Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 34,062 times

Advertisements

I paid my rent through ACH online on 5.2.17. My apartments are saying that they received the payment and that my balance is 0, which also shows on my online resident portal. However nothing is reflected in my bank account.I was told that it takes 3-4 days to come out of my account. It usually comes out 2 days after i paid it. The first day i called was Saturday 5.6.17. The agent went and checked and came back and stated that it has been paid and that there is 0 balance and that she would have the manager check into to see if anything was going on that she could not see. I told her that it has not been cleared of my account and also offered to bring it in person. She never called back so i called on Sunday 5.7.17 and she still states that it is paid. It has been now 7 days have called them twice but they basically keep telling me its paid. Has this happen to anyone else? What i should do? I obviously do not want this to come back and bite me in the ***. But i cant convince them otherwise. Please help!!!!

Called again today, (MY 3RD CALL) LL still stating that it is paid and i have a 0 balance. I'm kind of done trying to convince them that it has not been done. Now i need to know what i can do legally to protect myself if in 6 months the rent still has not been paid and they decide to take me to court. I'm not planning on spending the money. But I'm a single mom and it sure could help with ALOT of things like Bills or school clothes. But most importantly we need a home to live in. So i obviously want and is really trying to do the right thing here. The only thing i have in writing is obviously a confirmation email that was sent on 5.2.17 stating that i paid the rent in full. I also have a print out of a 0.00 balance as of today from my resident portal where i pay the rent. What else do i need in writing. I even thought about going in and trying to give it to them in person even though they told me not to. I'm very confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:07 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Call your bank.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Sorry i did forget to mention. I called my bank and they state they have no recollection or records of my LL even running the account for the funds. There is nothing they can do. BTW this a netspend account and alot of their reps don't have their screws if you know what i mean. The only thing they could tell me was that the Apt basically never ran the account.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
This is less worrying and more you want to spend the money. Don't.

That confirmation email will be your defense against late fees and eviction as long as you DON'T SPEND THE MONEY. The money must remain in the account until they either finally take it out or notice they never took it and ask for new payment. If you spend it then you are throwing your defense in the trash and will be SOL and can be evicted and forced to pay late fees.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Actually i want to pay it. I don't want to have to pay it or deal with anything legal down the line. The money is there i dont plan on spending the money, I just said it would be nice if I could but im not stupid. I just want to know what can i do to make sure im covered on all grounds. Like i said im really considering just bringing it in. It does need to be sitting in my account. But i cant make them take the payment plus i do not want to be responsible for any late fees or anything like that. I actually called again (MY 4THX)and finally they are stating they are going to put in a help desk ticket to make sure everything is running properly on their site, So i will be waiting to hear back from them.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:43 PM

586 posts, read 554,193 times
The apartment considers it paid. You asked them twice.

The end.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
As AZ Manger said, keep the money in the account and just don't spend it. Odds are, if the landlord is pulling the payments from your account and they claim it was paid, they most likely pulled it from the wrong account. Keep copies of all your communications and a log of all your calls. Sooner or later, this will be caught and you will be required to pay. Since yo have documented proof you have been trying to get this paid, they can;t charge any late fees or take any adverse action against you. If you spend the money, all bets are off. Now, if you are pushing the payments to the landlord, if it had anything to do with your side of the process, it would be considered the same as never paying the rent.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:52 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
i had a similar issue with my landlord. they had a record of me paying it, but it never got cashed in my bank account also. So i went down to the office and the person responsible for posting my check, did not do all the steps. So that is what may have happened to you. If they do not do all the steps, the part that is not yet done, needs to get done. Go talk to them and make them look again, as it is not fully posted.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 PM

8,205 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Print off copy of the zero balance for future records.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 349 times
This exact scenario is what we are currently going through. We paid our rent online, got the confirmation email, on the apartment portal it says $0 balance and shows the charges and rent was paid but it still hasn’t been taken out of our bank. Was your situation ever corrected? Did they eventually withdraw the rent money? This is the first time something like this has ever happened to us and it has me worried. I don’t trust this new management..they don’t seem to know what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting