had an issue with "delivery" & I didn't forewarn the office. Maybe they can send out a memo about suspicious activity & to report it.

Never a dull moment in Boca. Have a good weekend, C.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM

Do let police know. It will be confirmation for what they are already working on and another element of protection for you and neighbors. It will be good for them to have a specific area and address to keep an eye on...even in unmarked vehicles and plain clothes. Maybe catch some of the bad guys.

Still wondering about that photographer who fancied your kitchen utensils. He seemed to have an ulterior motive. Passed through my mind he may have been a detective in plain clothes actually checking to see if there were any indication of drugs in your unit, being sure you were not connected with the previous tenant. Their eyes can sweep all around with your noticing it too much. But,still,you'd expect him to do a better job pretending to be a photographer.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Still wondering about that photographer who fancied your kitchen utensils. He seemed to have an ulterior motive. Passed through my mind he may have been a detective in plain clothes actually checking to see if there were any indication of drugs in your unit, being sure you were not connected with the previous tenant. Their eyes can sweep all around with your noticing it too much. But,still,you'd expect him to do a better job pretending to be a photographer.
Haha. No, he was a maintenance worker employed by the complex. The office left the inspection notice at my door. Also, as I mentioned before, the upstairs neighbor said there wouldn't have been nefarious activity by the previous tenants... they were an older working couple, not often home.

It's just odd that there have been so many incidents back to back. Hopefully, it will settle down.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:09 PM

Hmmm. So why so many strange visitors in your six weeks?

Old 05-12-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. So why so many strange visitors in your six weeks?
Well, visit 5, last Sun, were 2 JWitnesses. They were young teens. No harm, aside from waking me but this is supposed to be a gated community.

3-4 were the pizzaless, carless, scruffy "pizza" delivery duo. Separate visits, 1-wk apart.

2 was the "inspectors". 1 waited outside, the other loves snaps of kitchen utensils & toilets. Next week? Lamps & potholders...

1 was selling some service & I forget what it was. I had moved in same day. Water home delivery, I think? Although, he was carrying nothing with him.

Oh & there was a 6th... selling Dish TV or AT&T cable... that was also within the 1st wk. Didn't know they sold door to door. He wasn't wearing any kind of uniform. Didn't have a badge. I was more irritated at being solicited. Have no idea how they'd know I just moved in. I chose Xfinity & didn't call Dish or ATT for info.

With half, I'll just chalk it up to a lot of soliciting in the area. With the other half... I still don't know the reason for the inspection. And, the delivery guys, on 2 separate occasions, are suspicious.

Sun will be 1-wk since the last. We'll see.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:19 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I'd be concerned that all these guys showing up without uniforms could also be casing the place and you (assessing if you live alone, have a big dog, etc). I don't think you should open the door unless you are expecting someone. Does your door have a peep hole?

(I also read lots of true crime, so that influences how I see things)

Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I'd be concerned that all these guys showing up without uniforms could also be casing the place and you (assessing if you live alone, have a big dog, etc). I don't think you should open the door unless you are expecting someone. Does your door have a peep hole?

(I also read lots of true crime, so that influences how I see things)
Hi, Kitten. You know, a couple of people said that, you're right on all counts. Honestly, I've never had so many unsolicited visitors & like with the guy selling water or cable... I don't know if I should expect uniforms? The Comcast guy (for service I ordered) didn't have a uniform, Xfinity shirt or badge. Of course, I did see his truck parked right outside, so I knew he was with the company.

I'm not normally home during the day... this is unusual that I'll be working from home for another couple of months. But, what I forgot to mention & also odd is that if these guys were selling, I noticed they didn't knock on any other doors & when I said no & closed the door, then went to the window (which takes 2-3 seconds), they all had disappeared. I normally wouldn't look out like that, but I don't know, something's odd about it all, so I wanted to see where they went afterwards. If they were truly selling, shouldn't I be seeing them headed to other neighbor's doors? Instead, they all vanished & I can see everyone's door from my window.

I do have a peephole, but it was put in by an NBA player, cuz it's 6' high. I'm tall, but had to put on heels to look through it & it's not clear to me. As a disclaimer, I do have horrendous eyesight & wear glasses all the time. But, I'd only be able to see that someone was there... I wouldn't be able to see details. I wrote in a post above, my mum was the one who told me to not open the door anymore & slide the window open to yell over to them, which is what I'll do from now on.

I normally wouldn't open my door, but living in a gated community (false security) & having just moved in, I assumed it was maintenance or an immediate neighbor. So far, that's never been the case.

My mum has been telling me for years to get a large dog. Problem is I'm allergic & not too fond of them. They also charge a fortune here to have one plus monthly pet rent. And, I'll be moving again in Feb, so I don't think that's the answer.

I do have mace on my keychain & I had a stungun, but coincidentally, it just broke when I tested it. I'll replace it.

Fortunately, the burly 20-something upstairs is friendly to me & absolutely outraged with what happened. He's angrier than I am about it. And, I didn't tell him it all... only about the 2 pizza guys. It's nice to have someone around looking out for me (he said not to be afraid to knock on his door anytime I need anything), but that's the issue... he's never around.

I'll visit the office with my story on Mon. Then I'll ask them if I should see the police Re: the pizza guys. I'm sure if I filled out a police report, they'd notify them, so I'd like to give them a head's up first. But, maybe it will prompt them to keep security here during the day, rather than just night.

As for casing the place, that's the 1st thing my mum said. I just don't know why they're targeting my place? How would anyone know I just moved in if they don't live here? It's not like I had any antique furniture or expensive things can be seen through my windows. And, stranger, I'm in the back of the complex & not near an exit. You have to come all the way through the complex to get to my bldg. Wouldn't someone want to rob a place closer to an exit?

Thanks for your reply. I've heard a lot of true crime podcasts, too. I know what you mean about being very cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting