Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times

Advertisements

I have a single family house for lease. Posted yesterday evening, have over 60 inquiries in less than 20 hours. Our tight rental market causes me, as a landlord, lots of angst when I have a place for lease because I have a strong desire to be even-handed with all who inquire. I have pretty stringent requirements regarding income-to-rent ratio, credit scores, etc. etc. So, typically I make appointments with the 3-5 first who meet my qualifications. And usually they all want the place and the best qualified gets a lease. Out of 60 inquiries so far only 3 meet qualifications of the 8 who responded back from my initial email detailing qualifications. The other 5 responded asking for me to "work with them." I am still geting inquiries at the daytime rate of about 4 an hour, so not firmly identifying my appointments yet. But I want to be fair.

One of the 3 wrote that she moved to an apartment last summer with her teen son (escaping an abusive marriage) and now hopes to lease this house. Her alleged income meets our guidelines. I am reluctant to consider a working parent with a teenager beause I am concerned about what will be going on in the house after school while the parent works. I was a working parent and my teen caused many problems having friends over while I was at work. Also, when I was in middle school I had a friend whose parents both worked and they had many parties after school where some very wild stuff happened. Lots of smoking in the house and even a rape. Different time, different people.

I have never leased a house to a family where a teen will be alone in the house after school. Just wondering if anyone here has a good or bad landlord experience with this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
If you're not sure that you want to rent to that person, it seems you have a lot more options to choose from. I see no reason to go with one that might give you heartburn.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
Single family house. Who is responsible for the lawn/exterior care?

Don't expect the teen to do it. Will mom assume responsibility ?

Teens have friends- expect many cars in the driveway when he is entertaining friends. Expect parties. He may have a girlfriend / boyfriend move in without telling you. Then again he may move out on his own soon but don't bet on it.

You already have reservations about the situation so it might be best to let this prospective tenant glide on by.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,804,502 times
I think you have to meet them and go with your gut. While teens can be wild, this generation seems far more serene and settled than others. I have a 17 year old who has never thrown parties, is very respectful and considerate as is my 14 yo. We left the 17yo for a week out of the country in spring break. While the house wasn't as neat as I would have liked upon return, it took about 15 minutes to get it there.

Another factor is they likely have been thru a lot if she is leaving an abusive relationship. That teen may be more mature than many adults.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:02 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I have a single family house for lease.
Posted yesterday evening, have over 60 inquiries in less than 20 hours.
Out of 60 inquiries so far only 3 meet qualifications ...
This 3:60 ratio implies that either you have really weak advertising (text/images/placement)...
or you're asking for too much in rent for that neighborhood --even in a tight market.

Quote:
...of the 8 (out of 60) who responded back from my initial email detailing qualifications.
More detail of your expected qualification in the advertising is probably called for as well.
Less wheel spinning and wasting of your time.

How long have the last few tenants remained in place?
High turnovers are often about too high rent.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-16-2017 at 05:13 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
I admire your desire to be fair. But remember to be fair to yourself also, and don't take any risks which you can't afford to take.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Remember that its illegal to discriminate based on gender or familial status.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This 3:60 ratio implies that either you have really weak advertising (text/images/placement)...
or you're asking for too much in rent for that neighborhood --even in a tight market.

More detail of your expected qualification in the advertising is probably called for as well.
Less wheel spinning and wasting of your time.

How long have the last few tenants remained in place?
High turnovers are often about too high rent.
Question was about unsupervised teens in the house. Thanks, I am not needing guidance on other areas at this time.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Remember that its illegal to discriminate based on gender or familial status.
Thanks; I do know this and status isn't the issue. Unsupervised teens is the issue.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:57 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Question was about unsupervised teens in the house.
I beg to differ.

The Q you have is about the dearth of "qualified" applicants you're getting
which is forcing you to even consider allowing a "teen left alone" scenario...
regardless of other qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting