Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 07:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Go dig out your lease...even though you're now month to month, that lease still stands.

It's not your yard..you're paying to 'use' the yard with the stipulations laid out in your lease by your landlord.

Be careful, you're on a month to month and he can just issue a notice to vacate.

If it upsets you that much, go buy your own home, but know that you won't be able to have 'free reign' in your own yard either.

"renting is where you pay a premium for temporary, impaired use of property"

because homeowners have vested financial and lifestyle interests in minimizing the proximate supply of neighbors of economic means inferior to their own, municipalities impose property restrictions designed and intended to prevent the purchase of homes by people of inferior economic means.

in the paucity of property rights and economic liberty called municipal government, rent serfdom is a government-created condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 08:03 AM

92 posts, read 83,548 times
I feel like the OP and freemkt would make a great couple.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 AM

314 posts, read 237,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anongirl787 View Post
I feel like the OP and freemkt would make a great couple.
Thought the same and they're both single

Old 05-13-2017, 11:38 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
OP, you are so very obviously unhappy there and you are on a month to month agreement. Just move to a place that suits you better.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:12 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Well you should probably learn about them.
Yeah she should learn what to avoid.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:56 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
I had been wanting some fence boards for a project, and last week I saw there were some a few blocks down being given away. So I got some (there were some long pieces of fencing, and a bunch of boards). It was late and they were heavy, so I just set them by the garage, so I wouldn't make more noise or alarm the neighbors moving them in the backyard or into the garage. (It's a duplex. The people on the other side are related to the landlord.) Then, a few days later, the landlord texts, with a PICTURE, saying what's going on with this fence? Ummm...it's kind of creepy that I apparently can't do anything without him taking a picture of the house, and asking what's going on here...but, when the neighbors are related to the landlord... And secondly, that it's not even bothering anything. It's just a few feet long section of fencing, that I put in front of the bush in front of the window...not on the grass, so it's not obstructing the lawn mowers. So I replied, I was just storing it there, didn't think it was bothering anything...they finally responded, "Well it could be stored in the garage I guess, but if u don't have a use for it you could disposed of it. We do provide outside maintenance to your home so that the house maintains in good condition and (in part) so the neighbors feel that it looks good and limits neighborhood concerns. Thanks for your understanding."
Not sure what the problem is?

Put the boards in the garage until you are ready to use them for your project.

Do your duplex neighbors complain when you open the garage door late at night, let's say if you used the garage for your car & came home late in the evening/early am hours?

Quote:
Why does everything have to have a use? Like I said I only left it there temporarily, but if they have to get all up in arms about it after only 3 days...I thought it looked nice, added some interest and variety, and what is it hurting?
Why does everything have to have a use? Like someone else's useless fencing boards that you picked up? Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder, apparently.

Quote:
It's not in the way of anything...I certainly didn't bother hauling it, just to "dispose" of it. And what does "outside maintenance" have to do with the "condition" of the house?
The outside appearance of a house can be and is considered a "state of condition" of the house.

Quote:
I guess, the most important thing, is "so the NEIGHBORS feel that it looks good" and "limits neighborhood concerns." What is there to be concerned about over a few feet long section of fencing? And why is what the neighbors think so important? THEY'RE not the ones paying to live in THEIR house.
You're not paying to live in your house. You are paying to live in someone else's house. This is how it works when you rent.

Quote:
You would think it's the tenants that matter, not everyone else. We're the ones paying to live here, you would think that also includes the yard and being able to use and enjoy the yard. But no, I guess they are just like the majority of mindless people that think a yard is apparently just for appearances. Why bother spending all that time 'maintaining' the yard, if no one can even use it or do anything in it?
Quote:
Why does everything have to have a use?
Why does a yard have to have a "use" for anything other than looking pretty & staying maintained?

When you own the house/property/yard in which you live, you get to make those types of decisions for yourself. But still only to a certain point.

Just put your fence boards in the garage.

Quote:
I also did say I could mow the lawn, when we moved in...but they said, they have their people. It's just sort of ironic, that we can't even use or do anything in/with the yard, because the lawn people have to come and maintain said yard...of the house that we pay to live in. Yet, the yard is only there...to be maintained, apparently.
You can enjoy the yard you rent as long as you abide by the lease.

You complain, in another post, that the landscaper your LL pays for so you don't have to take care of the lawn/landscaping shows up at inopportune times. Oh well. If you can't get some boards in the garage after a few days, and you think they are interesting/provide variety, maybe your LL knows you - you might think letting the lawn go for a few months provides interest and variety to the 'hood as well.

You complain, in another post, that the landscapers hacked some shrubbery in front of a window? Not your shrub. Your LL could have had it (it all) pulled out completely. You rent, you do not own. Therefore, you have no control over what the LLs landscapers do as per the LL's instructions. Unless specified, in your lease, that "the bush under the window shall never be touched as long as xxxx rents the property".

Nothing is yours. The roof isn't yours, floor isn't yours, the sink isn't yours, the lawn/yard isn't yours, the windows are not yours, the walls are not yours, the hot water heater is not your, the a/c is not yours. You rent.

Who do you call when something is wrong with the yard, the flooring, the roof, the sink/plumbing/the windows/the hot water heater, etc. and expect to pay to fix an issue?

Exactly.

Just put your boards in the garage and move on, if you haven't.

Best of luck!

Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Not sure what the problem is?

Put the boards in the garage until you are ready to use them for your project.

Do your duplex neighbors complain when you open the garage door late at night, let's say if you used the garage for your car & came home late in the evening/early am hours?

Why does everything have to have a use? Like someone else's useless fencing boards that you picked up? Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder, apparently.

The outside appearance of a house can be and is considered a "state of condition" of the house.

You're not paying to live in your house. You are paying to live in someone else's house. This is how it works when you rent.

Why does a yard have to have a "use" for anything other than looking pretty & staying maintained?

When you own the house/property/yard in which you live, you get to make those types of decisions for yourself. But still only to a certain point.

Just put your fence boards in the garage.

You can enjoy the yard you rent as long as you abide by the lease.

You complain, in another post, that the landscaper your LL pays for so you don't have to take care of the lawn/landscaping shows up at inopportune times. Oh well. If you can't get some boards in the garage after a few days, and you think they are interesting/provide variety, maybe your LL knows you - you might think letting the lawn go for a few months provides interest and variety to the 'hood as well.

You complain, in another post, that the landscapers hacked some shrubbery in front of a window? Not your shrub. Your LL could have had it (it all) pulled out completely. You rent, you do not own. Therefore, you have no control over what the LLs landscapers do as per the LL's instructions. Unless specified, in your lease, that "the bush under the window shall never be touched as long as xxxx rents the property".

Nothing is yours. The roof isn't yours, floor isn't yours, the sink isn't yours, the lawn/yard isn't yours, the windows are not yours, the walls are not yours, the hot water heater is not your, the a/c is not yours. You rent.

Who do you call when something is wrong with the yard, the flooring, the roof, the sink/plumbing/the windows/the hot water heater, etc. and expect to pay to fix an issue?

Exactly.

Just put your boards in the garage and move on, if you haven't.

Best of luck!

I have absolutely no idea, I have never met or talked with the landlord, and in 18 months have not had any need to inquire.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,876 times
Well, the thing is OP, it started out as not moving them into the garage because it was late, and you didn't want to bother the neighbors. That makes sense, and they probably wouldn't have bothered anyone for being out there overnight/in the early morning, until you were able to move them into the garage at a more sensible hour.

But you didn't move them the next day...they sat there for three days. Could that have turned into a week? A couple of weeks? A month? A couple of months?

That's the kind of thing that the landlord is worried about. And to be honest, it's something that he has a right to be worried about. It might seem like he's being a hardass -- and yes, a couple of days isn't a big deal, necessarily -- but it's better for him to stay on top of things rather than waiting until it gets out of control. Sure, a couple of pieces of fencing might not seem like a big deal...until you bring in more similar items, and they start to pile up. No, it might not ever get out of control with you, but that might be something he has to worry about with other tenants.

Also, it's kind of a shame that you don't understand the value of lawn care. Sure, having to bring in your blanket and stop sunbathing at a random time because the lawn crew "just shows up out of nowhere" might be annoying, but dealing with knee-high grass would be much worse.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:43 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,876 times
Quote:
They're not the ones that live here. I'm the one paying all the money to live here, and actually living in the place...so it's kind of anal to care so much what they place looks like, when they don't even live here.

wow, when I'm 40? what a life to look forward to.
Wow. People care about what the properties around them look like because they have to look at the junk. If the junk attracts pests, it can affect people in the directly surrounding areas, ESPECIALLY in a duplex. And, well, the landlord certainly has a financial interest in how his property looks.

Quote:
who's 'they'? Don't you think the 10's of thousands of dollars that we've paid here over 8 years, is an 'investment?'
No. By its very nature, renting is not an investment at all. You are paying to use someone else's property, much like a hotel room, but for a longer period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"renting is where you pay a premium for temporary, impaired use of property"

because homeowners have vested financial and lifestyle interests in minimizing the proximate supply of neighbors of economic means inferior to their own, municipalities impose property restrictions designed and intended to prevent the purchase of homes by people of inferior economic means.

in the paucity of property rights and economic liberty called municipal government, rent serfdom is a government-created condition.
There are pros and cons to both renting and owning. When I rented, I thought finally owning our own home would be glorious as well...and then we bought one. And then the HVAC system quit right after we bought it...$4,000. That's only the beginning.

Yes, you have fewer restrictions...you don't have a landlord "breathing down your neck" about things, for example. But you have to worry about maintenance and taxes...not cheap. You can't just call a landlord, complain and have someone on the way to fix it when something goes wrong.

You also can't decide, "Hey, I don't like living here" and just move out at the end of your lease, which means you're usually only "stuck" in a place for a year or less.

Renting has its disadvantages for sure, but I've done both, and my husband and I are thinking about selling our home and renting a home for a while in another state. Granted, the renting vs. buying decision is more based on the fact that we are moving far, far away from home and don't want to be "stuck" if we don't like it, but I have to say that I'm looking forward to just paying rent and not worrying about anything else again...

Also, just because you own doesn't mean that you don't have to answer to anyone. You might live in an HOA and have TONS of restrictions there. Even if you purposely avoid an HOA, there are still city/town/county ordinances.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:13 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have absolutely no idea, I have never met or talked with the landlord, and in 18 months have not had any need to inquire.
Go to the storage bin you left your balls in, find 'em, dust them off and figure it out.

Or....

Stop paying rent.

Once you stop paying rent, who is going to kick you out or start the eviction process?

The non-existent LL or the drunk rent collector who lets people live in the garage with a baby?

Is that garage legal rental space? Do either of them (drunk rent collector or ghost LL ) really want to end up in court? Do either of them want CPS or the local city housing authority going through the house?

Drunk dude can't change locks on you. He doesn't own the place. Stop paying rent & save your $$ for a downpayment elsewhere.

A place that doesn't have a drunk rent collector let alone the FBI, or Homeland Security or the CIA or Verizon or a court order or a parole officer, that won't even allow the drunk rent collector & anyone he happens to collect rent from/live with internet access to eBay.

And HOW is he so big/bad/has internet restrictions against him...yet is the one you ALL pay rent to?

Who IS the LL? Do you even know?

If half of what you have said, over the years, is true? Drunk rent collector probably isn't allowed to be around a child (like the one living in the garage).

Or you're just full of ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting