Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,330,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What's with all the 1 post wonders in this forum lately with bizarre stories?
Kids are out of school for the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,435,874 times
Well, sounds like it's time to choose between boyfriend and the house.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM

8,855 posts, read 5,331,664 times
I'd guess your landlord is saying BTDT, and doesn't want to risk another DV incident on his/her property.

I'd say if you want to have the boyfriend visit you in your home, you need to move.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM

586 posts, read 550,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lushomatic78 View Post
I live in a small town in California. I have lived in my home for 11 years and three of those years my boyfriend lived with me. At one point my boyfriend and I were involved in a domestic violence issue. We went through legal issues he served some time he did his court appointed programs successfully and we have worked through our issues and we have had no issues since. My landlord's first and foremost were my employers for the last 14 years and when a home came available on their property they rented it to me. I am treated like family and I consider them family as well but ever since the domestic violence issues and even after his successful completion of programs they don't care for him. He no longer resides with me and hasn't for the last 2 years but they have told me that he cannot come on the property visit me at anytime or I would have to find another place to live. My boyfriend has done nothing but help me improve the status of my home for example building a beautiful backyard and helping me make it better. I understand they care for me like any other family member would but I think it's completely unfair that they won't allow my boyfriend to visit for even 10 minutes. He doesn't even spend the night. Can they legally kick me out if I have my boyfriend on the property visiting me because of a personal issue they have? He has never caused any problems with any other tenants on the property and is not a nuisance in any way. I have tried to talk to them about this issue and they said the choice is up to me either he doesn't come on the property or I have to find another place to live. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to cause a rift between my landlords who is also like my family and I don't think it's fair for my boyfriend and I to be treated like this. Any help would be appreciated.
Consider yourself fortunate that your landlord has invested in you as a person rather than just a source of income.

Therefore, it's kind of a shame that you are taking a dump on their feelings (which have been clearly expressed, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking your question), and you're wasting time actually hypothesizing whether you could sue them because Bully The Ex-Con is more important to you than you are to you.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:18 PM

525 posts, read 656,704 times
Your landlord is not "like family". They are your landlord. Most of the landlord tenant issues on this forum and others are because people starting treating a landlord-tenant agreement as anything other than a business.

I would hope your landlord doesn't care that you don't think it's "fair"; I know I don't. No one promised you a rose garden, and your chosen one isn't chosen by anyone besides you.

If you are asking for advice, start searching for a new place to live if your boyfriend is more important than your roof over your head. That roof belongs to someone else and they are not as enthralled with your boyfriend as you are.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,563,184 times
I wouldn't want him on the property either and possible wouldn't want you there either but i dont the details of the domestic violence. If a woman is still seeing a man after he physical abused her then something is wrong in her head. Shows she makes poor decisions in life and will eventually date another abuser that causes problems on the property or worse kills you. Snap out of it there are plenty of men out there that don't abuse women. Stop trying to "save" these "men"

Old 06-06-2017, 06:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,825,871 times
I'm a landlord. Trust me, I could kick you out and I would. I've kicked people out for less, and always laugh when they tell me I can't kick them out and don't make the rules at my house....

I remind them that I'm the owner, I make the rules and I can decide what types of guests, pets, and other conditions of the lease are allowed. I'd give you 20 days notice to vacate. If you decided not to, I'd take you to court, show the judge the notice I gave you to move out of my house, and he/she would give me an order I can take to the Sheriff and schedule them to come out and put your crap on the curb.

Don't argue with your landlord...

Old 06-06-2017, 06:17 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
Your landlord is not "like family". They are your landlord. Most of the landlord tenant issues on this forum and others are because people starting treating a landlord-tenant agreement as anything other than a business.

I would hope your landlord doesn't care that you don't think it's "fair"; I know I don't. No one promised you a rose garden, and your chosen one isn't chosen by anyone besides you.

If you are asking for advice, start searching for a new place to live if your boyfriend is more important than your roof over your head. That roof belongs to someone else and they are not as enthralled with your boyfriend as you are.
Exactly. I had this trailer trash of a tenant call me all kinds of slurs and call me mean, telling me I'm always mean to her. Yeah, when you trash my house, don't pay your rent, have unauthorized dogs and are subletting rooms (not allowed) not to mention smoking in my house, oh and did I mention trying to do unauthorized remodeling work and then mucking it up and expecting ME to fix your idiocy, I have a tendency to be "mean". Alas, this little dummy fled before she was arrested after her latest tirade. I sent this little loser to collections. Good luck!

I've had a few other tenants at my rental houses over the years who get lippy when I charge the late fee for paying rent late, a fee they agreed to when they signed the lease. Let's just say they have all learned getting lippy with your landlord when you are late is NOT the right way to handle it. They thought I was their friend. They quickly learned that this is a BUSINESS for me, not a charity for loser adult children...

Old 06-07-2017, 03:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,637 times
So sorry to waste your time with my my "one time wonder". Perhaps what is trivial or unimportant to you means something to another. I simply needed to hear some first hand experiences or knowledge. Did your mother not teach you that if you have nothing nice or constructive to say, say nothing at all.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,911,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lushomatic78 View Post
So sorry to waste your time with my my "one time wonder". Perhaps what is trivial or unimportant to you means something to another. I simply needed to hear some first hand experiences or knowledge. Did your mother not teach you that if you have nothing nice or constructive to say, say nothing at all.
didn't your mother teach you have more self respect than to hang out with losers? You can assign for advice and got it..just because you don't like doesn't mean it's not accurate.

Are you month to month or are you renewing a lease every year? If you're on a month to month lease all they have to do is issue you a 30 day notice that Loser Boy is no longer allowed on the property and there's nothing you can do about it. If you agree to it, he doesn't come over. If you don't agree to it, you move.

I suggest you read your original lease and see what it says about criminals on the property.....most, even those 11 yrs old, address criminals, crimes and domestic issues; so if you're violating that lease, in any way, he can evict you.

make your choice..Loser Boy or your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting