Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,820 times

Advertisements

My lease is up at the end of April. I received a renewal notice on Monday, March 23rd. I signed a new lease and turned it in. I was called to the office to sign more documents regarding pet fees. I was initially informed a pet deposit is $150, but was later informed it would be two $150 deposits, one refundable an the or nonrefundable. The document that was provided to me and I initially signed only said one $150 deposit. In addition to that, $10 additional per month for "Pet rent", increase in trash fee, and $25 processing fee. I advised the office manager I may change my mind regarding renewing my lease. She informed me that since I've already signed the lease I would be responsible for paying a reletting fee even though I still have a about five days before the required 30 day notice.

To my understanding the reletting fee is for making up for the landlord's losses. The law forbids you from being penalized from breaking a lease early. You are not supposed to be penalized. Technically speaking, they have no losses since I'm still giving a 30 day notice as required. They still have time to find another tenant. Can they legally charge me a reletting fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:37 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
1. What state are you in?

2. What is the start and end date of the old lease?

3. What is the notice requirement for lease termination in the old lease.

4. Same as #2 but for the new lease.

5. Same as #3 but for the new lease.

6. What law are you talking about that forbids you from being penalized for breaking a lease early?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I would go back and say that the lease did not disclose ALL the other charges they are now tacking in. No they haven't had any losses. I would give notice and it should give them plenty of time to get another tenant.
Give 30 day notice for existing lease

Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
A lease can't be changed after the fact and any change offered after the fact can be honored if both sides agree and otherwise the lease stands as it was signed.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Texas Tenant Advisor

Texas Tenant Advisor

Old 03-27-2015, 09:35 AM

306 posts, read 549,738 times
If they signed the lease without all that other stuff, tough sh*t for them. They can't modify the terms and force you to comply. If you actually have the lease signed by them without those provisions I would think you could stay there and tell them to pound sand about the rest of it as long as pets were already discussed in your lease. If not, walk, I don't think they could win with this.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,376 times
I renewed my lease for the 2 bedroom while waiting for a one bedroom apartment at this same complex that was supposed to be ready for move in the previous month. Another month has gone by and the apartment is still not ready. So I asked to be be let out of the contract since the 1 bedroom apartment still is not ready. Well they've pretty much tricked me into staying in the 2 bedroom apartment, telling me to sign the lease agreement because although didn't have my 1 bedroom until ready and they wouldn't allow me to wait in the 2 bedroom units without a lease. Was told that they would modify the apartment numbers once they move me to the 1 bedroom. The price for the 1 bedroom apartment is $120 less than the 2 bedroom apartment. So my request was denied.

Last edited by Maya George; 05-22-2017 at 10:55 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 07:00 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya George View Post
I renewed my lease for the 2 bedroom while waiting for a one bedroom apartment at this same complex that was supposed to be ready for move in the previous month. Another month has gone by and the apartment is still not ready. So I asked to be be let out of the contract since the 1 bedroom apartment still is not ready. Well they've pretty much tricked me into staying in the 2 bedroom apartment, telling me to sign the lease agreement because although didn't have my 1 bedroom until ready and they wouldn't allow me to wait in the 2 bedroom units without a lease. Was told that they would modify the apartment numbers once they move me to the 1 bedroom. The price for the 1 bedroom apartment is $120 less than the 2 bedroom apartment. So my request was denied.
Was the agreement to switch from a 2 bed to 1 bed written on paper or verbal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting