Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:23 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,058,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Well that's always a plus!
Yeah, now I just need to figure out a way to quantify what we paid for the hotel.

Since I wasn't super hopeful of getting reimbursed (should have had more faith in our insurance company, I guess!), I used Hyatt points. To further complicate matters, I only booked one night, but then was reminded by my wife that we'd need to stay two nights since that's what the carpet repair people have said, and ended up booking the second one at the hotel. Now, when I requested our bill, I got something that showed $87.40 spent ($40 + taxes) per night, which was a dummy charge on a points reservation, but don't have a bill that shows the actual points spent (just a one-line charge to my World of Hyatt account online). Furthermore, it looks like we weren't even charged for the second night somehow (good news for our insurance company, I guess).

As for the points, there are ways to show their value (either through The Points Guy's website or through Hyatt's Purchase Points site) and hopefully MetLife will accept that. Food is easier with credit card statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 12:32 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
I doubt any insurance company will reimburse you value of points. But good luck trying.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I doubt any insurance company will reimburse you value of points. But good luck trying.
If you roll back a couple of pages, people were saying I wouldn't even get them to pay for anything at all. It might be tough, but even if they don't, I'm only out 5,000 for two nights, it looks like.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:14 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,728,251 times
About six years ago I was living in this one rental house. The irrigation in the front yard broke causing a literal flood in our house that effected half the house. One half of the house was completely uninhabitable due to it being tarped off from the restoration company the landlord hired. We had two of those blowers going 24 hours for nearly a month. I know just how loud it was and living with that noise was terrible. We could have made demands upon our landlord, such as to reduce rent due to half the house being unusable due to it being tarped off and also the fact that the dehumidifier (commercial version) and both blowers used our electricity 24 hours a day for nearly a month. However, our landlord was a decent person and never increased the rent on us for all the years we lived there, so we just let it go. OP, unfortunately this is just one of those bullets you're just going to have to bite. We lived with two of those air blowers AND a loud commercial dehumidifier for a month! Our house sounded like a tarmac of a busy airport.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
OP, unfortunately this is just one of those bullets you're just going to have to bite.
Actually, it doesn't look like that at all. Sorry about your experience - that would have driven me insane.

As for not making demands - the human aspect comes in to your situation a lot more than ours, since you dealt with the actual owner, rather than a corporate employee, but I'm a little bit surprised that this decent human being saw it fit to collect the same amount in rent given you were only using half of what you were paying for (not to mention must have run up quite the electricity bill!). Now, in the long run, had he been raising your rent, you probably would have ended up paying more over the years than you would have saved from that month, so I totally understand why you didn't raise the issue, but the decent thing to do (since, presumably, this wasn't your fault) would have been for him to proactively offer to discount that month for you due to the inconvenience.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 05-31-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 02:59 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,515,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Got a call from the insurance company a few minutes ago. The deductible does not apply to hotel stays and meals - only personal items lost. Sounds like they don't think I should have been forced to stay in the apartment, which is nice. They asked for my hotel bill and meal receipts (though I suspect they will take a credit card statement, as well), so it sounds like they are willing to work with me.
Good Luck!!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't look like that at all. Sorry about your experience - that would have driven me insane.

As for not making demands - the human aspect comes in to your situation a lot more than ours, since you dealt with the actual owner, rather than a corporate employee, but I'm a little bit surprised that this decent human being saw it fit to collect the same amount in rent given you were only using half of what you were paying for (not to mention must have run up quite the electricity bill!). Now, in the long run, had he been raising your rent, you probably would have ended up paying more over the years than you would have saved from that month, so I totally understand why you didn't raise the issue, but the decent thing to do (since, presumably, this wasn't your fault) would have been for him to proactively offer to discount that month for you due to the inconvenience.
It was an inner struggle I had with myself. I didn't pursue any refund from my electricity or demand lower rent because the owner installed an a/c for us (when we moved in, we had a swamp cooler. Summers here in Phoenix Arizona are a nightmare. ) and he was always prompt on repairs. Plus, like I said, he could have raised the rent $60,$70 a month each time we signed the lease but didn't. In fact, one year he actually LOWERED the rent by $20 simply because we were the first tenants to pay our rent on time each month and not destroy his house.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:16 PM

903 posts, read 854,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
It was an inner struggle I had with myself. I didn't pursue any refund from my electricity or demand lower rent because the owner installed an a/c for us (when we moved in, we had a swamp cooler. Summers here in Phoenix Arizona are a nightmare. ) and he was always prompt on repairs. Plus, like I said, he could have raised the rent $60,$70 a month each time we signed the lease but didn't. In fact, one year he actually LOWERED the rent by $20 simply because we were the first tenants to pay our rent on time each month and not destroy his house.
Dude,

That's the kind of landlord you hold onto like grim death (as he/she is obviously doing for a great tenant, YOU). I know it's weird getting kudos for just living normally but many landlords/tenants fail at this.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Dude,

That's the kind of landlord you hold onto like grim death (as he/she is obviously doing for a great tenant, YOU). I know it's weird getting kudos for just living normally but many landlords/tenants fail at this.
Oh absolutely! I would have kept renting from him but he decided to sell the house. It was his moms house and when she died he decided to rent it out, got tired of being a landlord and sold.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:16 PM

13,041 posts, read 20,698,725 times
Quote:
Got a call from the insurance company a few minutes ago. The deductible does not apply to hotel stays and meals - only personal items lost. Sounds like they don't think I should have been forced to stay in the apartment, which is nice. They asked for my hotel bill and meal receipts (though I suspect they will take a credit card statement, as well), so it sounds like they are willing to work with me.
Renter's insurance is as varied as all other insurance, you can have a limited policy that only pays if your property is damaged from an alien attack from space, or one (many of my group's tenants probably have these) that lets you hire labors to carry you and your grocery bags up 2 flights of stairs if the elevator take more than 1 minuet to arrive. Since they vary so much, taking a chance at a claim is never a bad thing if the out of pocket cost you incur are high enough. Of course, companies are really good at hugging you as you make a claim and just as good as whacking your head with a 2X4 by denying the payout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting